Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Has anyone any experience in this type of rat trap? I’ve been catching rats regularly in the neighbours gardens for a few years now. My other 2 cage traps are old as the hills, rectangle elevated door plate activated standard traps. I catch in them all the time. Never had any success in this trap at all. Don’t think it’s up to much and a very bad design, I get the impression that they would be able to get out of it easily if you could get one to enter it to begin with that is lol. Just looking to know if anyone has any insight on the matter, cheers 

 

ABF5761C-3843-484E-9E2E-8252F68B8CAA.png

Edited by THE GENERAL
Link to post

Pretty sure this is called a monarch type trap. Have used it on a couple of occasions but in all fairness live trapping rats is alot more hassle than it's worth. Would rather be using snap traps or fenns in boxes. ATB

  • Like 1
Link to post
46 minutes ago, TheRatMan said:

Pretty sure this is called a monarch type trap. Have used it on a couple of occasions but in all fairness live trapping rats is alot more hassle than it's worth. Would rather be using snap traps or fenns in boxes. ATB

Have you had any success with them at all? No hassle at all i enjoy it.

Link to post
1 hour ago, TheRatMan said:

Pretty sure this is called a monarch type trap.

Yep. As originally supplied by S. Young & Sons (Misterton) (Click Here)

As Dan says; Great on younger rats, for some reason. Dunno why. But, I've seen one so crammed with them, I don't reckon ye could have squeezed another one in! :icon_eek: Strange.

  • Like 2
Link to post

I have one I was given, I put it on the shelf in the workshop and never used it for a couple of years, then I spotted it and took it off the shelf to look at and put it down on the bench and went off done something else, couple of days later I went in the workshop and feck me there was 2 hound rats in it, no boat, no effort, nothing, so I baited it and not had anything since but the fens get one or two every night.

  • Haha 1
Link to post

We tried one in the grain store at a piggery  for some reason we put a pie in it , We caught nothing then one morning there was a few sparrows in it and a rat which had beheaded the spuggies the dog sorted him out and we caught nothing since then in it 

Link to post

I've had rats in a similar type of trap. As others have said, mainly youngsters. If you are going to dispatch them by shooting you'll need a comb in order to stop them running about.

Link to post
On 06/01/2022 at 08:06, Nicepix said:

I've had rats in a similar type of trap. As others have said, mainly youngsters. If you are going to dispatch them by shooting you'll need a comb in order to stop them running about.

Similar type trap? Not the same then. 
No comb needed. I can catch them the best, dispatch accordingly. This trap I’ve had no results on, hence the thread. Atb 
 

Link to post
4 hours ago, THE GENERAL said:

Similar type trap? Not the same then. 
No comb needed. I can catch them the best, dispatch accordingly. This trap I’ve had no results on, hence the thread. Atb 
 

Exactly the same design, but different trade name or manufacturer. Some have counter balanced trapdoors, others sprung ones. I would be interested in how you dispatch them? 

Link to post
13 hours ago, Nicepix said:

Exactly the same design, but different trade name or manufacturer. Some have counter balanced trapdoors, others sprung ones. I would be interested in how you dispatch them? 

This one is a counterbalanced trap, I’d firmly say it’s the worst trap I’ve ever owned. I’m sure you are

Link to post

Yes, they are poor. I have four. Three were gifts from customers who had no luck with them. One is a counter balanced mouse trap. Small mice can get through the bars and bigger mice could pull the trapdoor open. The last bit was solved by adding weight to the mechanism. I suspect that older rats manage to get the trapdoor open on the larger spring operated traps, but I haven't yet seen that to confirm it. But the only time I caught ratus ratus in one was when I'd put a break back trap inside. The bait had been taken on three nights withot a capture so I put a Springer trap inside.

  • Like 1
Link to post
On 10/01/2022 at 06:33, Nicepix said:

Yes, they are poor. I have four. Three were gifts from customers who had no luck with them. One is a counter balanced mouse trap. Small mice can get through the bars and bigger mice could pull the trapdoor open. The last bit was solved by adding weight to the mechanism. I suspect that older rats manage to get the trapdoor open on the larger spring operated traps, but I haven't yet seen that to confirm it. But the only time I caught ratus ratus in one was when I'd put a break back trap inside. The bait had been taken on three nights withot a capture so I put a Springer trap inside.

Surprised me today when I checked two traps I had set was one in each of them, maybe not that bad after all lol

5631A7D8-D850-4001-AE58-F5F5F3B34D45.png

  • Haha 1
Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...