Well i have gone and done it!

8 hours ago, ianm said:

That and i can adjust it for a n/v add on if required.

Well i didn't get off to the best of starts with this rifle. On Wednesday i went with my mate to zero and test ammunition. After half a dozen shots it became obvious that the scope was at the end of its travel and i still needed to go down another 12". So we packed up and went home to investigate and change the scope.

The scope was changed for something my mate had knocking about spare. Then we spotted the problem. When i asked the kid in the shop for a Wildcat Panther he said that they just touch the handrail so they fit a washer under the mod to give it clearance. I thought okay he seems to know what he is doing. Anyway there was a lot of coming and going but to be honest i didn't pay much attention because i was looking at scopes and other stuff. Eventually the mod was screwed on the rifle and he declared it good to go. I asked if he had fit a washer and he said no i have used an o ring. I should of picked up on the problem with that but i was thinking of other things. 

So the upshot of all this is the mod wasn't sat squarely on the rifles shoulder and being calibre specific and a small hole the bullets had been clipping the mod, hence why the scope wouldn't adjust to compensate. Anyhow after a phone call and an email sent with pictures they have agreed to replace the mod. I will continue to use this until after the new year now and then get it replaced. The annoying thing is it didn't need any spacing at all, it clears the handguard without. Hopefully i will get out Boxing day to have another go!   

IMG_9466.JPG

I never let boys or women assemble any of my firearms!

I don't want it failing during a squirrel charge!!

• Haha 6

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After a fair bit of researching and thinking about how i will most likely use this rifle i eventually decided on a scope to buy for it. I opted for the Hawke Vantage 4-16x50 30 WA SF IR with the HMR r

Good night with hmr in freezing conditions

Posted Images

Well this rifle is definitely a far cry from the last one. I went out today to zero it and try three different makes of ammunition. It likes hornady 17grn best up to now, it didn't like cci 20grn at all nor winchester 17grn. 

It's quite a pleasant thing to shoot to be honest. I zeroed slightly high at 100 yds and it was straight at the target at 140yds, i had to hold over one mildot at 185yds which i thought was good enough. I will probably be shooting up to 150yds most of the time but it never hurts to know where you need to be if you are stretching its legs.

Next i will need to find out if it likes being cleaned or not, apparently some hmrs do and others don't. The trigger is ok, it isn't a Tikka set trigger by any stretch of the imagination but i will probably get used to it. Two and a half pounds pull is a lot different to the eight ounces i am used to but i will persevere with it. This is a typical group with it, a bit strung out left to right but that is me getting used to the trigger. 

IMG_9496.JPG

• Like 7

On a cleaning note, my .17 CZ doesn’t get cleaned very often at all and shoots very accurately for some reason the .17 browning seems to need a proper clean every hundred rounds or so, you know when it’s due because the breach gets very dirty for some reason the Cz doesn’t do this

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

After a fair bit of researching and thinking about how i will most likely use this rifle i eventually decided on a scope to buy for it. I opted for the Hawke Vantage 4-16x50 30 WA SF IR with the HMR reticle. The scope came last week and i mounted it on the rifle in steel lok mounts. Unfortunately i couldn't go and zero it due to a dose of covid. Anyway today i tested clear for the second day so i could get out. I went this afternoon and set off at fifty yards, three shots later i moved the target board to 100yds. 

The blurb that comes with this scope says that if you zero at 100yds on 16 mag the markings on the reticle at 150yds, 175yds, 200yds etc will be accurate. It wasn't ideal conditions to zero but i was itching to see how the combination performed. It was really cold with a fairly blustery wind left to right. I soon got it zeroed at 100yds so i put two steel targets out at 150yds and 175yds. I used the illuminated reticle because the light was poor and failing fast. I had to allow for windage but the HMR reticle was spot on at the distances i tried it at. That was a result i thought, because i was expecting it to be just a useless gimmick. The rifle is proving to be very accurate and together with this scope should be useful on the vermin. A quick check of distance with the range finder and just use the corresponding mark on the reticle.  I will start using this rifle shortly when i have had another session or so with it.

IMG_9523.JPG

• Like 8

That is the scope I have on my night time rifle. It does check out accurately.  At night though it is a shame the range figures do not illuminate....not that I have shot much further than 100yds at night!

I'm currently (in daytime) using the PX focusing to judge rang but it is far from ideal.

The blurb says,  iirc, on 13x the distances become meters. If your foreign lol. Or from Canada,  or down under.

• Like 1

Glad you are getting on with it, I liked the calibre the first time I used it but still know a lot of people that for one reason or another hate it, I had a similar opinion to the .223, I always thought it was a bit pointless.243 does whatever.223 does and more and I thought.22-250 did what the .223 did, only better and always said I’d never have one, but now I think it’s a cracking little rifle for night time foxing, I guess every calibre has its place if used for the right job and if it suits the type of shooting your doing then it’s right for the job 

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

That is the scope I have on my night time rifle. It does check out accurately.  At night though it is a shame the range figures do not illuminate....not that I have shot much further than 100yds at night!

I'm currently (in daytime) using the PX focusing to judge rang but it is far from ideal.

The blurb says,  iirc, on 13x the distances become meters. If your foreign lol. Or from Canada,  or down under.

I’ve just put a hawke 4-12X50 “.22 subsonic” scope on my cz, haven’t had time to set it up yet, but it’ll be interesting to see if the poi at different ranges corresponds to the reticle. We shall see?

• Like 2
10 hours ago, David.evans said:

DB 

if you use 42 g it will be spot on , zero  50 y , on 12 mag 

mine works cock on out to 150 

atb 

Thanks David. If that’s the 42grain Winchester’s, I tried them twice in my anschutz and it didn’t like them. Might be ok in the cz, but I’ve read that they’ve recently gone down hill ?

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Dervburner said:

Thanks David. If that’s the 42grain Winchester’s, I tried them twice in my anschutz and it didn’t like them. Might be ok in the cz, but I’ve read that they’ve recently gone down hill ?

My cz didn't like them but that was a few years ago now.

• Like 1