Vizla x Whippet

4 hours ago, Black neck said:

Any good

yeh,  had some good runs, and couple in the woods, feck knows how Buck  goes though there at speed after his quarry, i fell over bloody 3 times  going after him lol, he fooked today left him in his kennel all day with heat lamp,  stops the stiffness  more so at his age 9 year old , but he loves the old lamping job, weather was spot on black, windy night . 

• Like 2

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes mate got a beddy Lurcher and wouldn’t swap him for ewt but I’d of liked to add her to my gang 

Nearly all the Vislas I've met in the last 10 yrs have been real nervy dogs...not something I would have around me...stick with what you got, put all your time into it... then get another in a few sea

I have a big bushing bitch whom is a straight Lab x Visla ,she has the lab nature & would eat her own back leg if it was offered to her ,but she has the pointer work mindset ,she never stops ,has

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, bird said:

yeh,  had some good runs, and couple in the woods, feck knows how Buck  goes though there at speed after his quarry, i fell over bloody 3 times  going after him lol, he fooked today left him in his kennel all day with heat lamp,  stops the stiffness  more so at his age 9 year old , but he loves the old lamping job, weather was spot on black, windy night . 

sounds like you had fun mate old dog still doing the do ?

4 hours ago, bird said:

Good on ya Ray, can't beat a bit o falling over ?

On 09/12/2021 at 10:17, Samrog said:

Has anyone ever seen this cross and know if they can work?? 

Before  I got my pup last March I missed out on a pup this breeding, I was gutted at the time lovely looking pup,  it was a blessing in disguise as my Lurcher  was half the price and he’s now catching rabbit at 10 months and overall doing great and a nice companion, but I stop and think about the pup I missed and what could of been from time to time. 

next to nothing at all on Google about the cross

cheers, Sam.  

I reckon you missed out. It probably would have excelled at mooching around......(and that’s probably why it’s still haunting you). 

Old fella I knew worked dogs all his life...He said the best rabbiting dog he ever saw was a Irish setter x whippet....who’d have thought it.

Eveybody is so used to either collie x or bedlington cross type lurchers, most will say probably they’re common for good reason and that’s fair enough, but I stepped over to the other side with my springer x lurcher and maybe I got very lucky with a one off......but by christ her skill level at daytime hunting was a joy to watch. It still amazes me that people use bedlingtons or collies when there’s so many offerings from the different variety of gundogs out there.....but no it’s still bedlingtons or collie.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Shortstraw said:

I reckon you missed out. It probably would have excelled at mooching around......(and that’s probably why it’s still haunting you). 

Old fella I knew worked dogs all his life...He said the best rabbiting dog he ever saw was a Irish setter x whippet....who’d have thought it.

Eveybody is so used to either collie x or bedlington cross type lurchers, most will say probably they’re common for good reason and that’s fair enough, but I stepped over to the other side with my springer x lurcher and maybe I got very lucky with a one off......but by christ her skill level at daytime hunting was a joy to watch. It still amazes me that people use bedlingtons or collies when there’s so many offerings from the different variety of gundogs out there.....but no it’s still bedlingtons or collie.

90% of my time out hunting is mooching so I do often wonder how the vizla x would of got on and I’m more interested to see how she turned out looking as a dog, you could hardly tell she wasn’t straight vizla in my opinion. No complaints from me tho I’m very pleased with my pup. 

I totally agree with you tho I do wonder why people don’t often breed other dogs than them to sight hounds unless it’s been tried and failed…. I’m new to the Lurcher game so lots to learn. 

any pics of the spaniel Lurcher I’d like to see that?! 

11 hours ago, Samrog said:

90% of my time out hunting is mooching so I do often wonder how the vizla x would of got on and I’m more interested to see how she turned out looking as a dog, you could hardly tell she wasn’t straight vizla in my opinion. No complaints from me tho I’m very pleased with my pup. 

I totally agree with you tho I do wonder why people don’t often breed other dogs than them to sight hounds unless it’s been tried and failed…. I’m new to the Lurcher game so lots to learn. 

any pics of the spaniel Lurcher I’d like to see that?! 

Tell you what I bet it ended up been stunning looking.

If you ever do go down the gun dog lurcher route most of the time the pups are from accidental matings, however you do find the odd purpose bred gundog lurcher. Nothing wrong with collie or bedlington bred lurchers, plenty of well experienced people on here swear by them and for good reasons. Mine was out and out daytime mooching, no ferreting no lamping. Like anything I would be careful what gundog breed you wanted in a lurcher for the work you do.....I wanted spaniel in there and was lucky enough to find one and I was ver happy with her, but it was a gamble.

Seen a pure Vizla bitch working with a gos hawk some years ago and thought then what a cross would it make bred to a grew. I have only come across an handful of gundog bred lurcher's mostly springer x whippets and all of them were handy mooching dogs especially for the moocher who hunts with a catapult. My mate has a cracking small lurcher bitch that was bred out of his springer x whippet to a grew x bedlington that has stamina to burn and is obedient.

• Like 1

theres an old boy lives close to one of my perms, farmer lets him run a few fields, where theres no stock, hes got a young english pointer, totally out of control, comes back when its ready, too much dog for him, but boy has it got some stamina in it,neverstops and can fair shift,watched it the other day winding and flushing pheasants, on good sized fields,thought to myself that bred to a lurcher might produce a good daytime sort of dog,just my way of thinking, damn shame this dog is wasted, in knowlegible hands would be a good enough worker.

• Like 1

Now, it's not my intention to slag off any type or breed, but I've never understood why anyone would use a HPR type in creating a lurcher. These are types that have been bred for generations NOT to run in on game.

Yes, I've seen some nice looking GWP x lurchers, and heard of some lab x's, but what do they add to a lurcher line that other breeds don't ?

I may be wrong, of course, and I'm sure people own this type and are very happy with them, it's just my personal opinion ?

Cheers.

• Like 1