Squirrel traps

Are the mk4 fenn  traps any good for squirrel? I no there passed for squirrel but the mk6 passed for rabbit but herd loads story's of rabbits been alive ,ferrets been alive etc etc was thinking trying something different now lads Taken an intrest but if there no good mite not bother and order couple more bmi instead , 

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Mk4 is light to carry and convenient in that tunnels and boxes can be made of standard sized timber and stepping down the entrance is easy.  It also catches squirrels very well.  Unfort

Get on the kania or magmum 116. Prefer them over the fenns to be honest. 

I trap quite a lot of squirrels in both mk4 and mk 6 fenns in the same type of boxes. I much prefer the mk 6s, I think they kill much cleaner and get a lot less foul catches

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Elchapo said:

Are the mk4 fenn  traps any good for squirrel? I no there passed for squirrel but the mk6 passed for rabbit but herd loads story's of rabbits been alive ,ferrets been alive etc etc was thinking trying something different now lads Taken an intrest but if there no good mite not bother and order couple more bmi instead , 

I use mk4 for squirrels in tunnel's and have done for years. MK6 ok but i think the 4's are better for squirrel and rat. 

• Like 1

They are cheap, they are easy......but whatever you are trapping there is a better option than a fenn. They were good if you were setting large numbers in woodland. 

Personally I'd find something else. Use a fenn long enough and you will have bad catches, even clean catches that when you look close enough you can tell it wasn't instantaneous. 

Using any number of other options will give better results and make you a better trapper 

• Like 2
21 hours ago, hambone said:

I use mk4 for squirrels in tunnel's and have done for years. MK6 ok but i think the 4's are better for squirrel and rat. 

The Mk 4 trap in tunnels will catch Grey Squirrels no problem,...but,.. these traps rarely kill them quickly..?

When the operative visits his trapline early in the day, he will often find dead critters resting in the traps,...but in many cases, they took a while to die. 

If you set up a camera, or have the time to physically, wait and watch,.. you will frequently witness a bit of a struggle , until the Grey finally expires.

Personally,.. if using this type of Spring Trap, I much prefer the Mk 6 version,..it just seems to have that wee bit more killing power.

There are several choices for culling Squirrels nowadays,...some much better than others...? 

Mk4 traps work great on Rats...they have a far lighter, physical frame and bone structure, than the more muscular, tougher Grey Squirrel?

Good trapping lads, stay safe, regards, OldPhil.

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 3

I think this a Fenn 6 as i caught a lot of Rabbits on this fence with them and caught them well , i think at this place the rabbits came under tight to the ground and the elasticity of the fence absorbed the bounce of the trap ?not sure really but they did seem to be caught squarely across the chest /shoulders  instead of the Head .

21273173_10209833380060255_4586369012496564621_o.jpg

• Like 1

I like the Fenn. Yes, they aren't the best killing trap, but they are a great catching trap. I think a lot of stuff can shy away from other traps. I don't think that's a problem with a well placed Fenn. Saying that, I ain't no squirrel trapper. So maybe that's not really an issue with Squirrels 

• Like 1

The Mk4 is light to carry and convenient in that tunnels and boxes can be made of standard sized timber and stepping down the entrance is easy. 

20211224_080432.jpg.07b93f4b6cfc99a292da08a82e395152.jpg

It also catches squirrels very well.  Unfortunatly even with a perfectly orientated grip   the jaws are not always equal to dealing with the bull necks or  muscular fat-lined bodies of the the more prime specimens . As  Tyla touched-on and Old Phil mentioned in detail  ; there are sometimes signs of a struggle.

A dead squirrel found in a position with its back feet braced against the bars of the trap  might be glossed over as  the result a death spasm .

More likely it's  a sign that the unfortunate  victim was functioning mentally and physically for long enough  to try to work itself free.

I do think that some problems are are aggravated because not everyone realises that the  tunnel around a Fenn is not just a legal requirement .  The way the box or tunnel is designed affects the trap's efficiency.   

I try to limit the gap between the  closed trap and the roof of the tunnel to  half an inch . That's  just my thought .

Old Phil probably could quote the proper optimum figures. 

The  "6" is definately the one to go for when fat bird -feeder fed squills are the target . Even if the boxes  ( my ones anyway??) look a little less professional. 

20211224_080503.jpg.a4dc7810eb6e5ae320b5367f51a3dfc5.jpg

I have learned not to lean too heavily  on one type or size of trap though. It pays to have a little armoury. 

Every year l have a few regular squirrel customers.  Some years the Kanias shine ,others Fenns or body grips. One year the CWS metal tubes caught so well l thought the squirrels must've eaten magnets  .

This year it was The Fenns that raised the glitter ball. 

Edited by comanche
  • Like 4
On 23/12/2021 at 19:36, Tyla said:

I trap quite a lot of squirrels in both mk4 and mk 6 fenns in the same type of boxes. I much prefer the mk 6s, I think they kill much cleaner and get a lot less foul catches

20211018_080023.jpg

@OldPhil @comanche do you have any ideas on how to improve killing in these boxes with mk 4s? My own traps are mk 6 and I get good clean kills mostly but an estate I'm doing has provided mk4s to put in my boxes and the difference is noticeable. I'm wondering if packing the floors up would help?

2 hours ago, Tyla said:

@OldPhil @comanche do you have any ideas on how to improve killing in these boxes with mk 4s? My own traps are mk 6 and I get good clean kills mostly but an estate I'm doing has provided mk4s to put in my boxes and the difference is noticeable. I'm wondering if packing the floors up would help?

From what I have gathered by reading the traps seem to work better when  they have 1/2 to 1 inch of space of the roof of the trap ( when the trap is in unset position ther is 1/2 or 1 inch gap to top of box ) have the trap set side ways so when the squirrel sets of the trap the trap  hucks him up hits the top of box and as he comes down the trap jaws get him firmly across the body and behind the neck ,, 

That's seems to be what I've read about , the taller box set up like the one you put a pic up and the trap set that way don't seem to produce as clean a kill 

That's what I've read ,not from personal experience,, someone more knowledgeable will shine some light on the subject 

28 minutes ago, Elchapo said:

From what I have gathered by reading the traps seem to work better when  they have 1/2 to 1 inch of space of the roof of the trap ( when the trap is in unset position ther is 1/2 or 1 inch gap to top of box ) have the trap set side ways so when the squirrel sets of the trap the trap  hucks him up hits the top of box and as he comes down the trap jaws get him firmly across the body and behind the neck ,, 

That's seems to be what I've read about , the taller box set up like the one you put a pic up and the trap set that way don't seem to produce as clean a kill 

That's what I've read ,not from personal experience,, someone more knowledgeable will shine some light on the subject 

I run a few trap lines using those boxes, usually with mk6's which consistently produce good kills. Since using this estates mk4's in the same boxes I'm still getting majority clean kills but, to me, an unacceptable increase in foul catches. I think I'd like to modify the boxes in some way to reduce that so just looking for ideas. I think you're right about the height, might add false floors to reduce the height

• Like 1

Every so often the question is which is the best trap for squirrel and without  a doubt is the 116 Body Grip ! its horses  for courses we know but for price , versatility humane  dispatch  nothing is better. END OF .

bun356.jpg

• Like 1