Interesting reading .

I think its a small part of lots of things, contributing to the numbers falling, buzzard and predator numbers up, thermal and nv rifles, hedgerows becoming fenced, newbuild plots popping up, more traffic on the roads, diseases mutating etc.. 

• Like 7

10 hours ago, wyluke said:

I think its a small part of lots of things, contributing to the numbers falling, buzzard and predator numbers up, thermal and nv rifles, hedgerows becoming fenced, newbuild plots popping up, more traffic on the roads, diseases mutating etc.. 

I totally agree ,humans have impacted on habitat, also the growing of thick wet green crops causes young rabbits to become wet and that can lead to colics which kills off any that develops this condition .   

1 hour ago, toolebox said:

I totally agree ,humans have impacted on habitat, also the growing of thick wet green crops causes young rabbits to become wet and that can lead to colics which kills off any that develops this condition .   

Like what crops 

2 hours ago, Black neck said:

Like what crops 

Green grass crop for making hay or baleage ,any green crop in the early stage of growth ,wheat ,barley etc ,winter crops also hold a lot of water ,rabbits love to hide in these places during the winter & early spring and to get them to break out is near impossible .The one thing I've noticed is how wet and cold the dogs are when they return from the bounce up to look deal , if they make contact with a rabbit ,at times if the dogs get some heat on bunny will pop out .The other thing I've noticed is I normally  don't find many if any runners yet there has been several nest holes dug, our rabbits breed all year round .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 01/12/2021 at 14:14, toolebox said:

Rabbits are in a lot of trouble,” said Pip Mountjoy, Shifting Sands project manager at Natural England. “They are actually an endangered species in their native region on the Iberian peninsula. It’s surprising for people that rabbits are important in some ecosystems

They have become part of the eco system here as well, same as foxes and even feral dogs and dingoes. I have a mate who's a pro dog trapper and he spends a lot of time trying to educating farmers on the importance of having some foxes, dogs and rabbits on the place. It's a hard sell but Oz is a different place now and these ferals are a natural part of it. They wipe out rabbits then god help the lambs.

• Like 1
On 03/12/2021 at 15:40, Samrog said:

does anybody think buzzard numbers are not helping? I dont think ive seen so many buzzards and surely a pair could take a few rabbit a day?

was talking to a keeper about rabbit numbers and buzzards  and he was saying that buzzards cant hold a adult rabbit due to them having small feet if you have ever seen a buzzard up close their feet are tiny compared to their body size so i dont know if thats true they will be able to hold young rabbits but he was saying that they mostly eat carrion and rabbits that have been run over on the roads bugs and beetles and stuff 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, pengelli said:

was talking to a keeper about rabbit numbers and buzzards  and he was saying that buzzards cant hold a adult rabbit due to them having small feet if you have ever seen a buzzard up close their feet are tiny compared to their body size so i dont know if thats true they will be able to hold young rabbits but he was saying that they mostly eat carrion and rabbits that have been run over on the roads bugs and beetles and stuff 

Seen 1 have 2 let a rabbit go big female aswell, the cane younguns tho and pheasant poults 2 feck

rabbits were bought to Australia in small lots they blumed to become an eccological night mare in their millions to the point Australians have been at war with rabbits ever since. The point given favourable conditions they have remarkable ability to bounce back from just about anything.  Be it viral or hunting pressure. 

Edited by stevemac
  • Like 2