Downsizing

6 minutes ago, baker boy said:

£1000+ a shift for the premium shifts tho mate, 3 shifts and Im off til Jan

I'm only doing the two at Christmas but I've wangled New Year's Eve as well, plus those shifts in between Christmas and New Year are payed at weekend rate 12 hours plus an extra 8 hours at basic. 

I've worked on the railway since 2003 and it's the first I've done. 

Edited by Greb147

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do everything I do for my 3 and my Mrs...that's my world,I wouldn't change it,so  long as I got a hole in my arse??

i gave it best about 15 years ago ,just got sick of all the shite , ,just make a few knives and bits and bobs ,out with the dogs ,dont know how i found time for work  ,fk it enjoy your time while your

I'm retired now but worked till 66. In my early 60s was working on the cards as a maintenance manager but had a row with the owner and walked off the job. After taking dip shit jobs agency work etc yo

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

I'm only doing the two at Christmas but I've wangled New Year's Eve as well, plus those shifts in between Christmas and New Year are payed at weekend rate 12 hours plus an extra 8 hours at basic. 

I've worked on the railway since 2003 and it's the first I've done. 

My nephew is on the railways, welder, loves the job itself, decent money, but is permanent nights, plays havoc with his family life as he has a young child. 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Qbgrey said:

Getting a bit old and my body can’t take too much now so just a shout out to anyone who has been self employed or ran thier own business then gone and become an employee on a monthly payed full time job.fills me with horror if I’m honest not being able to come and go as I please and finishing work at 5 pm to 6 pm for less money .????????

Sounds like an attack of the blues mate, every bloke who works for himself gets that.

Then, a bit of sun on your back, a nice little tickle on a price somewhere and alls right with the world.

It will pass ;) 

• Like 5
26 minutes ago, mackem said:

My nephew is on the railways, welder, loves the job itself, decent money, but is permanent nights, plays havoc with his family life as he has a young child. 

Hate nights myself, doing Saturday nights is bad enough. 

I'm doing afters at Christmas and Boxing Day, still can get up with the kids to watch them opening their presents. 

Will kill me leaving for work though ain't going to lie, saving grace is they're only 8 hour shifts instead of the usual 12.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

Hate nights myself, doing Saturday nights is bad enough. 

I'm doing afters at Christmas and Boxing Day, still can get up with the kids to watch them opening their presents. 

Will kill me leaving for work though ain't going to lie, saving grace is they're only 8 hour shifts instead of the usual 12.

Rather spend the day with the kids mate.than 8 hours pay..but I have done it..First year I have had of Christmas in years.

• Like 2
Just now, W. Katchum said:

Ain’t your kid still young? Not saying it not important pal as it deffo is, but grab that money whilst it’s good like that cos you’ll need it and more as they get older ? kids ain’t cheap, trust me, I’m skint ?‍♂️?

The youngest is but got 2 older kids, needs must fella. 

I'm not doing it for the fun of it that's for sure. Would rather eat shit but skint myself. 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

I’d say about half the w country feel same way, I got to say best thing k done was sorta jack me job an go solo. It’s been a hard slog but getting there an j wouldn’t look back, not yet anyway haha ? 

I meant to be going to look at that lads coursing pup this weekend but truth be told it's popped up at completely the wrong time, it's about priorities, shouldn't really be forking out on a dog atm with Christmas just around the corner. ?

1 hour ago, mackem said:

working nights,  regular  deff hard on wife and kids , my younger brother done it 20 years , ok he got good money , but me and my old man  struggled with it, not so much family etc side of it , but couldnt hack the physical  side to  it, fooked our guts up eating early hours , my old man got a day job , i left the job, we were all at Goodyear tyre company .    

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, bird said:

working nights,  regular  deff hard on wife and kids , my younger brother done it 20 years , ok he got good money , but me and my old man  struggled with it, not so much family etc side of it , but couldnt hack the physical  side to  it, fooked our guts up eating early hours , my old man got a day job , i left the job, we were all at Goodyear tyre company .    

Some people need little sleep, some need regular sleep patterns, some can handle nights easily, I don't think my bodyclock could reset to nights. 

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

What pisses me off is I'm not living a flashy life, on a decent wage and still skint. 

Better off jacking in, breeding a few litters and growing weed cos I must be doing something wrong. 

After all the bills and other out goings there's certainly not much left for the average bloke or famly..

Talking to a lad the other day who doesn't work..

f**k am literally better of than him by about 100 notes a week .

You can see why some don't bother working.

Anyways.do what you need 2 and have a good Christmas .

• Like 1

It’s boom or bust you get used to having a certain amount of money and would prob be difficult get less pay per week.your body and minds get repetitive chase the moneys syndrome.although I’m not bothered now if a day off comes round years ago if you lost a week day you was in on sat to compensate.I got no worries with trying to keep up with other people financially never have.I’ve got enough gear around me to create money if needed.

• Like 3
21 hours ago, Qbgrey said:

Getting a bit old and my body can’t take too much now so just a shout out to anyone who has been self employed or ran thier own business then gone and become an employee on a monthly payed full time job.fills me with horror if I’m honest not being able to come and go as I please and finishing work at 5 pm to 6 pm for less money .????????

Sorry I haven’t read all the reply’s but I have just done what you have said, I,ve worked for myself all my working life, in the final year I was getting more pissed off with customers etc who suddenly appear to know more than the people they employ to do the work because they have watched a video, also the tax man has slowly removed all the cash incentives that made self employment worth doing, now he gets his grubby little mitts on every penny you earn and cash has become a swear word, I,ve started working on the books this year am now on my second job and actually quite enjoying the lack of responsibility,don’t like the clock watching side of things but not having to deal with people more than makes up for it also nice knowing your money is there every week without having to chase it up  , so I’d say I,m probably a bit more tired from working 10hr days but a lot lessstressed from dealing with fucktards every day, ???

• Like 1