Targets for 2022?!

7 minutes ago, Wideboy said:

How do you plan on getting the jack out to the area you want to fish? I was thinking about the same thing. My mate has a bait boat that I can borrow. I think 5lb might be tricky as in getting a hook up in a big pikes mouth without deep hooking it. You’d want 3 trebles in the jack. I plan to do more night fishing for pike come the new year. I think the bigger wiser fish could let their guard down at night. 

could you not use a live bait rib like we do for sea fishing?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well pleased with this.  First target for the year achieved.  Weighed it on certified scales at 2.5700kg. (5lb 10.5oz in old money). 

For the last three years I have had 2 metre catfish on a cane rod and centrepin reel on my 'to do' list. However, with covid restrictions, lousy summer weather and some unforseen circumstances eating

11lbs swale barbel (managed last years target of 10 lbs) 

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, Wideboy said:

How do you plan on getting the jack out to the area you want to fish? I was thinking about the same thing. My mate has a bait boat that I can borrow. I think 5lb might be tricky as in getting a hook up in a big pikes mouth without deep hooking it. You’d want 3 trebles in the jack. I plan to do more night fishing for pike come the new year. I think the bigger wiser fish could let their guard down at night. 

I use the big polly balls that they sell at boyes store on crafts area to keep the live Jack's up I've had many mid 20s in past with doing this method mate. When putting the jack out a will have a pal with me an take the bale off the reel an just free throw the jack out about 4 to 5 ft. Making sure the jack doesn't take the polly ball float under. The polly balls are like the size of a small football decent. Then just let the jack slowly run where it wants 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/01/2022 at 20:24, robbo said:

I like you am trying for a 5lb mullet. I’m on with that one at the minute on a local beach. 
also a double figure smooth hound and my first shore caught cuckoo wrasse. 

There's a Welsh lad pulling in cuckoo regular while toping in west wales. 

The mullet I should be targeting now in the local rivers really but I struggle to get excited by mulleting and end up going raying or hussing. 

Alot of the lads seem to get the real big smuts from the reefs 

Big hounds are caught on a few of the beaches up around Bude in the summer. 
I will probably have to go down west to get a cuckoo off the shore. 
I love the mullet fishing on the beaches in the winter. Better than harbour fishing. 

3 hours ago, robbo said:

Big hounds are caught on a few of the beaches up around Bude in the summer. 
I will probably have to go down west to get a cuckoo off the shore. 
I love the mullet fishing on the beaches in the winter. Better than harbour fishing. 

Don't doubt that, westward and saunton always seems to fish well for hounds and they're only round the corner. 

Im surprised the pollock marks don't throw up the occasional accidental cuckoo. 

Harbours can be quite unsporting I think personally 

The pollack marks down Penzance way throw up cuckoo wrasse on a regular basis. 
Don’t seem to get them off the deep water marks up here. 
Don’t get decent pollack up here that often either to be fair. 

1 hour ago, robbo said:

The pollack marks down Penzance way throw up cuckoo wrasse on a regular basis. 
Don’t seem to get them off the deep water marks up here. 
Don’t get decent pollack up here that often either to be fair. 

We don't have any real deep water marks here, maybe 1 or 2 but no decent pollock either really 

Slightly out of the loop but topical. For the last 10 years or more I have asked every fisherman I’ve met (river/canal) to please catch me a mid range zander from which I’d cook them a gourmet dinner including the wine. Now guys, I’ve heard some excuses but surelty it can’t be that hard. Jok.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
50 minutes ago, jok said:

Slightly out of the loop but topical. For the last 10 years or more I have asked every fisherman I’ve met (river/canal) to please catch me a mid range zander from which I’d cook them a gourmet dinner including the wine. Now guys, I’ve heard some excuses but surelty it can’t be that hard. Jok.

@Greyman your man, the canal he's got his boat on is rammed with them (Ive never caught one from there mind). Apparently they taste like Bass ? 

• Thanks 1

I cooked a meal for 6 many years ago having had the good fortune, whilst fishing th North Bank at Boston, for eels, to land a 4lb zander. The meat was truly amazing with lovely big flakes of flesh. I would love to do it again but am struggling with the main ingredient. Jok.

• Like 1