Old ammo

Well.. did you shoot them, offload them or what....  we bought a quantity of 22rf from an auction.  Some were green print boxes and some red print. We found that the brass cased rounds fire ok and are quite accurate.   Perhaps not Olympic standard but accurate enough for 50 paces.  The copper cased ones don't generally fire.  The primer compound seems to have degraded by the copper case and don't ignite. (Generally,)   even after turning the case several times. ). The brass cased ones all fired ok.  The powder is ok though if the tip is pulled and a match applied to the powder.  They're not dangerous, they either work or they don't.  Just clean the bore afterwards with a phosphor bronze brush and lube ect.

And if they don't go bang you can always rotate the case and give em another go or two or three.  If they haven't performed by that, snap the bullet out, pour the powder into a pile and put a match to the pile. Sport one way or another.

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 14/12/2021 at 14:36, Dervburner said:

Yerr, not too good for distance SD, but good for rats on the embankment, as well as the odd rabbit that’s turns up. They were dirt cheap as well. The rws shorts I had were more accurate, and faster, but  quite a bit more expensive. I’ve had the eley .22 short high velocity which were good, but no longer available unless you can happen on some old stock. CCI do a hollow point short, but sourcing them isn’t easy. The last ones I’ve seen were at forest lodge guns a few years ago.

What gun are you putting them through??