13 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

When my old lurcher goes' instead of getting another i might be tempted to get something like a lab x springer or if a litter came up a springer x whippet.

I am thinking along same lines. I think be a handy mooching catty mutt. Would probably be like a needle in a haystack to find ideal litter tho. And with inflated comical dog prices at the moment 

• Like 1

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys, these are my mooching dogs. A 3/4 border collie x 1/4 kelpie and a 3/4 kelpie x 1/4 border collie. What are you guys mooching with? Thanks

little beddywhippet, does rat, rabbit, squirrel, pheasant and pigeons. 

Noggin, Ned and Maud...

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Leo Sayer said:

I am thinking along same lines. I think be a handy mooching catty mutt. Would probably be like a needle in a haystack to find ideal litter tho. And with inflated comical dog prices at the moment 

I know another decent size lurcher is off the cards for me mooching about near were i live rabbits are very scarce but roe deer seem to be popping up in some unlikely places and i couldn't do with the aggro if a lurcher nailed one in the day in places were the public can walk.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, tatsblisters said:

I know another decent size lurcher is off the cards for me mooching about near were i live rabbits are very scarce but roe deer seem to be popping up in some unlikely places and i couldn't do with the aggro if a lurcher nailed one in the day in places were the public can walk.

same around here mate. not many rabbits but roe numbers have exploded. we never saw deer as kids now they are everywhere. just as I have broke the beddywhippet to them the young whippet is fxxcker for them. 

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, fred90 said:

same around here mate. not many rabbits but roe numbers have exploded. we never saw deer as kids now they are everywhere. just as I have broke the beddywhippet to them the young whippet is fxxcker for them. 

Same round here too

26 minutes ago, fred90 said:

It's unbelievable around here how the roe deer are frequently seen when the only odd deer you would see years ago would be a red deer that had escaped from the park on the Wentworth estate .

• Like 1

My part of Hampshire is alive with roe and near Andover many many fallow. 10 year ago never see a muntjac here, now absolutely everywhere.  My old dog I lost at Christmas was mad for them and had to keep him on leash at daytime in some places as too many people about.  The 2 dogs I have now I try to discourage from chasing them, but easier said than done . As for mooching with the catty I just use my whippet/ italian greyhound x and am trying to train a 5 month Bedlington lurcher ( little at a time !) to the crack 

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, Bird Catcher said:

My part of Hampshire is alive with roe and near Andover many many fallow. 10 year ago never see a muntjac here, now absolutely everywhere.  My old dog I lost at Christmas was mad for them and had to keep him on leash at daytime in some places as too many people about.  The 2 dogs I have now I try to discourage from chasing them, but easier said than done . As for mooching with the catty I just use my whippet/ italian greyhound x and am trying to train a 5 month Bedlington lurcher ( little at a time !) to the crack 

find the little beddy crosses ideal for the catty. 

Screenshot_20210314_113221_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Screenshot_20210314_113152_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

• Like 5

Lots of roe near me too. Even some in the grounds of my daughter's school which borders my local wood. Fortunately, as there are so many of them, I get to break the kelpies to them as early as possible...but Maud still thinks that if I haven't actually said, "No!" then it's similar to saying, "yes."? She'll get there.

• Like 1

I always break my dogs to livestock from the minute they can go out as we has lots of sheep , cows and buffalo around here. Always get there with them, but to stop them chasing deer seems near impossible.  My blue dog is only 17in at the shoulder and is like lightening but luckily he is too small and doesn't know what to do with them but my fear is the f**kers always seem to head for a road !!

That little dog will retrieve from the catty and even from the air rifle. Scared of the shotgun mind, and he 1/2 plucks a pigeon before you gets it off him ! 

• Like 1

Muntjac are the bane of my life and I have to keep my hounds on leads more than if like. My Collie lurcher can air scent them and has developed a rush in tactic that puts them out of cover every time. It's remarkable as he is nesh with cover, wont ever risk cutting himself and in reality they would be safe if they stayed put. Three serious problems beyond legality, first this is typically on the edge of housing, second they make a lot of noise when overhauled and third the stags are a serious threat to dogs. 

• Like 1

My wife told me yesterday that a preschool in Southsea in Portsmouth regularly get muntjac in their grounds. Apparently they've been swimming over the Solent. Not sure how much truth there is in that...I know they can swim but that's some distance.?

I reckon the spread of Muntjac was helped by motor way embankments and Railway embankments though to my knowledge i have not heard of any near me being seen whether that's down to the southbound M1 curtailing their movement when it comes to Meadowhall as i would think their movement will be mostly through cover unlike the Roe deer were last year a trio was seen and photographed in Rotherham town.

5 hours ago, tatsblisters said:

I reckon the spread of Muntjac was helped by motor way embankments and Railway embankments though to my knowledge i have not heard of any near me being seen whether that's down to the southbound M1 curtailing their movement when it comes to Meadowhall as i would think their movement will be mostly through cover unlike the Roe deer were last year a trio was seen and photographed in Rotherham town.

That and Ifor Williams trailers ??

• Haha 2
On 04/06/2022 at 16:00, OldPhil said:

Roe deer and Muntjac are a blessed nuisance.

I wish someone would thin the feckers right out...?

Someone is and it’s helping them spread and survive as well ??

8FD7E884-0F09-4D0B-9DAD-7071E5DFD3EB.jpeg

D261F941-C6E0-451E-BD9E-F3001A8758BE.jpeg

• Like 1