Collie whippet greyhound

I'm thinking of breeding from my collie whippet greyhound I've got the option to put a Bedlington terrier over her or a whippet greyhound both studs are good workers I've tryed to weigh up the pros and cons of using both dogs and am still left scratching my head I mainly use the bitch for lamping small fields and a bit of early morning mooching and I would be looking to do the same with any pups I get so my question really is what cross would guys recommend

Just my opinion, but you seem to be looking at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Using a non-running dog, the Bedlington, will make the pups around half non- runner, nothing wrong with that, of course.

Using a grew will make the pups almost all running dog.

Depends entirely on what you want from the pups.

Have you considered a Beddy/grey stud as a compromise ? 

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Cheers.

• Like 2

Need some pace for small fields so go with something that will bring rather than detract pace. The grew might produce a variable litter size wise but all will have pace.

as an alternative I'd maybe look a bit wider afield for a 3/4 grey 1/4 beddy or a coursing type.

If it was me I’d add decent working  beddy greyhound to what you already got if you can find one it’s a game changer if the cross gels gives you options an little in the way of restrictions. adding straight beddy your more than likely slow them down an probably add turd in the mix now days as most straight beddy are talked up hole sniffing shit bags adding whippet x greyhound will speed them up but could add poor construction for work shit feet dogs that are fast but burn out fast  

On 05/12/2021 at 13:54, gnipper said:

If the bitch does what you want why not put a similarly bred dog over her? If she's lacking in something then put that something over her.

Yeah, that makes kinda sense..?

I've kept and bred all sorts of lurchers, and when you are working a jukel that ticks all the boxes( for the task in hand) it is often a puzzle where to go next?

Personally, if I was genuinely happy with a particular type,. then I would go looking,.. for a similar type..

Breeding running dog composites is an exciting and intriguing business,.. I think I've finally got certain matters sussed,.. unfortunately its all come a tad too late...

Enjoy your hunting lads and stay safe, regards, OldPhil.?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 6
7 hours ago, Jay w said:

I'm thinking of breeding from my collie whippet greyhound I've got the option to put a Bedlington terrier over her or a whippet greyhound both studs are good workers I've tryed to weigh up the pros and cons of using both dogs and am still left scratching my head I mainly use the bitch for lamping small fields and a bit of early morning mooching and I would be looking to do the same with any pups I get so my question really is what cross would guys recommend

Go for the whippet x greyhound over her differently wouldn't go pure bedlington not in less you could get greyhound x bedlington that would make better x but watt ever way u go good luck