Anyone brave enough?

35 minutes ago, jigsaw said:

My eldest lad had a hedgehog for 12 months,drove him mental,smelt like nothing else and came out at night and ran an exercise wheel for hours in the dark lol ....kept him awake a few times,he gave it to an animal center ,for their pets corner ....he was glad to see the back of it 

I never knew those things smelled, bet loads of people have bought them and ended up regretting it lol. 

I've kept mine in the house since I got my first ferrets in 1998.  I fed kibble at that time and they definitely had a noticeable odor.  Once I switched them to a raw/whole prey diet in 2005 (when I imported my first hybrids), there was much less odor...a bit in the ferret room but nothing in the rest of the house, even though they had several hours free roam daily.  In 2011, I was able to construct an outdoor pen with free access from the house and that reduced the odor in the ferret room even more.  Being able to play in the grass seemed to remove most of the odor even from a hob in rut.  Their scent glands have nothing to do with the odor, that's caused by the oil in their coats.  As well, the cages are cleaned daily and bedding is washed at least weekly.  I do wash the bedding of a hob in rut every 3-4 days.  

Edited by ferret lady
  • Like 2

I have a cage in my shed that is 7 meters by 12 meters with a cage in it and from time to time I have I bring in my ferrets and put them in it so the kids in the street can see them or due to bad weather and after a couple of hours yep by god they stink it out yep no way would I keep them in the house. I sold one young ferret kit to a lovely young lady a few years back and when she come over to see it she brought her pet ferret over to make sure it would get a long with it. She said to me it’s great to come home to here the ferret running up the hallway when I open the front door as I live by my self , with a ferret living in your house full time no wounder your single. 

• Haha 3