Mini mink hounds

14 hours ago, goldfinch2007 said:

Not a lot they can’t do 

they don’t know they got short legs 

can hunt all day 

1 hour ago, Netmaker said:

they can that

Why don't people that own and breed these dogs, set about a breeding plan to lengthen the legs, and shorten the backs of these dogs? 

Not a dig at you guys, just a genuine question. 

I really like teckels/dachshunds, my old old man still has the grandson, aged 12 now, of the two he had.  Grandmother lived to 16, but they both had more than a few problems over the years.  ?

5 hours ago, shaaark said:

Why don't people that own and breed these dogs, set about a breeding plan to lengthen the legs, and shorten the backs of these dogs? 

Not a dig at you guys, just a genuine question. 

I really like teckels/dachshunds, my old old man still has the grandson, aged 12 now, of the two he had.  Grandmother lived to 16, but they both had more than a few problems over the years.  ?

If it’s not broke why fix it ?

20 hours ago, goldfinch2007 said:

Not a lot they can’t do 

they don’t know they got short legs 

can hunt all day 

29 minutes ago, goldfinch2007 said:

Exactly plus if you messed about with the breeding crossing to this and that to get longer legs and shorter backs they wouldn't be teckels 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, goldfinch2007 said:

1 hour ago, Netmaker said:

Exactly plus if you messed about with the breeding crossing to this and that to get longer legs and shorter backs they wouldn't be teckels 

But many if them do get broke, and do need fixing, even after just jumping down off a settee, or trying to run down a few steps a bit too quickly.  

No-one has mentioned 'outcrossing' them to another breed.  Surely, it wouldn't be too hard for breeders to produce a less injurious type of teckel, like they were 60, 70 years ago?!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, shaaark said:

But many if them do get broke, and do need fixing, even after just jumping down off a settee, or trying to run down a few steps a bit too quickly.  

No-one has mentioned 'outcrossing' them to another breed.  Surely, it wouldn't be too hard for breeders to produce a less injurious type of teckel, like they were 60, 70 years ago?!

Mine throw themselves off dry stone walls and into rivers 

maybe pet dachshund have problems 

not working ones selected for gameness and hunting abilities 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, shaaark said:

but the only way to get a longer leg and shorter back would be to out cross them there would be no other way