Book recommendations

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

nobody mentioned old phils books yet, in my opinion some of the best writtenand photographed by a man that has truly been there and done it for years,long before a lot of the lads on here were even bo

Yes me and me brothers laughed when me mother told us ,we thought it was a story keep us entertained on drive to old Jack's place ,far from a story though as on the big lawn going up to his house stoo

Old Phils books are superb B Dohertys books are very good. A underated book although it covers many topics is the great game by Harold Wyman.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Moocher71 said:

Yes but these spurs are razor sharp and come in all different sizes and types .

Yes mate. I just meant the action of using them probably doesn’t count as an animal using a tool. Eg like a chimpanzee using a length of stick to draw termites out of mounds, or a sea otter using two stones to crack shell fish open. 

4 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

Yes mate. I just meant the action of using them probably doesn’t count as an animal using a tool. Eg like a chimpanzee using a length of stick to draw termites out of mounds, or a sea otter using two stones to crack shell fish open. 

I don't think they no they got furnishings "spurs " fitted . And in no way is it like the above using tools to do a task . 

35 minutes ago, Moocher71 said:

I don't think they no they got furnishings "spurs " fitted . And in no way is it like the above using tools to do a task . 

Sorry I think we are crossing wires here.

I was saying the Spurs on a fighting cock don’t count as an animal using a tool as like you say they don’t know there are wearing them and are acting as normal.

I then gave two alternative examples of animals actually using tools. 

Thanks for replies guys, you’ve all educated me, the cock fighting isn’t really my thing, my favourite bird will always be the one thats been in the oven, back to topic, Frank Sheardown the working long dog and the lurcher training and handling real good reads, I’ve not read em for years but I will begin reading them tonight, thanks for reminding me fodr, atb

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Countryman62 said:

Think that book is To Olympus and back by Bob Bourne, it’s about Dave Sleight, Dave Platts, Dave Radford and Phil Smalley, it’s a good read, made me chuckle a bit, atb

its not one i've read if anyone has a copy i'd be interested.

I'm a great believer in a good book, they are a joy to behold and a joy to hold.

• Like 3
On 04/12/2021 at 17:53, Moocher71 said:

It's my delight by Brian vesey Fitzgerald a good read and a favourite of mine as he writes about my family and some of the lurchers they kept back then .

Just been looking through the 1978 copy of this book i have and theirs a cracking drawing by Pychford of a vardo with the residents and their lurcher.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

Just been looking through the 1978 copy of this book i have and theirs a cracking drawing by Pychford of a vardo with the residents and their lurcher.

It's a good book ,i like the hare hunting chapters and one about mooching 

It's not a lurcher book as you no but its a old gem that deserves a place on any field mans book shelf .

My copy is from 1940s and if its same picture its a vardo and two people sitting by a fire with two lurchers and a gri grazing , he wrote couple books about the old gypsy people 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, SheepChaser said:

Sorry I think we are crossing wires here.

I was saying the Spurs on a fighting cock don’t count as an animal using a tool as like you say they don’t know there are wearing them and are acting as normal.

I then gave two alternative examples of animals actually using tools. 

That's what I was saying ,birds not got a clue and it's just extension to its spurs and the chimp no exactly what it's using the rock for ,maybe it's way I worded it 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Countryman62 said:

Sorry for going off piste a bit but I was talking to a mate about game cocks the other day after reading an earlier post of yours moocher, what he showed me was astounding and shocking at the same time, game cocks going at it in a foreign land, they had little curved knife blades attached to the bottom of their legs and were using them to fight to the death, one cock decapitated it’s opponent but the head didn’t separate from the body until the defeated cocks body hit the ground highlighting how sharp those weapons were that were being used, the term bird brain don’t apply to them game cocks, they were armed with deadly weapons and knew how to use them, another example of animals using tools, atb

I have seen literally thousands of fights, never once seen or heard of a bird decapitated, seen them stuck together often enough, seen fights that lasted only a few seconds, but decapitation? 

Screenshot_20211205_191652.jpg

• Like 2

post-1930-1210974828_thumb.jpgpost-1930-1211309449_thumb.jpg

9 hours ago, Moocher71 said:

I don't think they no they got furnishings "spurs " fitted . 

The spurs are bound with tyings and tape, the odd one may peck at the bindings once or twice but most don't seem to notice.