Brambles

10 hours ago, Moocher71 said:

Try ferreting small places at first and stay away from large bramble patches until you got bit of experience with working ferrets ,once you get hang of ferret finder and ferrets bolted a few then go on to bigger places,

Do you have a dog ? As they can be great help and I wouldn't go without one but that's me   

Take your time ,look after your team and you be OK ? 

Yes, have a dog. He's never worked with ferrets but has been around them and is well used to them. I'm pretty sure when he realises that ferrets mean rabbits he will love em. Cant get photos the right fecking way up! ?

IMG_20211217_091927.jpg

Edited by riverliver123
Gg
  • Like 2

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ferreting if you don't have an over view of all the holes is a nightmare. Personally I would never put a ferret in holes on the side of a bank of cover where if the ferret surfaces you won't see it. I

Been using the bells for years now, best thing i ever done, if your going to get bells make sure you get good quality falconry one's, the one's they put on cats collars are crap. SINDASOX 

If your working patches of cover then a  bell would come in handy as well using a locator collar ?

Posted Images

6 hours ago, riverliver123 said:

Yes, have a dog. He's never worked with ferrets but has been around them and is well used to them. I'm pretty sure when he realises that ferrets mean rabbits he will love em. Cant get photos the right fecking way up! ?

IMG_20211217_091927.jpg

6 hours ago, Arry said:

fixed

IMG_20211217_091927.jpg.5eed9cbc23d8d08e0f5aa07ec71ac370.jpg.b7232a43fb1bf7e76588c43b2d047c7f.jpg

Cheers Arry

He's a nice type ,things will soon come together atb 

On 26/12/2021 at 18:50, dytkos said:

Nothing worse than digging under a blackthorn hedge, brambles, meh, throw yourself in backwards whilst wearing a Barbour jacket ?

Cheers, D.

Not just that if it's his first time imagine him with nets full of blackthorn ?. Take the advice your getting an cut back the lot otherwise good luck 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We do a lot of garden beds and wood piles never lost a ferret yet the only thing really is to have plenty of eyes on the whole net to make sure the ferrets take of. One thing I have often thought about is putting on a few fishing bells unsure if it would spook the rabbits. The other one I have learnt is when you put the ferrets into an overgrown garden the rabbits will climb to the to and hide. We put one or two ferrets down low and two or three on top depending on the size of the garden. C3A11A32-9B3E-4AA2-8AF9-C8D193941D13.png.36a8aaab20c605ace21696ba3a1798cb.pngC3A11A32-9B3E-4AA2-8AF9-C8D193941D13.png.36a8aaab20c605ace21696ba3a1798cb.png

9B639192-DB08-492D-B233-BEBCF0115BC7.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ferreting if you don't have an over view of all the holes is a nightmare. Personally I would never put a ferret in holes on the side of a bank of cover where if the ferret surfaces you won't see it. I will do a hedge on my own because I use bells and the ferret is likely to go up or down the hedge and not in the field. Also the dog is the other side so he would tell me if the ferret surfaced. A dog can make all the difference and bells for me are more important than a locator 

30990463758_3cbbdf9d90_o.jpg.5fc0baaca94e38eefbf8760b6e40a03a.jpg

894437251_32321650195_501dbf6131_o(1).jpg.8a04ae8578a31d06640e7d6f01f62327.jpg

25371495598_fc737bb9b1_o.jpg

Edited by terryd
  • Like 7

When l was talking about bells I was saying to put them on the net in several places so when a rabbit hits the net on the opposite side to where you are you would hear the bells or if the ferret was trying to get through the net. The one thing I have never done is have collars on any of my ferrets as I have always been concerned about them getting caught on a tree root. I often also set nets around large piles of hard rubbish and wood sheds never liked the idea of collars. Has anyone ever had any problems with the use of collars..

On 30/12/2021 at 15:11, SINDASOX said:

Been using the bells for years now, best thing i ever done, if your going to get bells make sure you get good quality falconry one's, the one's they put on cats collars are crap.

SINDASOX 

I've recently been looking to get a few bells for the collars. There seems to be loads of choice in size and quality, would you be able to put a link up to the ones you recommend or even the make and size I should be looking at please?

Rgds, Andy

1 hour ago, andysparks said:

I've recently been looking to get a few bells for the collars. There seems to be loads of choice in size and quality, would you be able to put a link up to the ones you recommend or even the make and size I should be looking at please?

Rgds, Andy

Pot luck really and I haven't needed to buy any for years as they last but as said you would expect falconry ones to be better quality

6 hours ago, andysparks said:

Rgds, Andy

These are 12mm bells that we use. I will let you have half a dozen mate if you want. PM me 

IMG_4864.JPG.5fe84c27a2e01e310a3d436599209d28.JPG

Cheers Arry

• Like 2
9 hours ago, andysparks said:

Rgds, Andy

Hi, few links below for you to look at, the Dave Noble bells are a real quality bell, it's the one in my photo with the brass top on the right of your screen they are 15mm x 15mm....you will need a size 0.

I'm pretty sure the other one's are Lahore bells, tidy enough bells but not the same quality as the Noble, you wont go wrong with any of these.

P1100270.JPG.f787f28297421d37581b8312ff2d5101.JPG

WWW.WESTWEALDFALCONRY.CO.UK

Westweald Falconry - range of Dog equipment & supplies.

WWW.HOODEDTALONS.CO.UK

Dave Noble bells - high quality falconry bells

WWW.GBFALCONRYSUPPLIES.CO.UK

Dual Tone/ High Tone Falconry Bellsone Brass and nickel and the other pure copper Gives a unique and distinctive sound Size 1 , Little Owls, Spars,   size 3 barn...

SINDASOX

1 minute ago, SINDASOX said:

Hi, few links below for you to look at, the Dave Noble bells are a real quality bell, it's the one in my photo with the brass top on the right of your screen they are 15mm x 15mm....you will need a size 0.

I'm pretty sure the other one's are Lahore bells, tidy enough bells but not the same quality as the Noble, you wont go wrong with any of these.

P1100270.JPG.f787f28297421d37581b8312ff2d5101.JPG

WWW.WESTWEALDFALCONRY.CO.UK

Westweald Falconry - range of Dog equipment & supplies.

WWW.HOODEDTALONS.CO.UK

Dave Noble bells - high quality falconry bells

WWW.GBFALCONRYSUPPLIES.CO.UK

Dual Tone/ High Tone Falconry Bellsone Brass and nickel and the other pure copper Gives a unique and distinctive sound Size 1 , Little Owls, Spars,   size 3 barn...

SINDASOX

Lovely job thanks, I'll have a look at those. Nice way of attaching them to the collars too.