Poly tunnel pest control

6 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

wouldnt netting it be easiest and cheapest mate 

I do net brassicas normally (broccoli,cabbage when on the little rased beds I grow on but that’s to stop birds an butterfly laying eggs on 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

come on @chartpolski your a gardener been about since before everyone shopped for veg ??

what sort of soil compost mix does he need with percent a maure etc for a good harvest mate 

That last big storm took my poly tunnel cover right off ! 

My own fault. Should have removed it for the winter !

As far as slugs go, I just use the blue pellets from the pound shop. I understand your reluctance to use chemicals, I try to be as organic as possible, but they are the only thing that seems to be effective.

By the way, everything in my polytunnel is in 25 litre containers, not direct into the ground.

mC , I use equal amounts of well rotted horse shite, compost and soil.

Cheers.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, mC HULL said:

ive never grown veg but id go top soil manure load a leafs and some blood and bone meal lol

how would that work

I’ve done no dig gardening here the last 3 yrs an grown some great food I normally add one Bag of bought manure an 2x bags of compost per rased bed It’s a expensive old doo i bought the chickens for my kids to make our own manure an for the eggs I’ve also bought 2x compost bins to compost all the house hold waist as our local council want to charge us a extra £40 a year to take a compostable waist away

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

As far as slugs go, I just use the blue pellets from the pound shop. I understand your reluctance to use chemicals, I try to be as organic as possible, but they are the only thing that seems to be effective.

By the way, everything in my polytunnel is in 25 litre containers, not direct into the ground.

Cheers.

That makes sense the containers mate??

I've done no-dig for years, just rotorvate it in every three years.

Make my own compost, and the chicken and duck shite goes in as well, the pikeys have horses literally outside my Allotments so plenty of horse shite aswell, make sure the poultry and horse shite is well rotted or the acid will kill the plants.

For root veg, I mix in some sharp sand into the beds.

Shop bought compost is far to expensive, defeats the point of growing your own stuff. Pleanty leaf mould around for free !

Cheers.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

I've done no-dig for years, just rotorvate it in every three years.

Make my own compost, and the chicken and duck shite goes in as well, the pikeys have horses literally outside my Allotments so plenty of horse shite aswell, make sure the poultry and horse shite is well rotted or the acid will kill the plants.

For root veg, I mix in some sharp sand into the beds.

Shop bought compost is far to expensive, defeats the point of growing your own stuff. Pleanty leaf mould around for free !

Cheers.

This year because of having the chickens I put there run on one of the raised beds added straw an leafs as a litter for them to scratch an till in to the ground I’ve done it as a little experiment I had them on there for 30 days an just kept adding leafs 

BBD56C45-D4A7-4006-98EF-C663CD5F2822.jpeg

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, poxon said:

This year because of having the chickens I put there run on one of the raised beds added straw an leafs as a litter for them to scratch an till in to the ground I’ve done it as a little experiment I had them on there for 30 days an just kept adding leafs 

BBD56C45-D4A7-4006-98EF-C663CD5F2822.jpeg

That's perfect. 

When I got the adjoining allotment, I moved all the poultry into there and I built a raised bed where the chicken run used to be. Years of chicken shite and straw, just turned it over and put turnip plugs in that I'd grown from seed in the greenhouse, and the came up great.

Cheers.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, chartpolski said:

Cheers.

I use slug pellets, I'm just careful where I use em. I put little piles under slates in the corners. Try to keep em away from my crop and poisoned slugs away from birds 

• Like 1

@poxon if you google raised bed chicken run there are articles where they have row of raised beds the chickens are in one ,ones fallow an others are planted .

idea being that the chickens deweed and fertilise one bed the previous one they been in is left fallow for few months as the chicken poop is to hot for the plants an may burn them , and you grow veg in others . People have also done it in strips along flat veg gardens.?

• Like 1