Puppy recall

9 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

She's  Wheaton bull grey?DSC_0270.JPG.942fa1ae811e8987c0a0591b76b912d8.JPG

So she's stubborn, strong-willed, intelligent and obviously chock full of hunting instinct. If you're taking her out hunting at this age you've not got a hope in hell that she will think you are more interesting than all those scents and sounds. If you have an adult dog that is very obedient, sees you as the pack leader who takes them where the hunting is good, then she'll learn the right thing from it. If not, then she'll be off to do her own thing, which is far more exciting than staying with boring you who only tells her not to do the stuff she wants to do. I routinely took pups out with sensible, obedient adult dogs and only had a problem if they were lone hunter types, but if I had a pup on its own with no other dog to give a good example, then I would be taking the pup ferreting. That way it learns to stay with me and the ferrets because we are where the action is and more chance of getting her mouth round fur than if she just hunts for herself. If you make where you are the most exciting place to be, she'll soon learn that being with you is the double whammy: she learns to see you as the one that makes things happen, and grows up being part of a team, a pack.

Alternatively, if you keep her on a long lead, take her out for walks, wait for her to show interest in some undergrowth, before you poke about with a stick to flush what's there. Not very productive unless you live somewhere where the rabbits routinely sit out on top.

Or, you can hide a dried rabbit skin in a hedgerow, keep her on a long lead, let her find it, grab it, you can then reel her in with a huge amount of praise. This way, too, she learns to keep near to you. Once again, she needs to learn that when you are near, things happen that satisfy her instincts. Hope this helps.

Oh, and by the way, never tell her off for following her instincts. She'll begin to see you as a killjoy. Not what you want at all. There should be no negative response from you at this stage in her development. Go overboard with praise and joy when she comes to you, reward her with food if necessary to begin with. Play tug, chase the rabbit skin on a string. Generally let her have fun.

• Like 5

Never really have much of an issue with recall, pups spend their time trotting about off lead from six / eight weeks. Learn to follow on and stick with the pack. Just generally make them my mate. Use tug training etc. All the terrier bases Lurchers I’ve had have had good recall and retrieved to hand. But you have to remember pups are like babies / children and not get too stressed. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, skycat said:

So she's stubborn, strong-willed, intelligent and obviously chock full of hunting instinct. If you're taking her out hunting at this age you've not got a hope in hell that she will think you are more interesting than all those scents and sounds. If you have an adult dog that is very obedient, sees you as the pack leader who takes them where the hunting is good, then she'll learn the right thing from it. If not, then she'll be off to do her own thing, which is far more exciting than staying with boring you who only tells her not to do the stuff she wants to do. I routinely took pups out with sensible, obedient adult dogs and only had a problem if they were lone hunter types, but if I had a pup on its own with no other dog to give a good example, then I would be taking the pup ferreting. That way it learns to stay with me and the ferrets because we are where the action is and more chance of getting her mouth round fur than if she just hunts for herself. If you make where you are the most exciting place to be, she'll soon learn that being with you is the double whammy: she learns to see you as the one that makes things happen, and grows up being part of a team, a pack.

Alternatively, if you keep her on a long lead, take her out for walks, wait for her to show interest in some undergrowth, before you poke about with a stick to flush what's there. Not very productive unless you live somewhere where the rabbits routinely sit out on top.

Or, you can hide a dried rabbit skin in a hedgerow, keep her on a long lead, let her find it, grab it, you can then reel her in with a huge amount of praise. This way, too, she learns to keep near to you. Once again, she needs to learn that when you are near, things happen that satisfy her instincts. Hope this helps.

Oh, and by the way, never tell her off for following her instincts. She'll begin to see you as a killjoy. Not what you want at all. There should be no negative response from you at this stage in her development. Go overboard with praise and joy when she comes to you, reward her with food if necessary to begin with. Play tug, chase the rabbit skin on a string. Generally let her have fun.

I'm sure the Op will find this very helpful?

• Haha 2

? Personally, I think too much formal training,. too early on, can frequently inhibit the inherent, natural hunting ability, in a roustabout jukel.

I follow the Keith Erlandson method of early schooling, whereby he used to commit virtual heresy amongst the Gundog fraternity, by allowing and encouraging his young tykes to hunt up, at an early age...

Obviously, as our own Skycat has mentioned, this practice is frequently counter-productive for most folk,.. and I would not advise novice lurcher enthusiasts to follow my lead...

Far better, to reign a young lurcher in and prevent it from becoming wed to the rabbiting game ,..before it is wed to you..?

That being said,.. when you do create an early bond with a pup and you take the cur everywhere with you, then you can sometimes become a lethal team...? 

As anyone who has walked out with me will no doubt attest,. I do like an obedient and well-mannered canine hunting partner,.. and I insist upon fielding an animal that can find his quarry anywhere, anyplace, anytime...That initial, early link, twixt man and dog can become so strong that, in many cases,.. the chosen quarry species is on a hiding to nothing, and generally gets fecked, and I do mean,... proper fecked ?

As for recall ,...why wouldn't any young dog want to be around an interesting, exciting and consistent, handler.

To the original poster,...perhaps strive to become, the most important being in your young lurcher's life,....become his best pal..

In my experience, the rest is easy and pretty soon falls into place...?

All the best, stay safe lads,...kind regards, OldPhil.?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 12
34 minutes ago, OldPhil said:

? Personally, I think too much formal training,. too early on, can frequently inhibit the inherent, natural hunting ability, in a roustabout jukel.

I follow the Keith Erlandson method of early schooling, whereby he used to commit virtual heresy amongst the Gundog fraternity, by allowing and encouraging his young tykes to hunt up at an early age...

Obviously, as our own Skycat has mentioned, this practice is frequently counter-productive for most folk,.. and I would not advise novice lurcher enthusiasts to follow my lead...

Far better to reign a young lurcher in and prevent it from becoming wed to the rabbiting game ,..before it is wed to you..?

That being said,.. when you do create an early bond with a pup and you take the cur everywhere with you, then you can sometimes become a lethal team...? 

As anyone who has walked out with me will no doubt attest,. I do like an obedient and well-mannered canine hunting partner,.. and I insist upon fielding an animal that can find his quarry anywhere, anyplace, anytime...That initial, early link, twixt man and dog can become so strong that, in many cases,.. the chosen quarry is on a hiding to nothing, and generally gets fecked, and I do mean,... proper fecked ?

As for recall ,...why wouldn't any young dog want to be around an interesting, exciting and consistent, handler.

To the original poster,...perhaps strive to become, the most important being in your young lurcher's life,....become his best pal..

In my experience, the rest is easy and pretty soon falls into place...?

All the best, stay safe lads,...kind regards, OldPhil.

1363.JPG

PHL_8297.JPG

_K1A3091.JPG

Why is he doing the hakka

• Like 1

Re obedience and recall...I'd say that the most obedient lurcher I ever had was a collie x whippet. She always did exactly as she was asked but, unfortunately, at a detriment to her initiative when it came to working. Oddly, the hardest thing for me when it came to training her was recall. The reason being that she honestly never left my side more than a few metres as a pup. I had to actually get somebody else to lead her away, unclip the lead and then call her back as I didn't want to assume she'd recall in an emergency.?

• 1 month later...

We've got a new Lurcher Pup Saluki X Greyhound and are keen to put her on a longlead (slip) to help with her recall. She's now 7 months and whilst her foundation is reasonable her recall is very hit & miss. We're hoping to improve this but are worried that this type of lead can be harmful to them? Alot of sites say that any Lurcher should be on a harness?     We are not planning to  have the lead super long, just  enough to allow us to do some controlled recalls.

We already use a standard slip lead for her general walks so she is used to the motion. 

Any help appreciated. 

IMG_20211125_173045.jpg