Book recommendations

5 hours ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

Does anyone know if Harcombe plans to bring the last Terrierman Diaries out? He seemed to get so far with them and then stopped.

dont think he is in the best of health these days, he packed up doing ed\rd magazine a while back, heard nothing of him since, shame i  miss the magazine, just finished reading cadno book of his  written a few years ago, didnt find it too bad a story. 

• Like 2

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

nobody mentioned old phils books yet, in my opinion some of the best writtenand photographed by a man that has truly been there and done it for years,long before a lot of the lads on here were even bo

Yes me and me brothers laughed when me mother told us ,we thought it was a story keep us entertained on drive to old Jack's place ,far from a story though as on the big lawn going up to his house stoo

Old Phils books are superb B Dohertys books are very good. A underated book although it covers many topics is the great game by Harold Wyman.

Posted Images

18 hours ago, SINDASOX said:

Dave Sleight is one i used to like writing in EDRD, he was planning on doing a book.

Anyone know if this is still in the pipeline with him.

SINDASOX

Be a good read ,I no he and platts and another fella got a book out already but not read it ,think it's a mix of stories of what they got up to when together over the yrs 

1 hour ago, Moocher71 said:

Be a good read ,I no he and platts and another fella got a book out already but not read it ,think it's a mix of stories of what they got up to when together over the yrs 

Think that book is To Olympus and back by Bob Bourne, it’s about Dave Sleight, Dave Platts, Dave Radford and Phil Smalley, it’s a good read, made me chuckle a bit, atb

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Countryman62 said:

Think that book is To Olympus and back by Bob Bourne, it’s about Dave Sleight, Dave Platts, Dave Radford and Phil Smalley, it’s a good read, made me chuckle a bit, atb

Yes that's the one ,I might order it .they all characters, I remember when I was a young lad going to dave platts grandads place and I always remember me mother saying old Tom toon owned black beauty the horse out the films ,

• Haha 1
15 hours ago, Moocher71 said:

Yes that's the one ,I might order it .they all characters, I remember when I was a young lad going to dave platts grandads place and I always remember me mother saying old Tom toon owned black beauty the horse out the films ,

Yes me and me brothers laughed when me mother told us ,we thought it was a story keep us entertained on drive to old Jack's place ,far from a story though as on the big lawn going up to his house stood a large steel statue that the film company had given Jack for supling one of the horses that played the part of bueaty, I remember he had lurchers in runs and pens of game fowl ,I not bothered about juckels back then but was given a nice game cock ,Jack was daves great uncul and eline toon was his grandad .and they both horse dealers who supplied the pits  with pony's and the army with horses and also the travelling community with vanners ,toons was good friends with my grandfather who was also a horse dealer .

• Like 7

Sorry for going off piste a bit but I was talking to a mate about game cocks the other day after reading an earlier post of yours moocher, what he showed me was astounding and shocking at the same time, game cocks going at it in a foreign land, they had little curved knife blades attached to the bottom of their legs and were using them to fight to the death, one cock decapitated it’s opponent but the head didn’t separate from the body until the defeated cocks body hit the ground highlighting how sharp those weapons were that were being used, the term bird brain don’t apply to them game cocks, they were armed with deadly weapons and knew how to use them, another example of animals using tools, atb

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Countryman62 said:

Sorry for going off piste a bit but I was talking to a mate about game cocks the other day after reading an earlier post of yours moocher, what he showed me was astounding and shocking at the same time, game cocks going at it in a foreign land, they had little curved knife blades attached to the bottom of their legs and were using them to fight to the death, one cock decapitated it’s opponent but the head didn’t separate from the body until the defeated cocks body hit the ground highlighting how sharp those weapons were that were being used, the term bird brain don’t apply to them game cocks, they were armed with deadly weapons and knew how to use them, another example of animals using tools, atb

I’m not sure it counts as animals using tools ? Isn’t it just an extension of their natural spurs. 

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Countryman62 said:

Just using them like their natural spurs. Your normal chicken fights the same even if it's been de spurred 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Countryman62 said:

In Dixie gamecocks generally are heeled up with one of three types of blades.Gaff- which looks like a long needle.Short knife- as the name implies a short knife blade.These fights are shorter in duration than gaff.The third type is long knife.Long knife is over really quick and is based on gambling instead of gameness.

• Like 3
32 minutes ago, Countryman62 said:

Cock Fighting not my thing but just like those that keep staff bull and pit type dogs and like way they look when fit and in right condition it's same with game fowl , Fighting them a big thing in the states and Asia and most towns in UK had a cock pit yrs ago .the spurs are deadly bit of kit and these birds are bred to fight and very pugnacious but ones I've kept have been pets and wouldn't dream of Fighting them ,must be sole destroying to see a animal you put all that time into get ripped apart and I've always thought it's a bunch of shit cnuts that do it and same with pit dogs.

• Like 2