Wheaton x digging terrier?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you think you need to add strong dog to your terriers...then I would be looking at a different line of digging dogs personally...I would sooner put black to white,at least you be digging them the n

Ai like I have to with my missus ? 

I wouldn't personally kennel anything with that Wheaton...no matter how much you think you can trust it?... especially that young Russell bitch...good luck,which ever way you go?

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, spindolero said:

spoke to some lads in Ireland that had done a bull/patt x wheaton patt mating.

the whole litter was dead before 3 year old  - big, and only one style of working stuff

Not surprising really and why oh why do folk try such  things and it's only the dogs that suffer..

• Like 3

I was not on about black dogs i am on about white dogs and I am just thinking of the idea for myself to do with the white dogs, and there is one reason for it, imo you need to add something hard every now and again unless you have a good line bred family of dogs which I have not, plus ALOT with white dogs standards are awful so as I say it's just abit of an idea for myself that I might do in the future ? 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, whippetking said:

I was not on about black dogs i am on about white dogs and I am just thinking of the idea for myself to do with the white dogs, and there is one reason for it, imo you need to add something hard every now and again unless you have a good line bred family of dogs which I have not, plus ALOT with white dogs standards are awful so as I say it's just abit of an idea for myself that I might do in the future ? 

If you think you need to add strong dog to your terriers...then I would be looking at a different line of digging dogs personally...I would sooner put black to white,at least you be digging them the next season and not breeding litters for wastage because of their size and working style...one of the reasons why I only keep good working bitches, because when folks hear how good they are....you have a choice of studs? decent dogs are 2 a penny imo...get your bitches right...and everything else should fall into place....well that's my take on it??DSC_0597.thumb.JPG.4149c4384012d93b1f995d2f214d4724.JPG

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Daniel cain said:

If you think you need to add strong dog to your terriers...then I would be looking at a different line of digging dogs personally...I would sooner put black to white,at least you be digging them the next season and not breeding litters for wastage because of their size and working style...one of the reasons why I only keep good working bitches, because when folks hear how good they are....you have a choice of studs? decent dogs are 2 a penny imo...get your bitches right...and everything else should fall into place....well that's my take on it??DSC_0597.thumb.JPG.4149c4384012d93b1f995d2f214d4724.JPG

I agree with that mate, I used to keep digging blacks thought I would have a big change and go down the Russel route.. all black dogs got strong dogs in them way back some not so way back, I have seen quiet a few bull russels even first xs that can be dug too, just thought working Wheaton would be better than a bull to use, as only access to proper bulls I got is big ones, plus don't want to go to another strain of working terrier that would be too easy ? 

36 minutes ago, whippetking said:

I agree with that mate, I used to keep digging blacks thought I would have a big change and go down the Russel route.. all black dogs got strong dogs in them way back some not so way back, I have seen quiet a few bull russels even first xs that can be dug too, just thought working Wheaton would be better than a bull to use, as only access to proper bulls I got is big ones, plus don't want to go to another strain of working terrier that would be too easy ? 

Using a bull...would be my last choice...in todays climate....the less stick a working terrier takes....the better...unless you can leave them to heal at said place...it's travel home and take your chances...or Bang! Roll them in a hole ??

• Like 3
25 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Using a bull...would be my last choice...in todays climate....the less stick a working terrier takes....the better...unless you can leave them to heal at said place...it's travel home and take your chances...or Bang! Roll them in a hole ??

I have to dig alot of educated quarry which is abit shit but usually ok for the travelling with dogs ?

Dug over a couple 20 plus years ago, big lumps of things they were that couldn't be dug everywhere and were no harder than many of the black dogs I've seen since.

I know a lad that has wheaten in his line of black dogs and no better terriers a man would ever need. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, dogmandont said:

Dug over a couple 20 plus years ago, big lumps of things they were that couldn't be dug everywhere and were no harder than many of the black dogs I've seen since.

I know a lad that has wheaten in his line of black dogs and no better terriers a man would ever need. 

Yer I don't think I would get what I want  until late the 2nd maybe 3rd generation for the size ? cheers mate

• Like 1