Wanted - Whippet or Smaller Lurcher Pup

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Beautiful animals....? Bilko bred, Non-Ped ...  

I can well understand your preference for the stunning looking,. non-pedigree, Hard Blood style of whippet ,...however,.. these superlative , purpose bred racing machines, often harbour a slight probl

?@Bosun.. A whippet (a good 'un) is a great choice for a bit of rattin and roustabout rabbiting? I had a fair few during the 1970's... I like whippets... Best of luck with the search?

Posted Images

On 07/12/2021 at 23:04, Bosun11 said:

I know how good a whippet can be Moocher, what i/we are looking for is a hard blood track bred animal, rather than a KC show one.

and well bred none ped  racing whippet  will be spot on paul for him. ive said many time on here about them , i had 20 in 20 lb little bitch , catch rabbits ,  and give a hars few turns as well, but some of the males down the track were about 21-23 in 30-34 lb  real full on type dogs, a lad had 2 brothers that he used on foxes , tough/ strong litt le dogs,  i deff ask around where they still race them, this was in the black country  cannock  south staffs in the 80s

• Like 1
On 10/12/2021 at 16:32, bird said:

and well bred none ped  racing whippet  will be spot on paul for him. ive said many time on here about them , i had 20 in 20 lb little bitch , catch rabbits ,  and give a hars few turns as well, but some of the males down the track were about 21-23 in 30-34 lb  real full on type dogs, a lad had 2 brothers that he used on foxes , tough/ strong litt le dogs,  i deff ask around where they still race them, this was in the black country  cannock  south staffs in the 80s

Spot on Ray but it seems nobody on here can point my in the right direction... ?

10 hours ago, Bosun11 said:

Spot on Ray but it seems nobody on here can point my in the right direction... ?

when it comes to whippets it seems to be some sort of secret society. there is whippet racing near me, but when looking for a pup for work, I got no where. I asked about litters on here and got 1 pm from a well known member who I found very helpful ?. i decided to go for kc as some said not as fast but better nose and stamina. after over 30 years of whippet crosses I now have a 13 week old whippet pup. I will give a honest opinion good or bad on how she turns out. I know a few swear by them, we shall hopefully find out ?

• Like 2

The non-ped racing people breed their dogs to race, they have been breeding the best to the best for generations to get the fastest dog over a relatively short distance.

They get great pride in seeing their progeny win big Open races and Racing Champion status.

Gone are the days when people like me would have "dual purpose" whippets, hunting and coursing during the week and racing at the weekend.

I still go regularly to my local Whippet clubs and am friends with many of the people. I've been offered very well bred pups many times to get me back into racing, but have never been offered one for hunting, on the other hand, I've been offered the use of stud dogs to use over my lurchers if needed, so the blood is there for lurcher breeding.

Whippet racing has declined greatly since its heyday , so it doesn't supprise me that they want to keep the pups they breed amongst racing enthusiasts.

Cheers.

Edited by chartpolski
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
57 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

The non-ped racing people breed their dogs to race, they have been breeding the best to the best for generations to get the fastest dog over a relatively short distance.

They get great pride in seeing their progeny win big Open races and Racing Champion status.

Gone are the days when people like me would have "dual purpose" whippets, hunting and coursing during the week and racing at the weekend.

I still go regularly to my local Whippet clubs and am friends with many of the people. I've been offered very well bred pups many times to get me back into racing, but have never been offered one for hunting, on the other hand, I've been offered the use of stud dogs to use over my lurchers if needed, so the blood is there for lurcher breeding.

Whippet racing has declined greatly since its heyday , so it doesn't supprise me that they want to keep the pups they breed amongst racing enthusiasts.

Cheers.

Shame to see its decline , i used to go to afew whipet races around s yorks, east mids always enjoyable days out , but it seems such a closed shop to get into their partly  responsible for the decline , as for getting a kc whippet pup plenty on the  FB groups ?

On 07/12/2021 at 23:04, Bosun11 said:

I know how good a whippet can be Moocher, what i/we are looking for is a hard blood track bred animal, rather than a KC show one.

I can well understand your preference for the stunning looking,. non-pedigree, Hard Blood style of whippet ,...however,.. these superlative , purpose bred racing machines, often harbour a slight problem, for the roustabout hunting man....?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 6
23 hours ago, Bosun11 said:

Only a suggestion but i would contact Dave Sleight to see if he knows of any whippet litters in the pipeline.

• Like 2
On 07/12/2021 at 18:33, Bosun11 said:

Cheers for the shout mate but its gotta be 6/8/10 weeks old puppy.

And though i'm not well up on my Whippets, i know of a few KC ones and they'd shit themselves if they'd see a rubber rat, never mind a real one...

Had plenty rats with  kc whippets from work race coursing n show  an non ped. In the right hands some can more than take plenty in few hrs best number from a chicken shed pulled out on skis  leaving the shit 25 yrds from any buildings n ditches was over 300 in a few hr none got away 4 whippets 3 terriers worked together ,  worked them with ferrets plenty other times out by the feeders in game cover  great days , like any other breeds on rats some can be real good at the game it helps if they see plenty to make the call tho , the thing with getting a pup from racing stock ped or non ped is they pretty much booked before the mating takes place last racer bred I got I waited 3 yrs for the dam to be bred  a bitch before that I waited 2 yrs  , I don’t think way bred makes much difference how you raise and wat u use em for can , I prefer the speed balls but that can have its drawbacks ? 

8AAC8F93-11E6-4CD1-90AB-B842DD95B487.jpeg

Edited by green lurchers
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, green lurchers said:

Had plenty rats with  kc whippets from work race coursing n show  an non ped. In the right hands some can more than take plenty in few hrs best number from a chicken shed pulled out on skis  leaving the shit 25 yrds from any buildings n ditches was over 300 in a few hr none got away 4 whippets 3 terriers worked together ,  worked them with ferrets plenty other times out by the feeders in game cover  great days , like any other breeds on rats some can be real good at the game it helps if they see plenty to make the call tho , the thing with getting a pup from racing stock ped or non ped is they pretty much booked before the mating takes place last racer bred I got I waited 3 yrs for the dam to be bred  a bitch before that I waited 2 yrs  , I don’t think way bred makes much difference how you raise and wat u use em for can , I prefer the speed balls but that can have its drawbacks ? 

8AAC8F93-11E6-4CD1-90AB-B842DD95B487.jpeg

Is that dog Ruby in the centre ?

• Like 1

Why not start attending the tracks on training days get your face known but word of warning some non ped folk frown upon using them for hunting others sometimes use them for working quite often theres non peds that havent made the grade for racing that need rehoming too

• Like 3