Finally found one

9 hours ago, Wolfdog91 said:

Main thing people liked about them was the fact their switch barrel's and they where low priced .You buy one receiver ( man's most of the times youd but a rifle shot gun combo so like a 20ga barrel and a .243 scoped barrel for like $350)  and with just a Phillips head screwdriver pop one screw and go from a .22 lr to about anything under the sun. 

Like if I wanted to I could swap this barrel and hand gaurd over and put the barrel from my .22 hornet on it in litterly like a minute

IMG_20220119_142203064.jpg.e5bcb9860e1b70bd605d942032078c38.jpg

He's a short list of chamberings just for the handi rifle model

Handi-Rifle (Single-shot): Calibers: .17 HMR, .204 Ruger, .22 LR, .22 WMR, .22-250 Remington, .223 Remington, .243 Winchester, .25-06 Remington, .270 Winchester, .280 Remington, 7mm-08 Remington, .308 Winchester, .30-06 Springfield .30-30 Winchester, .300 AAC Blackout, .444 Marlin, .45 LC, .45/70 Government, and .500 S&W. Also available with pairs of handgun/rifled slug barrels in .357 Magnum/20-gauge and .44 Magnum/12-gauge 

No to mention you can buy base batteries rent a hand reamer and rem them out to stuff like a .357 maximum. That also had some more caliber later on like 6.5 x 55 swiss 7.62x39 and a bunch more I can't remember but tier harder to find

And barrels where cheap, think like $250 Max for some of the reallly nice ones. But for like $150 you could order whatever barrel you wanted though the mail with no paper work or anything.

My first real kinda gun was actually a a NEF ( basically the same thing) with a .22lr barrel and a .410 barrel.  At ten I could swap barrel shoot  and maintain that little gun no problem. Still have it actually

That and they just plain worked . I actually have two or three old one from like 1905 basically the same gun stocks are held together with duct tape but they just Plain work.

Lots and lots of kids got them for their first rifles because again you can start them out on a .22lr for squirrels then a. 410 for rabbit and just keep moving on up.

They also had a few different versions to fit eveyone you had basic ones for cheap truck guns ,youth models ,some varmit stuff like mine even survival versions with cool stock with hidden compartments

For me personally it's more a emotional thing because me and dad always talking about getting this excact one for me as my first center fire but never got around too it lol. All in all their just good cheap versatile little guns that generally just work. Shame they stopped production in 2018 I think . So now prices are through the roof. Honestly though the way you guys are over there's I'm surprised they didn't take off much in the UK or at least someone over there copy them

There you go, that's pretty much all new to me, and I guess most people in the UK!

Honestly though the way you guys are over there's I'm surprised they didn't take off much in the UK or at least someone over there copy them.........Maybe licencing, we can't just swap calibres/barrels about, we need a ticket for each.

Then again it seems things have moved on your part of the world as well if they have ceased production.

If it works for you and you want one that's all that matters, there is a lot of emotion in shooting, and why not?! :thumbs:

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Deker said:

There you go, that's pretty much all new to me, and I guess most people in the UK!

Honestly though the way you guys are over there's I'm surprised they didn't take off much in the UK or at least someone over there copy them.........Maybe licencing, we can't just swap calibres/barrels about, we need a ticket for each.

Then again it seems things have moved on your part of the world as well if they have ceased production.

If it works for you and you want one that's all that matters, there is a lot of emotion in shooting, and why not?! :thumbs:

Yeah, I cry like a baby when it comes to paying ?

• Haha 1

Here it was popular to have combination guns like Tikkakoski/Valmet 412/512 with different barrels kombination like 12g-222r, express 2* .308w, and 2* 12g. I have an older tikka in 12*222r for the same kind of hunting you would use a NEF for. 

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, KimE said:

Here it was popular to have combination guns like Tikkakoski/Valmet 412/512 with different barrels kombination like 12g-222r, express 2* .308w, and 2* 12g. I have an older tikka in 12*222r for the same kind of hunting you would use a NEF for. 

I like combination guns.

Owned a couple of Savage arms m24's years ago. Surprisingly very good and useful.

A workmate has told stories about his Savage 20g-22wmr  he used it mostly for hunting birds with a barking dog, he did also shot a wounded bull moose at 15m at age 17. My Tikka m69 have I had sence I were 20y it was my only gun beside my 6,5mm moose rifle for my first 20y of hunting, hare,fox, birds, roedeer.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Deker said:

O yeah ? forgot y'all had that ticket thing, yeah then there's would be near about worthless to the lot of y'all then.  It forgot why they stopped making them exactly, honestly I think it's because the AR-15 is just a more versatile caliber swap option . H&R's still have a cult following though. $300 guns are now $6-700 all day and God forbid your trying to find something like their buffalo classic in 45/70 !

11314301_01_h_r_buffalo_classic_45_70_640.jpg.99434e021c045fd400d30ce3448a6f27.jpg

Might as well just save another $200 odd buck and get you a pedersoli for the price folks are asking ?

• Like 1

That is one lovely stock and exactly why I'm not a synthetic fan.

Laminated are just as stable, easier to remove scratches from a look a million dollars.

That looks like a proper Safari rifle from the 1950's when beautiful stocks were all the rage and guns were treasured and displayed on walls, not just thrown in cabinet. It's the exact opposite of some plastic Chinese back street factory knock out which is what synthetics look like these days.