Rabbits on come back

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

? I used to ferret for rabbits, five days a week, for many, many years...I also snared, trapped, netted and lamped the cony, on most suitable nights... It was my job....and some weeks, the catch

I never noticed until I posted but I dont sit in a truck, all shooting is walking the land. An old pic from the 90s.....

Catching 4 of the last 7 rabbits on a place ain't gonna help them either is it. Rather than working hard to find them and catching the last few survivors I've left them alone locally, tried boosting t

Posted Images

Used to be everywhere near me now you lucky if dogs put one up out of cover a lot of land around me is having new houseing estates and roads built on them I’ll just keep plodding on and when the dogs kick up a fuss in cover know it’s something u wish u found to ground instead of laid up on top?

rabbits are very thin on the ground round my area, got to work hard to find them these past few years, mxy and rhd hit them hard a while back, out lamping when storm barra was at its peak, caught 4 clean healthy bucks, worked 20 large fields, and seen the grand total of 7 rabbits, same run about 5 yrs ago would have seen a catch of 20-30, dont think  rabbits will ever get back to good numbers, due to all the diseases, predators, and over hunting, sad day  when the humble rabbit is not seen on the english countryside

2 hours ago, grompz said:

rabbits are very thin on the ground round my area, got to work hard to find them these past few years, mxy and rhd hit them hard a while back, out lamping when storm barra was at its peak, caught 4 clean healthy bucks, worked 20 large fields, and seen the grand total of 7 rabbits, same run about 5 yrs ago would have seen a catch of 20-30, dont think  rabbits will ever get back to good numbers, due to all the diseases, predators, and over hunting, sad day  when the humble rabbit is not seen on the english countryside

Catching 4 of the last 7 rabbits on a place ain't gonna help them either is it. Rather than working hard to find them and catching the last few survivors I've left them alone locally, tried boosting the numbers a bit too which I don't think worked but you never know unless you try.

• Like 6
22 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Havent had much time to be out on the bunnies this year  but when I have there wasn't as many as last year. Need to get out in the New Year to a couple of farms I haven't visited yet. Last outing only produced a few but it was a full moon ..

20211022_225347.jpg

This is the ferretting section,not the sit in your truck and pull a trigger ?

• Like 3

I've been dropping them local for the best part of 20yrs...they used to get wiped out by the shooting clowns...until they were approached ,caught in the act and told to f**k off...thinking they could tip up ,and shoot from the roads on my perm ?amazing how quick the arse drops out of them and the balls retreat?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

? I used to ferret for rabbits, five days a week, for many, many years...I also snared, trapped, netted and lamped the cony, on most suitable nights...

It was my job....and some weeks, the catch was in hundreds...

Originally, my life had turned full circle, and I went from freelancing, to being paid per day/week , for using the ferrets and dogs, for a wage. 

It was a crazy situation, fecking unbelievable,...but I loved it...?

Then, Farmers started to take note of the Ministry of Agriculture,.. and they became duped into thinking that the old ways were inefficient,.. so,.. we had to go on the Gas,...and in truth,.. I hated every damn day...

There were two teams , working on several large estates,.. we must have killed thousands of rabbits during that period.?

Then, suddenly,.. and without  warning,.. the chemical suppliers pulled the plug and the Cymag Gas, was no longer available...

I was so pleased...in fact I was doing star jumps ?

For the next decade, it was back to traditional ways, using more sporting methods..?

There is still a living to be earned, controlling rabbits on vulnerable sites, but my day in the Sun is over,.. and I am happy to leave that task to others..

Sometimes I regret killing so many,...however, there is no going back and what is done, is done...

I do hope the wild rabbit can survive into this 21st Century,.. the UK countryside would be a poorer place without them..

All the best now,.. stay safe,.. kind regards, OldPhil?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 9