Well,well,well

Back in the 1980's there was a sergeant I worked with at Golldthorpe who used to go out in the panda at night and run rabbits over on the grass land around Bolton Brick Ponds. He would take them back to the station to gut and skin them in the canteen. 

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, Nicepix said:

Back in the 1980's there was a sergeant I worked with at Golldthorpe who used to go out in the panda at night and run rabbits over on the grass land around Bolton Brick Ponds. He would take them back to the station to gut and skin them in the canteen. 

You're not PC Scothern are you? Wow! ?

Never heard of a poaching copper though I have come across a couple who have turned a blind eye in the past to what landowners and their gamekeepers have done to deter poaching one keeper even threatening an off duty copper with a 22 bullet rifle and all he got was a telling off mind you the said estate used to let s.yorks police train their dogs in front of the stately House.

13 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

Never heard of a poaching copper though I have come across a couple who have turned a blind eye in the past to what landowners and their gamekeepers have done to deter poaching one keeper even threatening an off duty copper with a 22 bullet rifle and all he got was a telling off mind you the said estate used to let s.yorks police train their dogs in front of the stately House.

Wentworth woodhouse ya I remember watching em once

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

I was running my dogs on that estate from 1997 to 2005. Never heard of the incident mentioned by Tats and I can't imagine John Ambler, the head keeper threatening anyone. To be honest  the people involved in running that shoot were all from the cast of: The Darling Buds of May or Heartbeat. Now, the shoot next to it and rented from the Fitzwilliam estate did have some crackpot keeper perhaps it was one of them?

19 minutes ago, wildman said:

Wentworth woodhouse ya I remember watching em once

Happy days. I also used Sandbeck near Maltby. The old Earl of Scarborough used to stop off for a chat while we were training. He used to boast that he had stocked all of South Yorkshire with buzzards. He wouldn't let his keepers shoot or trap them. 

33 minutes ago, Nicepix said:

I was running my dogs on that estate from 1997 to 2005. Never heard of the incident mentioned by Tats and I can't imagine John Ambler, the head keeper threatening anyone. To be honest  the people involved in running that shoot were all from the cast of: The Darling Buds of May or Heartbeat. Now, the shoot next to it and rented from the Fitzwilliam estate did have some crackpot keeper perhaps it was one of them?

Happy days. I also used Sandbeck near Maltby. The old Earl of Scarborough used to stop off for a chat while we were training. He used to boast that he had stocked all of South Yorkshire with buzzards. He wouldn't let his keepers shoot or trap them. 

Before your time then on that estate guns were used regularly to deter trespasses and poachers the game keeper who threatened the off duty copper wile walking his staffy around the second dam was well known for shooting dogs and pet dogs being walked by kids.

23 hours ago, tatsblisters said:

Before your time then on that estate guns were used regularly to deter trespasses and poachers the game keeper who threatened the off duty copper wile walking his staffy around the second dam was well known for shooting dogs and pet dogs being walked by kids.

Was that the one that killed himself with poison, cymag I think ,was looking at a long sentance inside for rape or something

15 minutes ago, wildman said:

Was that the one that killed himself with poison, cymag I think ,was looking at a long sentance inside for rape or something

No mate he weren't a bad lad and it was for firearms offences. The one I am on about died years ago a big bully of a man that used to do a bit of poaching himself with the notorious Bush Mangam before he got a job on the estate gamekeeping. 

23 hours ago, tatsblisters said:

No mate he weren't a bad lad and it was for firearms offences. The one I am on about died years ago a big bully of a man that used to do a bit of poaching himself with the notorious Bush Mangam before he got a job on the estate gamekeeping. 

Got ya remember now, was that John wright lived  near round house , mate of mine mentioned that mangam other day is he still alive

2 hours ago, wildman said:

Got ya remember now, was that John wright lived  near round house , mate of mine mentioned that mangam other day is he still alive

Bush has been dead years mate he got a custodial sentence when he was 72 for night poaching and other offences.