Springer x lab

28 minutes ago, welsh_hunter12 said:

The little bitch got into my shed yesterday jumped on the lurcher’s kennel then across to the garden furniture and up to the shelves! Chewed my sealand gaiters, about 30 purse nets, my cartridge belt and a really old catapult! She’d better make a good gun dog haha.

Sign of a good dog ?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got her off TomKeeper off her on Sunday and she’s a clever thing already well chuffed with her.roll on training in a few months 

She’s a belter.so easy to train too.

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
On 08/06/2022 at 20:41, welsh_hunter12 said:

The little bitch got into my shed yesterday jumped on the lurcher’s kennel then across to the garden furniture and up to the shelves! Chewed my sealand gaiters, about 30 purse nets, my cartridge belt and a really old catapult! She’d better make a good gun dog haha.

That’s what I would like to see in a pup, wf 

• 2 months later...

Well it’s her first day on a shoot tomorrow! Mainly to see what it’s all about.her re call is spot on and she stops dead at the stop whistle.the shoot is a small one with no strict beating lines so it’s ideal for her to get experience.she’s not even turned 12 months yet so slowly slowly and all that. Pics to follow tomorrow 

Well I’m proud as punch! She done well today.she was a bit shit scared of all the other dogs at first but soon settled.I kept her on the lead for the first 3 drives but let her off on the 4th and she actually put up a couple of birds.she was watching the ones flying over like a hawk.she did run on a bit far a couple of times but luckily the keeper is a laid back bloke.she has certainly learnt a lot today 

• Like 3
30 minutes ago, welsh_hunter12 said:

She wasn’t too good to start with but as soon as she saw the cockers going through on the second drive she was smashing straight through it 

Read about a few miniature lab /retriever crosses that were owned by poachers with shotguns back in day before a licence was needed for them, most were accidental litters  funnily enough  , but must admit I like look of the lab x springers ?

• Like 2

A totally different dog today! She had her mad moment on the first drive. After that she settled and was not ranging to far ahead and coming back to the whistle.only embarrassing moment today was her going flat out across a field of sugar beet right up the arse of a muntjac.luckily she didn’t follow it through the thick cover it smashed through.

• Like 1

Just a word of advice, take it or leave it.

More dogs are ruined by doing too much too soon, than waiting for them to mature a bit. 

It's nice to get your dog out but at 9 months working on a shoot, it's the perfect melting pot for problems to come up and be learned for life.

I shot over my young spaniel too young, and have lived with the concequences ever since.

I still managed to make him into a trial winner but would of been a lot easier if I didn't have to correct the faults / bad habits that were learned when rushing in too soon. 

I am glad to see your dog is coming on so well mate :) keep it up and you'll have a good one for life. 

• Like 1