Training a Saluki x Greyhound pup

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This lad is saluki saturated,and the most biddable dog ever,until he's on the chase then it's futile calling him lol...I've had a few saluki X ,and the only one that busted my balls is the pure bred I

youll be lucky to get good recall when its 12 years old , never mind 12 weeks  , its got sal in it  , selective hearing is in there dna ....

In my experience if you treat them well and fairly, and spend lots of time with them, they'll do as you say. Probably test you a bit, and you need  to pass lol. Some aren't very trainable though.

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, dytkos said:

Fair play mate, wish it was that easy for us mere mortals ? 

Cheers, D.

25 minutes ago, dytkos said:

Cheers, D.

25 minutes ago, dytkos said:

Cheers, D.

You typed that in a cathederal, didn't you?  ?

• Haha 1

When breaking to stock I keep pup on the lead and walk a field with sheep fence in-between us and the sheep and keep him on lead and if he pulls towards sheep I pull him back with a sharp "no " and after few times they normally stop pulling and then walk him through field with sheep in saying same command if he pulls towards them and this as always worked for me, 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Moocher71 said:

When breaking to stock I keep pup on the lead and walk a field with sheep fence in-between us and the sheep and keep him on lead and if he pulls towards sheep I pull him back with a sharp "no " and after few times they normally stop pulling and then walk him through field with sheep in saying same command if he pulls towards them and this as always worked for me, 

Thanks mate, good advice this. I'll be stock breaking him ASAP. Also need to get him broken to ferrets (which I know is a different thing entirely). 

9 hours ago, oblivious said:

Thanks mate, good advice this. I'll be stock breaking him ASAP. Also need to get him broken to ferrets (which I know is a different thing entirely). 

Broken them to ferrets isn't hard ,have the pup with you why you feed and clean them out and put the hutches "court " in a place pup the  to walk by when ever in garden .if the pup growls at them when your feeding etc a "no " and if pup get a nip for being to nosey he soon learn to respect them ,I've never had a pup turn into a ferret killer but the opposite ,they become mates and dog soon click on when ferrets go in carry box it's work time .

My advise to you is enjoy your pup and make all training a game and once pup gets bored stop .lots of the stuff you want your pup to be doing will come naturally just by being with you .

Mooch 

• Thanks 1