Rabbits on come back

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

? I used to ferret for rabbits, five days a week, for many, many years...I also snared, trapped, netted and lamped the cony, on most suitable nights... It was my job....and some weeks, the catch

I never noticed until I posted but I dont sit in a truck, all shooting is walking the land. An old pic from the 90s.....

Catching 4 of the last 7 rabbits on a place ain't gonna help them either is it. Rather than working hard to find them and catching the last few survivors I've left them alone locally, tried boosting t

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, gnipper said:

Only a good sign if you let her run again and she didn't abort.

It’s a good sign that rabbit are breeding, as the more litters they have the more rabbits will be about.. but that particular rabbit didn’t run again.. she’s now dog food. 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, moonlighter said:

It’s a good sign that rabbit are breeding, as the more litters they have the more rabbits will be about.. but that particular rabbit didn’t run again.. she’s now dog food. 

like many Derbyshire lads Lincolnshire was our go to place, spent a lot of time there 80s and 90's, lamping, longnetting, ferreting. I go back a few times a year and to see the decline in rabbit numbers is shameful. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, fred90 said:

like many Derbyshire lads Lincolnshire was our go to place, spent a lot of time there 80s and 90's, lamping, longnetting, ferreting. I go back a few times a year and to see the decline in rabbit numbers is shameful. 

i know mate ....it was our local playground.....what a great county Lincolnshire was for game....rabbits hares and deer....not to mention the game birds ...i loved the place and now im only 15 mins away....not worth going lol 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2
8 minutes ago, TOMO said:

i know mate ....it was our local playground.....what a great county Lincolnshire was for game....rabbits hares and deer....not to mention the game birds ...i loved the place and now im only 15 mins away....not worth going lol 

great times, had a few scares and a few tickets but still went back. Young and daft then.... just daft nowadays. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I very very rarely see any near me. My kelpies have switched over completely to being squirrel dogs and none of my current stock have even caught a rabbit. When my last two ferrets died about eight years ago I didn't even bother to replace them.

I went to a perm a couple of days ago that was throwing up 25/27 rabbits in a few hours last year. I looked around and a lot of the warrens looked hardly used. I netted up 3 warrens and had 3 rabbits. I left it as that. There is still a few on there, but they deserve a rest and hopefully numbers will return. No point in annilating all of them. 

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, beany01 said:

I went to a perm a couple of days ago that was throwing up 25/27 rabbits in a few hours last year. I looked around and a lot of the warrens looked hardly used. I netted up 3 warrens and had 3 rabbits. I left it as that. There is still a few on there, but they deserve a rest and hopefully numbers will return. No point in annilating all of them. 

going back a few years now mate with my whippet. i never took more than what was needed 1 for my ferrets, and 1 fer the dogs, 

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/01/2022 at 17:09, iworkwhippets said:

going back a few years now mate with my whippet. i never took more than what was needed 1 for my ferrets, and 1 fer the dogs, 

When you are ferreting for farmers or paddocks, if you dont thin them out, then they will get someone else that will.

• Like 1
On 26/12/2021 at 14:44, Daniel cain said:

I've been dropping them local for the best part of 20yrs...they used to get wiped out by the shooting clowns...until they were approached ,caught in the act and told to f**k off...thinking they could tip up ,and shoot from the roads on my perm ?amazing how quick the arse drops out of them and the balls retreat?

ive been reliably informed, some farmers up here , grant shooting permission, to multiple gun owners,...& heard this is not uncommon. So as a result, some are arguing over ground, & falling out, etc, up here, currently.......a dont have much time for the 'midnight cowboys' , personally (even though a know most of them quite well, now, locally)

On 02/01/2022 at 04:09, iworkwhippets said:
15 hours ago, beany01 said:

When you are ferreting for farmers or paddocks, if you dont thin them out, then they will get someone else that will.

I've done two properties where there were pockets of good numbers, I was a bit too efficient and wiped them out. I"ve learnt to miss some nowadays, lol.

• Like 3
On 23/12/2021 at 14:29, TOMO said:

not round here in the east mids.....never known it as bad

I reckon it's better this year. I'm flushing rabbits with the spaniels half often whereas for the past f**k knows how long absolutely nothing. Even been asked to shoot a few in one place. A few lads local have mentioned seeing rabbits about for the first time in years. Sceptical as to if they'll last mind.