Oh the Springer Frustration.....

Sorry I've not been on in a while, but life has been up and down, I've been doing plenty of target shooting mind. My hunting springers are still top notch for what they are, but the 97 I built for comp is driving me round the twist. 

It's got a custom walnut stock, with adjustable comb and... All hand finished by me, it looks lovely with its huge Falcon and wheel 

Lightened polished short stroked.. 

After it was run in... And fully zeroed I could turn up indoors rested at 25yards and thread 8 shots through the same hole, I could even pull one slightly and the compose myself and tidy up the edges of the hole.... 

How fair enough this is ideal conditions and rested, but its  still the dogs. Or or was. 

Then recently something internally is obviously a miss or the ATP90 rings are... Recoil innit. As much as I've learnt to control it in an ideal situation and proan and standing and the short stroke is sharp and short. 

Point being, maybe I'm working against the practicality of what one of these can do. Even a hybrid piston mod.  .. Its still going to recoil... 

I'm at the range and this bloke turns up with an FT setup PCP maybe a Styr and proceeds to quickly better my best groups if the day without taking much time over it... 

And for the first time in my life as a bloke who likes making things, I thought... I chuffing want one of them... And then I was like... What you talking about it's got no spring.. 

It then occurred to me maybe I keep my hunting springers after all they aren't worth anything I got rid of the ones that had always been crap or were worth more than they were good. 

Maybe I should get a PCP to shoot paper.? 

Obviously find out why the 97 is suddenly spraying lead, my get feel is a broken delrin component.. As sometimes it sounds different.... 

But I'm now thinking I need a PCP for targets... What the....... Am I mad? 

• Sad 1

No not mad Jake but remember even a blind man can shoot a pcp 

A pcp can make you a top sniper 

Or make you think you are the trick is to make you a top sniper with a 97 or any springer come to that 

Then you can feel like your a marksman 

Pcp, s have no sole it can just about shoot it's self 

Sounds like some thing has gone wrong in side 

So a strip down may be the answer 

If it sounds different some times 

This is making me think some thing is wrong inside the action 

Could be a snapped spring 

Either way only one thing to do and that is strip it down 

May be only needs a bit more grease on it 

Strip it down and see Jake 

Let me know if you get it sorted son 

Atvbjimmy ???

• Like 1
3 hours ago, bigmac 97kt said:

No not mad Jake but remember even a blind man can shoot a pcp 

A pcp can make you a top sniper 

Or make you think you are the trick is to make you a top sniper with a 97 or any springer come to that 

Then you can feel like your a marksman 

Pcp, s have no sole it can just about shoot it's self 

Sounds like some thing has gone wrong in side 

So a strip down may be the answer 

If it sounds different some times 

This is making me think some thing is wrong inside the action 

Could be a snapped spring 

Either way only one thing to do and that is strip it down 

May be only needs a bit more grease on it 

Strip it down and see Jake 

Let me know if you get it sorted son 

Atvbjimmy ???

Yes Jimmy, 

I've got a feeling that something has come adrift in my inerds.....

I have planed to turn some more off the back of the piston and reduce the preload more anyway. 

Mine is tight though it takes quite a bit to realign the scope rails on reassembly, it's getting looser, but I hope I don't keep having to pull it apart.... There's no doubt its a great gun... The reduced swept volume works depite what shauny says... At around 11ftlb the Falcon on 50x it still on target after release. 

Just gotta rake the plunge and look inside and hope its not expensive. 

As I need the money for a PCP rig hahaha..... 

Have to admit an R10th attracts me, but I need to knkw they've been working on the quality cos my recent BSA Lightening XL SE was shite. No shims in the barrel and eighth of an inch movement in the end on the barrel before it was fixed. Brand new!!.... Horrid action sharp thwack very difficult to shoot. 

Saying that the 97 only shoots 4.51 AA FTDs flippin shooting expensive game 

Keep you updated Jimmy.. Happy Xmas 

• Like 2

R10 is a cracking gun Jake iv not had one mind but my shooting partener has had a few 

And rates them highly mind 

My fav in the bsa range was the scorpion t10

What a rifle they were iv had 4 of them 22 and 177

Another is the hw100 hc good on the shooting range and out in the fields 

Atvbjimmy ???

1 minute ago, bigmac 97kt said:

R10 is a cracking gun Jake iv not had one mind but my shooting partener has had a few 

And rates them highly mind 

My fav in the bsa range was the scorpion t10

What a rifle they were iv had 4 of them 22 and 177

Another is the hw100 hc good on the shooting range and out in the fields 

Atvbjimmy ???

Indeed mate. 

Either that or I go all whole hog. 

If anyone's got video evidence of AA FX or Steyr whatever bettering the five pence 50 yard groups I've seen from the R10 and HW100s too.... 

I'd prefer to by British this time. 

I've got a Walther, Weihrauch, I bed to spread the love around mate haha... 

Last shooting my Remington was shooting better groups that a well it must of cost me two grand so far mate its daft. I ain't braggin it's just obviously daft.. Or should that be possibly... 

• Haha 1

Sounds like your spring might me knackered. 
BSA ultra will match any top price gun pellet for pellet , same with the old t10 . Both are cheap as well . 
Had three r 10’s very accurate gun but something about it , I couldn’t get on with it ,  on a bipod fine but shooting off the knee or free hand felt like a different gun 

• Like 1

I can vouch for the BSA Lightning XL SE, I got one thought it was the bees knees and what a load of sh*te, me and Jimmy both struggled to load and fire it accurately. Sharp took it back and traded it in towards the kral.

• Haha 1
14 hours ago, JayB0 said:

I can vouch for the BSA Lightning XL SE, I got one thought it was the bees knees and what a load of sh*te, me and Jimmy both struggled to load and fire it accurately. Sharp took it back and traded it in towards the kral.

Told u not to buy it 

And as you lads know 

I bought the kral off him 

Funny iv not touched it since I got the fx verminator mk2 back 

???

Atvbjimmy ???

18 hours ago, JakeFury said:

Indeed mate. 

Either that or I go all whole hog. 

If anyone's got video evidence of AA FX or Steyr whatever bettering the five pence 50 yard groups I've seen from the R10 and HW100s too.... 

I'd prefer to by British this time. 

I've got a Walther, Weihrauch, I bed to spread the love around mate haha... 

Last shooting my Remington was shooting better groups that a well it must of cost me two grand so far mate its daft. I ain't braggin it's just obviously daft.. Or should that be possibly... 

It can get expensive very expensive 

Me and Sean went to the range one day 

On the way we worked out how much was sitting in the back of the car 6 rifles each all top of the range same with scopes and all the gear 

We stopped counting at 6500 notes 

We did not want to know just how much we had spent 

Must of been next to 10k

Sitting in the car 

And that did not count the rifles we had back at home 

?????

2 hours ago, bigmac 97kt said:

It can get expensive very expensive 

Me and Sean went to the range one day 

On the way we worked out how much was sitting in the back of the car 6 rifles each all top of the range same with scopes and all the gear 

We stopped counting at 6500 notes 

We did not want to know just how much we had spent 

Must of been next to 10k

Sitting in the car 

And that did not count the rifles we had back at home 

?????

I think it's gonna get more expensive. Haha..... If I've taken a coil out, it could be good.

If it's the ATP90 mounts... Gutted. 

I like the elevation it gives me for the Falcon but... I personally think the design is flawed. Recoil will damage them..... 

My biggest problem.... 

I'm a lefty...... It'll surely effect my PCP choice there goes the ultimate sportier from what I can see in videos. 

I'm gonna go up to Ronnie Sunshines and see how I do with some different guns. Their idea. I rung em up... 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, JakeFury said:

I think it's gonna get more expensive. Haha..... If I've taken a coil out, it could be good.

If it's the ATP90 mounts... Gutted. 

I like the elevation it gives me for the Falcon but... I personally think the design is flawed. Recoil will damage them..... 

My biggest problem.... 

I'm a lefty...... It'll surely effect my PCP choice there goes the ultimate sportier from what I can see in videos. 

I'm gonna go up to Ronnie Sunshines and see how I do with some different guns. Their idea. I rung em up... 

Best thing to do Jake 

Shoulder a few mate see what fits you best 

It's no hard ship if its just the spring it's a two minute fix

Nothing to worry about 

Let me know how you get on Jake 

Atvbjimmy ???

4 hours ago, bigmac 97kt said:

Best thing to do Jake 

Shoulder a few mate see what fits you best 

It's no hard ship if its just the spring it's a two minute fix

Nothing to worry about 

Let me know how you get on Jake 

Atvbjimmy ???

I'm hoping it is the spring mate. 

The first coil, I expect I needed to take more time annealing that one. I expect its the first coil. 

I'll have to get another I need to bring it down was going to reduce the preload.. Id like to see if its better around 10.something so reduced preload or keep preload and half a coil if I'm really lucky and it's broken conveniently... I'll order another spring just in case. 

Incidentally it was fitted with the wrong spring from the factory!

Less diameter and a smaller guide. 

Hull bloody cartridge. The play between the spring and the piston was huge which explained amongst other design problems why the gun felt like it was twisting. I do think, well stone me it's five hundred quid spring air Rifle, you gave it a decent trigger, why not give it a rotary piston too... The right spring, guides and adjusters...... I mean maybe it's just me hahaha 

• Like 1

When I bought my HW95 in .177 (Brand New) I shot it for about 2 months before I sent it to agrtuning for a PG3 Vortek kit fitted and tuned, when Tony chrono’d it, it was kicking out nearly 15ft.lb, so it was illegal from factory. I contacted Hull Cartridge and Weirhauch, both did not seem bothered that they had sold me an illegal gun.

I must say, now the PG3 Kit is fitted the rifle just gets better & better, and is so smooth to shoot & cock.