Wheaton x digging terrier?

3 hours ago, jigsaw said:

The end result can be very strong /chunky dogs,so limited to the earth's they enter,that's something to keep in mind

Yer that's why I think I won't get what I need untill 2nd generation even if I do then who knows still might be a little big, but I have a young wheston bitch here she is same size as 2 black dogs i used to own, so think she could be the one to use if she turns out any good, them 2 black dogs i owned was really no good untill late October November untill alot of rain had got into the ground and softened it up and still only in certain places ?

• Like 1

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you think you need to add strong dog to your terriers...then I would be looking at a different line of digging dogs personally...I would sooner put black to white,at least you be digging them the n

Ai like I have to with my missus ? 

I wouldn't personally kennel anything with that Wheaton...no matter how much you think you can trust it?... especially that young Russell bitch...good luck,which ever way you go?

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Gypsydog94 said:

Out of curiosity why not put a decent black terrier over your Russel? What are you trying to achieve by using Wheaton? 

If I was going to use another digging terrier it would be a white one,don't get me wrong I will be doing some breeding of white dogs before this happens.. but what am I trying to achieve is some nice decent size thick set, strong, white terriers that are abit rougher than what I have and have around me, this doesn't mean I want hard dogs either... my main white dog now I can dig him any were he bays but will mix and go mute if anything tries to pass him, but try keeping that trait in breeding when you don't have line bred terriers imo is hard, it's something I think might work for me ? if not I'll carry on as I am ?

11 minutes ago, tinytiger said:

There is a man in England with a  line of jagd x Glen.Might be what  you're  looking for. Seem a handy size-so might cut out a few generations. 

Why on earth would any of these X's be done.. scatterbred ... No relation on either side... Too big..too much time to be considered plus he's on about using a wheaten... My suggestion would be to contact J.S. the man who bred your white terrier at the start and get an aunt or half sister or whatever as long as related and start from there? ?

• Like 5
On 05/01/2022 at 01:29, whippetking said:

If I was going to use another digging terrier it would be a white one,don't get me wrong I will be doing some breeding of white dogs before this happens.. but what am I trying to achieve is some nice decent size thick set, strong, white terriers that are abit rougher than what I have and have around me, this doesn't mean I want hard dogs either... my main white dog now I can dig him any were he bays but will mix and go mute if anything tries to pass him, but try keeping that trait in breeding when you don't have line bred terriers imo is hard, it's something I think might work for me ? if not I'll carry on as I am ?

Line breeding has to start somewhere,  I wouldn't use a wheaten, there's hard and then there's hard

Edited by dillydog
  • Like 1
On 06/01/2022 at 10:32, Daniel cain said:

Contact Mr.Smith and tell him about your situation....if you don't ask...you will never know??

I have mate I speak to Joe abit, all ready have a 4 month old bitch bred same sort of way in my yard, just something I'd like to try for myself ?

• Like 1
On 08/01/2022 at 09:38, dillydog said:

Line breeding has to start somewhere,  I wouldn't use a wheaten, there's hard and then there's hard

Out of curiosity ? what would you use mate if you was in my situation and you didn't have access to the dogs you own your self now... 

• Like 1
On 09/01/2022 at 16:48, whippetking said:

Out of curiosity ? what would you use mate if you was in my situation and you didn't have access to the dogs you own your self now... 

We've all got access to something,  the world's a small place now, with wheaten blood you're going over kill on size, coat and temperament.  

I was lucky when I first started, I had the work done for me, the line was already in it's infancy,  all I did was build on it. If you know Joe and he's willing to help then you're half way there, even if you want something a bit different than the road he's going down maybe he can point you in the direction you're after. 

• Like 4
36 minutes ago, dillydog said:

We've all got access to something,  the world's a small place now, with wheaten blood you're going over kill on size, coat and temperament.  

I was lucky when I first started, I had the work done for me, the line was already in it's infancy,  all I did was build on it. If you know Joe and he's willing to help then you're half way there, even if you want something a bit different than the road he's going down maybe he can point you in the direction you're after. 

One word in there that I thought about and that would most probably get me is the temperament ?  I like my yard settled and chilled out.. but then again I have brought my own Wheaton bitch on this time and she's chilled out as much safer any with dogs, alot of lads keep telling me it will change but we will see...  

39 minutes ago, whippetking said:

One word in there that I thought about and that would most probably get me is the temperament ?  I like my yard settled and chilled out.. but then again I have brought my own Wheaton bitch on this time and she's chilled out as much safer any with dogs, alot of lads keep telling me it will change but we will see...  

If those lads know about wheatons then listen and i'll tell you something bud,i wish i had what you got in my kennels(i got one 20 min wonder at best) in your working dog and a youngster from the same stuff so build on what you have and if it ain't broke why try to fix it??...

• Like 3