TALLY HOO CHRISTMAS DOG SHOW AND RACEDAY SUNDAY 12th DECEMBER 21

TALLY HOO CHRISTMAS DOG SHOW AND RACEDAY SUNDAY 12th DECEMBER 21

After weeks of preparation, and with jingle bells ringing in the air, it was time to Tally Hoo and away we go to the City of the famous 7 Towers. Yes Ballee Park,  Ballymena  was the venue  for this years  Tally Hoo Christmas Dog Show and Race Day of 2021.

As we approached the Ballee playing fields, I think somebody up above was busy getting the weather adjusted for this Show and Race day. All the way down the motorway it was raining and dull, but once we reached the field the rain had stopped and the Christmas atmosphere was on its way in abundance.

As this was the last show of 2021   the great canine folk and hunting men left the field and their homes to spend a day out at this great Christmas Sporting occasion. By midday the venue was filled to capacity with barking dogs, trailers, and families all taking time out from Christmas shopping and all the trials and tribulations that goes with the festive season.

Shows are an exciting way to challenge both yourself and your dog, while meeting people in an atmosphere of healthy competition. And certainly there was plenty of competition on the day. 

While I was browsing around with my now famous camera phone I met up with some lovely Canine folk. Billy Kerry and dad Michael travelled all the way up from the deep south , as did Edel Morrissey and Shane Brett. These guys are all good country sports people, who love to show and race their dogs in the summer and work them in the field in the winter.

Matt Lee, Joanna Relf Lee and the entire family were there in full force and played a big part in helping Peter Morgan with the running of his show. Matt is so professional in the way he runs things. I know Matt for 25 years around shows and it was so great to hear those dolcet tones ringing out again “ Ladies and Gentlemen” it brought back so many happy memories of Game Fairs and Shows of yesterday. Please bring back those years.

I am a whippet woman at heart, but was brought up on a farm in County Monaghan amongst a hunting mad family, with some great Lurchers and Terriers at our house over the years. Nothing as good as the big turnout and great mix of Lurchers, Terriers, Whippets and Strong dogs at Sundays show. It was a judges nightmare and some very hard decisions to make.

Time passes so quickly when you are enjoying yourself, and very soon Santa was on his way with lots and lots of goodies for the children. This was my highlight of the day. We had lots of singing Jingle Bells by little Nancy Truesdale who got out of her sick bed to come to see Santa, and o dear god it was so heart warming to see the smiles on those we faces when Santa arrived. There was also a class for the best dressed dog on the day, and that created so much fun and  interest.

***Here are the Racing Results produced for me by Joanna Relf Lee

PUPPIES

1/IAN TAGGERT WITH CHASE

2/CHELSEA LEE WITH TRIXIE

UNDER 21

1/ROSE Mc COY  WITH LOXIE

2/PATSY Mc COY WITH DALLAS

UNDER 23

1/COLIN Mc DONALD WITH COPPER

2/ROSE Mc COY  WITH TEXAS

OVER 23

1/COLIN TUCKER WITH FLETCHER

2/DARREN BRADLEY WITH DIESEL

HAIRY OVER

1/SEAMUS HARTE WITH NED

2/SHANE BRETT WITH ROSE

HAIRY UNDER

1/JOHNNY HUNTER WITH JESS

2/SOPHIE BROOKS WITH EVIE

BULL

1/JED DONAGH WITH JESS

2/SCOTT BROOKS WITH ZEUS

WHIPPETS

1/BARRY CHAMBERS WITH JACK

2/BARRY CHAMBERS WITH ALFIE

WHIPPET PUPS

BARRY HOLLAND WITH PEBBLES

TERRIERS

1/JED DONAGH WITH THUG

2/SAM KIRWAN WITH THOR

SHOWING RESULTS

CHILDREN AND ADULT FANCY DRESS AND BEST DRESSED DOG

1/FLORENCE ALLISON WITH DUGGIE

2/KATELYN Mc KENZIE WITH SASHA

3/ROSE MC COY WITH ARIA AND LOXI

LADIES HANDLING CLASS

KATELYN Mc KENZIE WITH SASHA

GENTS HANDLING CLASS

BRADLEY DYNES WITH FEGAN

WHIPPETS

MATTHEW DEVLIN WITH KENNY

RESERVE

COLIN TUCKER WITH COOPER

**PETER MORGANS CHOICE TROPHY

CAYCE COYLE WITH PRINCE

LURCHERS

JED DONAGH WITH ACE

RESERVE

LISA BEGGS WITH RIA

BARRY HOLLAND WITH FIN

TERRIERS

NIALL O CLOGHAN WITH NAN

RESERVE

DANNY MAXWELL WITH CHARLIE

Niall O Cloghan with Nan

STRONG DOGS

HARRY JOHN DIGGING WITH STORM

RESERVE

FRANKY C BULLZ WITH MILO

CHONTELLE Mc MEEKIN WITH DROGO

OVERALL CHAMPION PUPPY AND BEST IN SHOW

HARRY JOHN DIGGING WITH GALAXY

SUSAN Mc CANN WITH PENNY

OVERALL CHAMPION AND BEST IN SHOW

JED DONAGH WITH ACE

RESERVE

HARRY JOHN DIGGING WITH STORM

A big Congratulations to all winners in the Showing and Racing and well done to all.

As the shades of the winter darkness was falling fast it was quickly Raffle time.  The raffle always generates miles of laughter and excitement. Some great and valuable Christmas prizes, including a Turkey. Lots of big people and some very small people went home very happy campers with armfuls of goodies and trophies.

And Finally, may I take this opportunity to thank the judges and their ring stewards on the day for a job well done.

Dogs Fancy Dress Class = Margaret Mc Stay

Whippets = Kirsty Harpur

Lurchers =  Gerald Maybin

Terriers =    Matt Lee

Strong Dogs = Jamie Taggart

Judging is not an easy job, but you were consistent and fair, and very successful with the end product.  

I took some photographs with my mobile, and these photographs are all up now on Face book.

Finally, Finally, the craic and the banter was good and a brilliant atmosphere all around at this Christmas Show and Raceday.  None of this would have been possible without the main man at the helm, and brilliant organiser Peter Morgan and his back up team. Peter has worked tirelessly and gave up his time to make this show so successful and enjoyable on the day. Peter your show was a credit to you and you made every one so welcome. You went over and above the call of duty here with your Trophies, Rosettes and Prizes. Nothing but praise from everybody that came my way.

A special word of thanks to Matt Lee and Joanna Relf Lee and her brothers for being so helpful on the day. Your experience and input was invaluable, and of this the Tally Hoo team are extremely grateful. Some sleepless nights, but all well worth it and a credit to Peter Morgan and everybody involved.

Lets not forget the very lonely homes to day, both North and South of the border with people suffering so much with the loss of their loved ones due to this terrible pandemic. Hopefully 2022 will be better for all of us, and I will look forward to meeting up with you all again in the new year.

Stay safe, God Bless, and have a lovely Christmas

Margaret Mc Stay

Edited by appleblossom
  • appleblossom changed the title to TALLY HOO CHRISTMAS DOG SHOW AND RACEDAY SUNDAY 12th DECEMBER 21