Working whippet

6 minutes ago, riverliver123 said:

To those who work whippets - what do do you think of pennymeadow whippets? - the working strain. Some are bred for racing - some for show ?. Want a working whippet bitch next Spring/summer to go with my lurcher.

IMG_20211217_091927.jpg

They have them in Australia ?

Cheers.

• Haha 1
17 hours ago, riverliver123 said:

To those who work whippets - what do do you think of pennymeadow whippets? - the working strain. Some are bred for racing - some for show ?. Want a working whippet bitch next Spring/summer to go with my lurcher.

IMG_20211217_091927.jpg

U wont go wrong wid a pennymeadow mate and jeff is a sound bloke.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, riverliver123 said:

I know, but there's so much to choose from...definitely won't be a Chiwawa. Although they'd be a good size for rabbit holes...

depends what you want it for really, decide what you will be doing the most and then decide ?

22 hours ago, fred90 said:

depends what you want it for really, decide what you will be doing the most and then decide ?

Rabbits only. Ferreting and lamping. A bit of terrier appealed for the tuffness of it but I reckon a pure whippet will be tuff enough. The speed of the pure whippet appeals. ?

The title "working whippet" is just a way to sell pups. It would be very unusual to raise a whippet with no or poor prey drive. If I were to buy a whippet pup I would choose a non ped whippet from racing stock...... brilliant, driven, but sensible dogs.? You wouldn't be sold a lightweight pup 17 _ 25 pounds. But bigger pups up to 50 pounds are sometimes available. Dogs of this size are often very useful in the field.???. I had one of only 17 pounds and she was the best daytime rabbiting dog I have ever seen. But maybe I am biassed.?.

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, fred90 said:

if I wanted a dog around 50 pounds I would buy a lurcher. surely the point In a whippet is having a smaller nimble dog for rabbits and small stuff? 

Fair point, but the best wee  nimble dogs imo are non ped whippets. Unless you are in the racing fraternity it would be difficult to get your hands on the smaller ones as they are more valuable to the race boys. They see the bigger pups as litter wastage. Personally, I would go for one of these as the inclusion of non running dog in a lurcher can often  introduce negative traits. I can't get along with collie traits for example. I hate saluki traits as well. Lurchers are definitely slower than non ped whippets.

My favourite game was intercepting feeding rabbits with a running dog before they could get to their burrows. The best at this were, imo, non ped whippets. But its all about personal preferences.

Edited by jukel123

Back when the BWRA had a 32 lb limit, there was huge wastage in non-ped Whippet litters as they tried to breed down Greyhound blooded dogs to meet the weight limit.

Us "up north" usually had a 21" limit, and some clubs had no- limit, as we raced handicaps, not yards per pound, so the dogs that went above the weight limit got sent up here, and we had some tremendously fast scratch dogs, that would, without doubt, take hare and roe. 

Then the BWRA eased the rules on the amount of Greyhound blood a non-ped could carry, and raised their weight limit to 55 lb !!

I got banned from the Whippet forum for opposing this, as I stated there's no such thing as a "55 lb Whippet ", and "I've seen smaller greyhounds win the Waterloo Cup !"

So, the big non-peds aren't as available as they were, and just the other week I saw a 57lb "Whippet" running in a no limit scratch race ! I remember thinking " I'd love to see that on a hare " !

Dont get me wrong, I love the big scratch dogs, but maybe they should be called "Race Dogs", rather than "whippets" ?

Cheers.

• Like 10
On 31/12/2021 at 21:31, riverliver123 said:

I know, but there's so much to choose from...definitely won't be a Chiwawa. Although they'd be a good size for rabbit holes...

Just wait for some lurcher to lurcher pups that do mainly what you want. That’ll be your best option.

• Like 1

My brother currently has one whippet but had three at the same time. They were all from different lines: the first was from show lines, the second from "working" whippet lines and the third from racing lines...all were pure. He's told me several times that, although they've all had their different strengths and weaknesses, when it came to catching things in general, he'd say they're all of a similar standard with not much to pick between the three.

• Like 1