Podencos

32 minutes ago, micky said:

Is that  sport ?

No different to nets.

But the point is they're something a bit different.  A pure bred rabbit hunter on some pretty tricky ground where nets might be impractical doing their stuff.  I find it interesting to see how others have dealt with problems similar to our own. 

• Like 8

A couple who live near my daughter's school have two of the smaller terrier sized podengos (is it podengos or podengoes?). They told me I'm the first person who ever knew what they were...I don't think they're workers though.?

I've, after many years of hunting, have learnt  not apply the "why don't they do it this way" and except that its THEIR way ,arrived after many years chasing the game of choice .I really enjoyed watching the video ,some skilled dogs there for sure & as already stated very interesting. Any type of chase on that ground  is boarding on being dangerous, a broken leg would be common I'm guessing ,and I doubt many dogs would make old age. This  might be the reason as to the number of dogs being worked at one time ,in the advent of a mishap, there are plenty to carry on next week  .Cheers for sharing Sandymere.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

good clip that sandy ....those dogs were very good at what they do .....in most of the bits of film ive seen of them over there i dont think i have ever seen as many caught around the holes as that vid.....in most the other vids the runs are longer and more get away.....usually they are better at not going in together on each others catches in fact i have been very impressed with there retrieving in past vids with  more dogs on...

like most lads i like one dog....or possibly two sometimes ....but i think its a very blinkered view to dismiss there way of hunting....bang a few purse nets on them spots and them spanish guys might think..... thats not very sporting

i think that was on one of the canary islands ..looks steep and volcanic....

• Like 3
1 hour ago, TOMO said:

good clip that sandy ....those dogs were very good at what they do .....in most of the bits of film ive seen of them over there i dont think i have ever seen as many caught around the holes as that vid.....in most the other vids the runs are longer and more get away.....usually they are better at not going in together on each others catches in fact i have been very impressed with there retrieving in past vids with  more dogs on...

like most lads i like one dog....or possibly two sometimes ....but i think its a very blinkered view to dismiss there way of hunting....bang a few purse nets on them spots and them spanish guys might think..... thats not very sporting

i think that was on one of the canary islands ..looks steep and volcanic....

Yes Canaries,  they reckon what's not pure rock is cactus ?.  A bit different from the bushing types on the  mainland. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!I  would like to clarify some things since I am from the Canary Islands.

First of all, the nets here are illegal. You can't use nets in sport, so either the dogs or we must catch the rabbit.

Secondly, there is no digging here.... If the ferret doesn't come out you try to plug the exits and come back for it the same evening or the next day. The volcanic soil makes rescue impossible.

Thirdly, although it may not seem like it... Our dogs grow old... Hahahaha. It is more than 300 years of adaptation to the environment. For some reason... They hang in there.

A pleasure, gentlemen!

• Like 7