Wanted - Whippet or Smaller Lurcher Pup

My mate who i do a bit of ratting with is looking for a Whippet or Whippety Lurcher pup.

Idealy he's looking for a small, fast dog that is tough enough to rat alongside terriers, ferret and lamp with.

A full whippet would be great but one with plenty of poke and will get stuck in to the rough and tumble of ditch side ratting days on freezing open land.

There's no rush but if anyone can point him in the right direction that would be welcome.

Thanks.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Beautiful animals....? Bilko bred, Non-Ped ...  

I can well understand your preference for the stunning looking,. non-pedigree, Hard Blood style of whippet ,...however,.. these superlative , purpose bred racing machines, often harbour a slight probl

?@Bosun.. A whippet (a good 'un) is a great choice for a bit of rattin and roustabout rabbiting? I had a fair few during the 1970's... I like whippets... Best of luck with the search?

Posted Images

34 minutes ago, Bosun11 said:

My mate who i do a bit of ratting with is looking for a Whippet or Whippety Lurcher pup.

Idealy he's looking for a small, fast dog that is tough enough to rat alongside terriers, ferret and lamp with.

A full whippet would be great but one with plenty of poke and will get stuck in to the rough and tumble of ditch side ratting days on freezing open land.

There's no rush but if anyone can point him in the right direction that would be welcome.

Thanks.

Know of a 5 month old whippet dog that’s been castrated kc reg? Don’t know how much there after but can ask 

1 hour ago, Gypsydog94 said:

Know of a 5 month old whippet dog that’s been castrated kc reg? Don’t know how much there after but can ask 

Cheers for the shout mate but its gotta be 6/8/10 weeks old puppy.

And though i'm not well up on my Whippets, i know of a few KC ones and they'd shit themselves if they'd see a rubber rat, never mind a real one...

?@Bosun..

A whippet (a good 'un) is a great choice for a bit of rattin and roustabout rabbiting?

I had a fair few during the 1970's... I like whippets...

Best of luck with the search?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 5
16 minutes ago, Bosun11 said:

And though i'm not well up on my Whippets, i know of a few KC ones and they'd shit themselves if they'd see a rubber rat, never mind a real one...

To be fair the lad will bring the mother of the pup out with the terriers and it ain’t afraid of much. But cannot comment on the pup. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Bosun11 said:

Whippets make good ratters ,you not see many whippets work if you think they lacking courage as they will give most stuff ago given the chance but rats and coney they excel at . 

41 minutes ago, Moocher71 said:

Whippets make good ratters ,you not see many whippets work if you think they lacking courage as they will give most stuff ago given the chance but rats and coney they excel at . 

I know how good a whippet can be Moocher, what i/we are looking for is a hard blood track bred animal, rather than a KC show one.

8 hours ago, Bosun11 said:

I know how good a whippet can be Moocher, what i/we are looking for is a hard blood track bred animal, rather than a KC show one.

Don’t know......my pure KC Whippet was hard as...I reckon hardier than some of the race whippets....probably more robust too. That was in the 80’s though.

Edited by Shortstraw
3 hours ago, Wideboy said:

I think what he means is he wants a pup from good tested workers. Not from a show/game fair prancing, rosette winning hound, that’s owner wear those leather horsey boots??

Ur right there's plenty of show pony's about now adays