First cross grey or whippet

If you had a opportunity to use a real well bred and tested bitch to put a running dog too to get some first crosses but not worried about them bieng overly tall would you use a greyhound dog bigish whippet dog mix of the two or just good old fast lurcher ?

Edited by C.green

There are variables here. If the bitch was a sighthound breed like saluki or deerhound then a fast hard striking type. Maybe fendog or quarter bull. If the bitch was a gundog, herding type, or bull type, then almost certainly a pure greyhound, preferably from lines tested on track or field. If there were more of Sandy's galgos around I'd definately be considering that.

Are you thinking of breeding a litter?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, C.green said:

If you had a opportunity to use a real well bred and tested bitch to put a running dog too to get some first crosses but not worried about them bieng overly tall would you use a greyhound dog bigish whippet dog mix of the two or just good old fast lurcher ?

Isn’t a first cross when you put two different pure breds together 

• Like 3
25 minutes ago, thefensarefarbutistillgo said:

Myself id say first x is one of the parents isnt a running dog generally. Bit different if you put a saluki greyhound to a collie obviously but generally speaking just wondered if folk had a preference and why.

41 minutes ago, Maximus Ferret said:

There are variables here. If the bitch was a sighthound breed like saluki or deerhound then a fast hard striking type. Maybe fendog or quarter bull. If the bitch was a gundog, herding type, or bull type, then almost certainly a pure greyhound, preferably from lines tested on track or field. If there were more of Sandy's galgos around I'd definately be considering that.

Are you thinking of breeding a litter?

Your right lot of variables but not after a lurchery sort at all im talking if the opportunity cropped up for you to use a non running dog bitch whether it be terrier collie or bull that was a goodun and you wasnt worried on them bieng overly tall would you have a preference on the running dog blood or just go straight to greyhound every time ?

• Like 1

It it was a bull,then I'd go straight to a greyhound..test them they should be game enough...then I would go back to a greyhound...can't beat a 3/4 grey 1/4 bull good for most stuff ?

I personally wouldn't touch anything with collie in it...not even with someone else's stick lol.good luck in whatever you choose Mr.Green?

• Like 3
On 07/12/2021 at 07:38, thefensarefarbutistillgo said:

Yeah say beddi over whippet Grey H over Deer H  Grey H over Collie  Because won't putting a first cross over a first cross breed second crosses ? Then if you put a Grey H x Collie Grey H  over another  collie x Grey will the be a third cross. Or is it just the same because its same breed ? 

21 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

It it was a bull,then I'd go straight to a greyhound..test them they should be game enough...then I would go back to a greyhound...can't beat a 3/4 grey 1/4 bull good for most stuff ?

I personally wouldn't touch anything with collie in it...not even with someone else's stick lol.good luck in whatever you choose Mr.Green?

A like the 5/8s 3/8s bull x Danny you get the stamp of the Grey nice saddle an back quarters plus jaw power of the bull too. An not only that you can road walk the dog without Jo public turning there heads. An if law local like they are here see a first cross bull they know  you've not just got the dog as a pet specially if you can see its seen graft . It's too much hassle so a 5/8s 3/8s is ideal just a smart looking dog. 

1 hour ago, Bangersanmash said:

A like the 5/8s 3/8s bull x Danny you get the stamp of the Grey nice saddle an back quarters plus jaw power of the bull too. An not only that you can road walk the dog without Jo public turning there heads. An if law local like they are here see a first cross bull they know  you've not just got the dog as a pet specially if you can see its seen graft . It's too much hassle so a 5/8s 3/8s is ideal just a smart looking dog. 

My mate owned a brindle 3/8 5/8 bull grey dog...looked more like a first cross (and put any I've seen to shame)but could run,he also had a black 3/4 grey 1/4 grey dog called Indy...that dog put tons of stuff to bed, teeth and edibles,even bend and catch hares...was a good dog,there's a few kennels of  these hairy beddy/deer/bull crosses about carry his blood in them,put the fire into a load of existing lines...both him and the brindle dog produced when put to any  bitch,black dog was bred in Staffordshire if I remember right and came down to Wales to the lads Dad Big Chris around 2000....truth be known,I could count on one hand the dogs I've seen since that came close to them pair....was out with the lad last week,he got out of the dogs after getting cleaned out 3 times by the gypos? but just got a young spaniel off his Oldman so took him out ferretting...lads one of the best dogmen I've had the pleasure to hunt with?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Daniel cain said:

My mate owned a brindle 3/8 5/8 bull grey dog...looked more like a first cross (and put any I've seen to shame)but could run,he also had a black 3/4 grey 1/4 grey dog called Indy...that dog put tons of stuff to bed, teeth and edibles,even bend and catch hares...was a good dog,there's a few kennels of  these hairy beddy/deer/bull crosses about carry his blood in them,put the fire into a load of existing lines...both him and the brindle dog produced when put to any  bitch,black dog was bred in Staffordshire if I remember right and came down to Wales to the lads Dad Big Chris around 2000....truth be known,I could count on one hand the dogs I've seen since that came close to them pair....was out with the lad last week,he got out of the dogs after getting cleaned out 3 times by the gypos? but just got a young spaniel off his Oldman so took him out ferretting...lads one of the best dogmen I've had the pleasure to hunt with?

Is that where your from Wales Danny one of fellas I know moved over from Yorkshire to Wales  trev manning  had some decent dogs over the years. I normally see him when he comes over at Christmas to see his old man an a wonder into local WMC for a few jars an a catch up. Haven't seen him with this covid 19 so wonder if he's still housing any dogs be 3 years this time if he doesn't pop into club. 

• Like 1