Basic retrieval problems

In the past I’ve tried treats for retrieving and  it’s just made the dog drop short. I find tug training brilliant for training recall and then retrieve training. Make sure you have the leave it command in place before getting serious with tug training. It’s great letting the dog win now and again but once he has it run backward calling him or whistle ( use a Gundog whistle if you want) to you then grab the toy in his mouth and carry on playing tug with him. Whilst playing you should tell him to leave it  make him sit/stay walk back few paces and call him to you make him sit looking at the toy you are holding in front of you. Then let him get hold of the tug toy again. Once  you have had enough or he’s had enough with playing tell him to leave it and give a ‘that’ll do’ command or ‘enough’ or whatever command signals the end of the game. Then take the toy and put it away. Do tug after a more structured training session just to finish off. Also take the tug toy with you on walks where there’s no distractions and get it out your pocket when installing recall, give a couple of peeps on the whistle and show the dog the toy even run away with it waggling it’s around. Hope this helps a bit, but look on YouTube and search Skycat on here I’m sure she put article on here about tug training it’s very useful?.

• Like 1