Book recommendations

I've used the search function and got a few ideas already, but I thought I'd ask what books on Lurchers/Running Dogs you lot would recommend to someone just coming into the game? It looks like there hasn't been a thread on this for a fair while. My pup won't be ready to start working until next winter and I'm partial to a good fieldsports book so I'd like some recommendations of what to read around this subject in the meantime. 

I've got Jackie Drakeford's 'Understanding the Working Lurcher' and 'The House Lurcher' and have gained lot's of useful knowledge from reading through those. Both of those books are quite practical in terms of what's covered. I'd like to read some of the 'tales from the field' type stuff now. 

Cheers ?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

nobody mentioned old phils books yet, in my opinion some of the best writtenand photographed by a man that has truly been there and done it for years,long before a lot of the lads on here were even bo

Yes me and me brothers laughed when me mother told us ,we thought it was a story keep us entertained on drive to old Jack's place ,far from a story though as on the big lawn going up to his house stoo

Old Phils books are superb B Dohertys books are very good. A underated book although it covers many topics is the great game by Harold Wyman.

Posted Images

maybe read some of plummmers books, but have a goood handful of salt,and not just a pinch,whilst reading them,but like most lurchermen  just starting out years ago,they were all that there was at the time.but a lot of jackanory stories written by him.

• Thanks 1

In all honesty I’ve found most Lurcher training books a bit pointless.

I would ask on here, and buy skycats book as a ref for any injury or health problems and a couple of darcy books so you can look at the photos and get inspired ? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No that’s the other one - this one was a limited run came out in 2013 by a guy called JP finnan or finnian it was a great book I had a signed copy a f someone nicked it. It’s out of print now and I’d be willing to give someone a good price for one for my collection! 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, SheepChaser said:

In all honesty I’ve found most Lurcher training books a bit pointless.

I would ask on here, and buy skycats book as a ref for any injury or health problems and a couple of darcy books so you can look at the photos and get inspired ? 

I should have phrased my post a bit better I think. I'm more looking for books that tell stories about people's experiences with Lurchers rather than training books.

'Running Dog Maintenance' is definitely on my list for the injury care/prevention. I'll be getting 'Tales From the Field too' ?

Cheers 

Edited by oblivious

All of the Darcy books are decent - but particularly scooby, now that’s what I call Lurcher work 1/2/3 etc. Running dog addiction. Of deer and dogs.

Also Simon faircloigh - the Lurcher in field, fen, forest and scrub.

various others that will come to me I’m sure ! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

While we are talking about books - if anyone has anything they want to sell, especially anything interesting / limited / signed then drop me a message. I’m a bit sad and have a bit of a collection.

??? what about the op you muscling in book buying swine 

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, oblivious said:

I've used the search function and got a few ideas already, but I thought I'd ask what books on Lurchers/Running Dogs you lot would recommend to someone just coming into the game? It looks like there hasn't been a thread on this for a fair while. My pup won't be ready to start working until next winter and I'm partial to a good fieldsports book so I'd like some recommendations of what to read around this subject in the meantime. 

I've got Jackie Drakeford's 'Understanding the Working Lurcher' and 'The House Lurcher' and have gained lot's of useful knowledge from reading through those. Both of those books are quite practical in terms of what's covered. I'd like to read some of the 'tales from the field' type stuff now. 

Cheers ?

Send me a pm mate

• Like 1