Anyone brave enough?

Do any of you keep ferrets indoors? I'm thinking about getting a couple or Jills and weighing up the options for whether to keep them inside or outside. I know that the smell get be an issue but I've heard that it's more so with Hobs than Jills? 

Our garden is communal and I'm not sure whether the neighbours would be alright with a hutch appearing in there lol. That said, they never use it anyways apart from occasionally in the summer to dry clothes.

A long time ago (2000 I think) when I got my first three ferrets, I hadn't built a court for them yet so housed them indoors temporarily. I kept them in a large dog crate and then let them out for a "run-around" whenever I was home. They'd return to the crate to use a corner pan which I put in there as their latrine. I'd sometimes find them curled up asleep under cushions on the sofa and other odd places. It's funny to look back on now but I wouldn't do it again...I was single at the time so nobody with more class than I to complain about the eau de ferret.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
6 hours ago, Neal said:

A long time ago (2000 I think) when I got my first three ferrets, I hadn't built a court for them yet so housed them indoors temporarily. I kept them in a large dog crate and then let them out for a "run-around" whenever I was home. They'd return to the crate to use a corner pan which I put in there as their latrine. I'd sometimes find them curled up asleep under cushions on the sofa and other odd places. It's funny to look back on now but I wouldn't do it again...I was single at the time so nobody with more class than I to complain about the eau de ferret.

If I didn't have the Mrs living with me I'd be doing the same without hesitation mate ?

Her only gripe with ferrets is the smell like 

• Haha 1

although I keep mine outside most pet owners keep them indoors so there's plenty of suitable kit available. bedding of material can be washed etc to keep smell down although I suspect there is an operation available to remove a scent glands ?. If you do that they'll benefit from an outdoor run, sadly they are not like typical pets and will be out through any weak spot in no time so you'll have to watch them, but they need some form of exercise and play if you work them. That said, a Danish friend keeps his indoors and walks them on leads to keep them foot so there are options. 

My mate I ferret with bought a Hob ferret was told both parents were fairly small, well it grew into something the size of an otter and no good to us. So he gave it to a girl that keeps ferrets as pets. She takes it for walks on a lead and lives inside the house with her and apparently works out fine.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1
3 hours ago, oblivious said:

Outside it is then I reckon! 

What size hutch should I be getting as a minimum for 2 ferrets? 

I got one like that thats great 

• Thanks 1

We have 4 Jill's in the house a few hrs everyday,all use a litter box and are very clean inside ,but they do leave a honk in the room their kept in.....the odd time there's 2 that have a scuttle about in the sitting room but only for half an hour.....but they sleep outside.....and that's where they'll stay

• Like 2
3 hours ago, jigsaw said:

We have 4 Jill's in the house a few hrs everyday,all use a litter box and are very clean inside ,but they do leave a honk in the room their kept in.....the odd time there's 2 that have a scuttle about in the sitting room but only for half an hour.....but they sleep outside.....and that's where they'll stay

We have ours in for an HR a day ....that's enough ?DSC_0773.JPG.b2980bea62c2a2520849327ada2d6cc5.JPG

• Haha 1

When I was a wee boy I kept my first 2 jills in a hutch in my room, Room was honking and when they got out for a run about they would shite under my bed… My old dear was going absolutely radge!! ??. Never again

• Haha 2
55 minutes ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Done it with some young ones till the frosts had gone. Was soon glad they were outside only thing worse than a ferret inside is a African Pygmy hedgehog.

My eldest lad had a hedgehog for 12 months,drove him mental,smelt like nothing else and came out at night and ran an exercise wheel for hours in the dark lol ....kept him awake a few times,he gave it to an animal center ,for their pets corner ....he was glad to see the back of it 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, jigsaw said:

My eldest lad had a hedgehog for 12 months,drove him mental,smelt like nothing else and came out at night and ran an exercise wheel for hours in the dark lol ....kept him awake a few times,he gave it to an animal center ,for their pets corner ....he was glad to see the back of it 

My ex  had several even bred a litter but like you say rarely saw them . They would stay hidden just showing a nose an come out about 2-3 am ?

she had a adult descented skunk that was less smelly ,less hassle and more entertaining .

• Haha 1