The test. Mirookoo.

Maybe you like Beretta? In my exerience Miroku, Browning and Winchester all have very simialr balance whereas Beretta is completely different..

Also, not having confidence in the choke pattern might have been an influence along with any fit issues. Personally, I'd buy a Miroku all day but I love Browning balance.

As for steel, I'm no expert but I think you're ok with anything other than full choke aren't you? I'd have gone for a pretty standard 1/4 + 1/2 in most situations. 

If in doubt with a shotgun it's easy, pattern it. Get a large cardboard box or sheet of steel and put it up at the required distance and simply shoot. It's the easiet way to find the truth about how it shoots at any given distance. You can easily spot gaps in the pattern, too tight a density or too low a density (too many misses) and most with cartidges it's possible to either find out the shot count or empty one carefully and count them to see how many you have on target, although it's usually self evident if missing as the patter extends to near the edge.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Beretta, uck, now got to wash my mouth out. Over priced cnc produce. Besides I've got one but it's more interesting that the tarts model choice. I'm with you on chokes. This wee skb is 1/4&

Sorry lads, took it back. Hot sweats, disturbed sleep, I just could not settle. Something just didn't suit. The dealer, a friend was very sympathetic and let me loose in his armoury. It was

How about this shot? This wonderful bird lifted ahead of me by 25yards, flew away from me and then turned left. The sxs flew to the shoulder effortlessly,  flicked it through and shot. The

Posted Images

13 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

Sorry lads, took it back. Hot sweats, disturbed sleep, I just could not settle. Something just didn't suit.

The dealer, a friend was very sympathetic and let me loose in his armoury.

It was then that I stopped picking up them up and over things and spied a little skb 200e 1/4 and half choked. As soon as I shouldered it it was a perfect fit.

It feels petite compared to a chunk of girder and is nicer to carry.

My friend said take it and try it. So I did.

20211222_105054.jpg.0290e58995a6dd06ba7e822f6608cc8f.jpg

Now need to keep testing and try some steel in it but so far it feels just right.

That should be much better to cart about.

Of all the guns i have and there are some, the one i like to use most is my AYA no4 20 bore. It is just a delight to shoot with and can be carried all day. Much, much better than them there clay pigeon orientated over and under things.? 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Alsone said:

Maybe you like Beretta? In my exerience Miroku, Browning and Winchester all have very simialr balance whereas Beretta is completely different..

Also, not having confidence in the choke pattern might have been an influence along with any fit issues. Personally, I'd buy a Miroku all day but I love Browning balance.

As for steel, I'm no expert but I think you're ok with anything other than full choke aren't you? I'd have gone for a pretty standard 1/4 + 1/2 in most situations. 

If in doubt with a shotgun it's easy, pattern it. Get a large cardboard box or sheet of steel and put it up at the required distance and simply shoot. It's the easiet way to find the truth about how it shoots at any given distance. You can easily spot gaps in the pattern, too tight a density or too low a density (too many misses) and most with cartidges it's possible to either find out the shot count or empty one carefully and count them to see how many you have on target, although it's usually self evident if missing as the patter extends to near the edge.

Beretta, uck, now got to wash my mouth out. Over priced cnc produce. Besides I've got one but it's more interesting that the tarts model choice.

20210709_182753.jpg.8acd1a7764b3414e7e8b30ff159a73ef.jpg

I'm with you on chokes. This wee skb is 1/4&1/2 (1/2 is max for steel) like ianm said a joy to carry all day. I'm into day two with this one and think I'm going to have to cough up for it boys!

20211223_120758.jpg.0a3070ecfb52489cf2d9ffe7987254e4.jpg

I did pattern the mirookoo, it wasn't bad but it just came up funny, felt awkward in the field. Felt like a piece of universal beam in the hands. Na, this'll do.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Yeah I don't like the balance of Berretta either Bernard. Long time since I held one but I seem to remember it being either barrel or butt heavy (can't remember which) whereas Browning, Miroku and Winchester are all really neutrally balanced. You could probably put a single finger somewhere just forward of the action and it would level like a weighing scale.

I guessing the Miroku was simply a bad fit for you. Any gun no matter how good will be a pig if it deosn't fit well. If it really doesn't fit then....

Still nice side by side, I know you like your traditional guns.

Edited by Alsone
  • Like 1
On 23/12/2021 at 12:51, Sausagedog said:

Beretta, uck, now got to wash my mouth out. Over priced cnc produce. Besides I've got one but it's more interesting that the tarts model choice.

20210709_182753.jpg.8acd1a7764b3414e7e8b30ff159a73ef.jpg

I'm with you on chokes. This wee skb is 1/4&1/2 (1/2 is max for steel) like ianm said a joy to carry all day. I'm into day two with this one and think I'm going to have to cough up for it boys!

20211223_120758.jpg.0a3070ecfb52489cf2d9ffe7987254e4.jpg

I did pattern the mirookoo, it wasn't bad but it just came up funny, felt awkward in the field. Felt like a piece of universal beam in the hands. Na, this'll do.

I don’t know if you noticed SD, but that pigeon has a longer beak than usual. I’m very observant when it comes to wild birds, that’s why I spotted it.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Dervburner said:

I don’t know if you noticed SD, but that pigeon has a longer beak than usual. I’m very observant when it comes to wild birds, that’s why I spotted it.

How about this shot?

20211223_132144.jpg.9596360199cd71fcc5205fc134e7b174.jpg

This wonderful bird lifted ahead of me by 25yards, flew away from me and then turned left. The sxs flew to the shoulder effortlessly,  flicked it through and shot. The shot was thirty and a bit yards and I used a hullmax 34g #4!

Made a meatloaf with them today.

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

How about this shot?

20211223_132144.jpg.9596360199cd71fcc5205fc134e7b174.jpg

This wonderful bird lifted ahead of me by 25yards, flew away from me and then turned left. The sxs flew to the shoulder effortlessly,  flicked it through and shot. The shot was thirty and a bit yards and I used a hullmax 34g #4!

Made a meatloaf with them today.

Good shooting SD. Do they still make hullmax? I’ve got half a box from years ago, I think they’re bb’s if I remember correctly.

3 minutes ago, Dervburner said:

Good shooting SD. Do they still make hullmax? I’ve got half a box from years ago, I think they’re bb’s if I remember correctly.

Think so buddy. Nice shooting cartridge.

Edited by Sausagedog
  • Like 1
8 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

Oh and I got a slab of cartridges while I was settling my account with Croxton country stores this morning plus a box of Hull high pheasant steel hydrowad #4 @£11 a box ?. I don't know whether to shoot them or fix them to an ornamental plinth!!

I got 250 clear pigeon yesterday for my seasonal wandering’s with my sheep farmer mate, 85 quid, I almost fell over, it makes you think twice about pulling the trigger ☹️

• Sad 1

I never think twice about pulling the trigger ,  if the shots are there I take them , shooting is all I spend money on , dont smoke or drink. Imagine shooting 300 cartridges in 1 day like I did last year on the blacks...but wouldn't change it and hopefully get some days like it this year too. 

• Like 2