What breeds should I look at.

Daveo

I think for general mooching about something with a bit of whippet/spaniel/terrier in would be ideal. Something that will hit cover and have a chance at a run or 2. Definitely a type I’ll be looking at in a couple of years. I can’t fault my spaniel terrier but it’s a bit thick and fast when he’s hunting and when he’s onto something his bark is a bit loud for sneaking about.  Bit of whippet in there to calm it down a bit! Something what Tyla has would be perfect. 

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

My young kelpie bitch recently caught her first squirrel too. Hopefully it'll be the first of many.?

Edited to add: she caught her second less than three hours after typing that.? I'm very happy!

Two days before her catch we met a couple in my local wood with a dog which its owners said had caught, "too many squirrels to count." It looked like a scruffy version of an Ozzy pig dog (c. 19" tall, pricked ears, white with tan patches) and was a blend of Jack Russel, English bulldog and bull terrier. They told me there was no point in them trying to get a replacement as they couldn't guarantee anything turning out the same. There were two bitches in the same litter which looked like pure Russels.

Edited by Neal
  • Like 1

Its funny my girlfriend has an older Staffordshire bull terrier he’s a nice type but has only ever been a pet Since I been running my little bitch on he’s decided he wants in on the action he’s now a fully fledged killer, keeps catching squirrels not bad for nearly 8????

370E9199-CBF9-490E-B48C-F5F686E6F01D.jpeg

• Like 2

Even though it's a dog I would never consider having wile ever I've got an hole in my arse my mate got a cockapoo for his wife and after taking it out has got it smashing cover and hunting like a goodun I think it's a breed no one would suspect you were up to no good mooching with a catty in your pocket and a dog like that. 

4 hours ago, tatsblisters said:

Even though it's a dog I would never consider having wile ever I've got an hole in my arse my mate got a cockapoo for his wife and after taking it out has got it smashing cover and hunting like a goodun I think it's a breed no one would suspect you were up to no good mooching with a catty in your pocket and a dog like that. 

There’s a syndicate shoot near me that have a couple in the beating line. They will pick up aswell 

6 hours ago, tatsblisters said:

Been there with a labradoodle years ago wouldn’t  walk through a puddle , hated the rain ,hated cover was typically French, only saving grace was good watch dog and didn’t like the then wife !?

wouldn’t have another .

11 hours ago, dytkos said:

One of the farms I lamp, the farmer got one for use on his rough shoot. It's gun shy lol but a hell of a guard dog.

Cheers, D.

Soz. This was/is a labradoodle.

Cheers, D.