• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys, these are my mooching dogs. A 3/4 border collie x 1/4 kelpie and a 3/4 kelpie x 1/4 border collie. What are you guys mooching with? Thanks

little beddywhippet, does rat, rabbit, squirrel, pheasant and pigeons. 

Noggin, Ned and Maud...

Posted Images

My 3 

Old white brindle dog 14 now and he been a good honest grafter and give anything a go but sadly to old for anything other than a good walk and getting spoilt like old hero's should .

Small black bitch as one fault ,she's not 23 tts , she brings a lot to the team and she's a joy to watch work ,she put a lot of gun dogs to shame .

Ruff coated bitch doing well and making a good mooching dog 

20210830_104408.jpg

20211010_111435.jpg

20211106_132200.jpg

20211205_111009.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 02/12/2021 at 12:56, Neal said:

Phil, somehow I think your "aint up to much" is probably a lot more than most other people manage.?

Fitzwilliam, mine are similar to yours but mine are 3/4 kelpie 1/4 kelpie.?

I currently have three, a seven year old male, three year old male and a fifteen week old pup. However, I'm seriously considering rehoming the middle one as we simply don't get on. It's a bit like when someone splits up with someone and says, "it's not you; it's me."? Several people have told me they think it's middle child syndrome...but he's always been like it. He's lovely but he simply drives me (and the rest of the family) up the bloody wall. Bless him.

Neal...hows the middle one differ in temperament? 

• Like 1
On 02/12/2021 at 11:40, Fitzwilliam said:

Hi guys, these are my mooching dogs. A 3/4 border collie x 1/4 kelpie and a 3/4 kelpie x 1/4 border collie. What are you guys mooching with? Thanks

9ED09FE2-BFB1-48B3-AF2A-297BA2F18356.jpeg

How do they differ from each other with one been kelpie dominant and the other border dominant?

On 04/04/2022 at 10:46, Shortstraw said:

Neal...hows the middle one differ in temperament? 

I'm afraid he's no longer with me. I re-homed him to a gentleman in the middle of the Goodwood Estate. As I said, he was a lovely, happy dog, but he simply drove me up the wall. Never seemed to switch off as much as my other kelpies. It was almost as though, after years of me saying to people, "No, you're wrong; kelpies aren't all like that," I was finally saying, "Oh, so this is what other people's kelpies are like." He was more of a spaniel than a labrador if that makes sense.

I miss him, as he had so much character (similar to Rusty in a lot of ways) but my life and the household is a lot more chilled without him here. The pup was loosing out on sleep as he was constantly saying, "Come on, wake up, let's play!" If they were human, Noggin would be a buddhist or Gandhi or Bob Marley, whereas Ned was like Mr Tumble from CBeebies. I found him to be the kind of dog you love to meet (he was the firm favourite with everybody we met) but wouldn't want to live with. Bless him. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Neal said:

I'm afraid he's no longer with me. I re-homed him to a gentleman in the middle of the Goodwood Estate. As I said, he was a lovely, happy dog, but he simply drove me up the wall. Never seemed to switch off as much as my other kelpies. It was almost as though, after years of me saying to people, "No, you're wrong; kelpies aren't all like that," I was finally saying, "Oh, so this is what other people's kelpies are like." He was more of a spaniel than a labrador if that makes sense.

I miss him, as he had so much character (similar to Rusty in a lot of ways) but my life and the household is a lot more chilled without him here. The pup was loosing out on sleep as he was constantly saying, "Come on, wake up, let's play!" If they were human, Noggin would be a buddhist or Gandhi or Bob Marley, whereas Ned was like Mr Tumble from CBeebies. I found him to be the kind of dog you love to meet (he was the firm favourite with everybody we met) but wouldn't want to live with. Bless him. 

Sorry to here that Neal, that must have been a hard decision to make.

2 hours ago, Shortstraw said:

Sorry to here that Neal, that must have been a hard decision to make.

It was. My wife had been telling me for about a year that we should consider it, but I kept arrogantly plugging away at it assuming he'd calm down and mellow like all my others. Then, sometime after Christmas, I noticed that he was seeming "not his usual happy self" and decided he might be better off with someone else. Ironically, his new owner, who has previous experience of kelpies from regularly looking after a friend's bitch, thinks Ned is very calm and easy going. Maybe there was just too much going on in my home for him to settle, or maybe I'm too chilled out to accept a "bouncy" dog. Either way, he seems a lot happier where he is in.?

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Bit of a update on my bitch now 7 1/2 months she's a touch on the small side standing at 21tts hopefully gona gain a bit more but she's doing well. Recalls good retrieving well and retrieved her first bunny today. Done well as it was over a stream and not done much near water.

20220417_164638.jpg

• Like 8
2 hours ago, Troutslayer said:

Bit of a update on my bitch now 7 1/2 months she's a touch on the small side standing at 21tts hopefully gona gain a bit more but she's doing well. Recalls good retrieving well and retrieved her first bunny today. Done well as it was over a stream and not done much near water.

20220417_164638.jpg

cracking little dog ?

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Troutslayer said:

20220417_164638.jpg

Well done fellah,...onwards and upwards..?

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

As for catty dog, just let my old lurcher tag along. But I think an ideal catty dog would  wait at heel while you take a shot and not chase and spook stuff and retrieve out of heavy cover and off water. I would think  some cross bred maybe gundog cross terrier perhaps . Especially for doing roosting birds, a very steady obedient dog and not one that will not piss off chasing the deer ect. 

6 minutes ago, Leo Sayer said:

As for catty dog, just let my old lurcher tag along. But I think an ideal catty dog would  wait at heel while you take a shot and not chase and spook stuff and retrieve out of heavy cover and off water. I would think  some cross bred maybe gundog cross terrier perhaps . Especially for doing roosting birds, a very steady obedient dog and not one that will not piss off chasing the deer ect. 

My eldest kelpie quickly learnt, from me doing target practice initially and sending him back behind me, that whenever I got my catapult out of my pocket he should come round to just behind me and lie down.

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, Leo Sayer said:

When my old lurcher goes' instead of getting another i might be tempted to get something like a lab x springer or if a litter came up a springer x whippet.

• Like 2