What is everyone doing about this? 

I suddenly have a couple of days to house a flock of 100 supposedly free range pasture fed birds. Its bloody ridiculous.

I'm going to have to cull a load of birds I don't want to and spend a fortune on housing whats left. 

It basically means any money they might have made will be gone and makes small scale poultry farming unviable.

Lots of people will ignore it but the fine is unlimited and it potentially carries 6 months in jail. No doubt that would be a pretty extreme case but even a couple grand fine would be sore enough.

If I didn't like the birds so much and have spend the whole summer breeding new layers I'd kill the lot and be done.

15 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Sort out a smaller area an stick a net over top pal, there’s no way they can enforce it, unless your proper takin the piss

Its a fair size pen I'll need for 100 birds. My missus has offered to let me use a couple of field shelters on the stable yard so I'm going to squeeze what I can in there and cull what I cant. Its just a piss take, I'd rather take my chances with bird flu than run a battery unit, kind of defeats the purpose of what I'm doing there. They live on an electric fenced acre of scrub, don't get locked up at night, some even live in the trees and only come in to lay. Its a proper good life they live and the eggs and meat taste all the better for it. If I wasn't registered and so liable for spot checks I'd ignore it but I don't fancy the fine. If they wild birds have it then looking hens up isn't going to achieve anything is it?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1