stud dog age

just a question, but at what age would you guys reckon a dog is past his best to line bitches, iknow that if the dog has produced good stock, you get get straws from him to use at a later date,ie when stud has passed on or is very old, would a dog of 10 or 11 yrs old still be up to the job,just asking.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happens alot round here

Had a dog sire a litter at 13. Saluki cross. Some quality pups too. Made his old legs shake a bit??

Give him a wank first so its all new stuff in the pipe ?  Cheers, D.

4 hours ago, jake824 said:

A mate of mine sent me a terrier down and sent a bitch down to be mated to him. The dogs 10 and put her in pup. A vet said to me once if the dog has been used regularly he should still throw pups to an old age 

That's true,  a stud dog keeps producing a enough sperms, to catch the eggs in the bitch. It when the male not used for stud, and as they get older produce less sperms, I was told its always a gamble if you use a older dog, that's not gone to many bitches, they might or might not get the bitch pregnant? 

Scouser, the coursing dog, was well over 10 years, when he lined the bitch to produce my dog.

His owner said it'd probably be his last full lining, as he just wasn't interested any more. Not sure if he ever did manage to give it another 'go'.

As long as the dog is both worthy and capable it really shouldn't matter how old they are...

3 hours ago, Tyla said:

I used my dog across my bitch when he was 11 or 12, he'd never been across a bitch before and produced 8 good pups. I tried to repeat the mating a year later and they tied well but she never 

At least you got a litter out of him 

• Like 2