freezing out but a nice shoot anyway

with all sorts of stuff going on at my local range i have not shot outside for sometime.so yesterday at about 2pm i got there and had the range to myself.outside thermometer said 1 degree but i had 5 layers on so it was ok.first gun out was the tippman semi auto .22lr at only 20yards but i put 100 rounds through it in about 2 min.2" group was the result.next was the .22 magnum sako at 25 yards 2" group was the result,not bad as i was shooting quickly due to the conditions and the setting sun.last out was the .357 henry lever action at 25y.had some factory ammo left over so it was nice to make some noise for once.first shot caught me out though and went about an inch high.the rest went into a nice 2" group after.last five cards were shot with only  10 on each to score properly for an average.1st card 98 scored,2nd 94,third 98,4th 98 and last card was a 98 too.so happy days with an average of 97.2.nice way to waste 2hours.

only 20y for the semi as it was rapid fire.only 25 yards for the .22magnum as i was shooting quickly too.the .357 magnum competition is at 25y so best to practice at  that range.the actual range i shoot on is only 50m max.due to restrictions on the range and where it is relative to paths and such it has been reduced from 1000m i think it was before the m5 was put in.also could not be bothered to get freezing cold feet walking the extra 25m that is available.will be shooting the .22mag and the .357mag at 200m again next year when i go to  the other range in wales next year when it warms up.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

so i was lucky enough to get the range to myself today and had another go at gallery rifle at 25yards.first card went well with 9 tens then i fluffed it and shot an 8 so 98 scored.a bit upset with myself that i messed up on the last shot.2nd card went really well and i got 100 happy days.3rd card went just aswell with another 100.4th card i hit 100 again.5th card was a 99 with the first shot hitting a nine.last card and my left arm was getting tired and i hit a 97 which is still quite good but it was time to stop.worked out the average over 6 cards and it was 99.just hope this translates into just as good scores when i start the hendon league comp.this is the highest average i have ever put in for one shoot ever so very happy.the shot cards are now hanging on the wall in the clubhouse.we have a little section where we put up our best.just wondering at what age shooters peak for this type of shooting ie anything like lsr or gallery rifle ?

• Like 2

For pistol shooting you can reach your peak at ~35y (or older) but you can stay close to the top shooters to about 70y. Biathlon shooter who also need to ski are usually at their peak at 28-33y age, the german biathlon athlete Simon Eder are 40y and still competitive.