First whippet

2 hours ago, fred90 said:

I know a lot rate them above whippet lurchers. the bitch I have is a excellent finding, marking, mooching dog, but lacks a few yards. I have bought her to work with her, plus having not lamped for nearly 30 years, I quite fancy a shine with her. 

My first ever dog was a whippet, bought off a lady who was well known in the show ring, she got reserve best at crufts, the highest place  a whippet had ever done back then. I didn’t get him to work, I was just a lad, but he naturally hunted rabbits and I never looked back. He was more stocky and deep chested compared to a lot you see now. I was out all hours with him lamping ferreting and generally just slipping him on any rabbits I saw .....he only ever got one skin tear, he must have had quite good skin compared to my whippet lurcher because her skin Is like tissue paper. He was also could stand the cold weather really well especially again compared to my bed/whip x collie/grey/whip. He was a hard little dog that was a great hunter, I’m surprised he turned out as good as he did...given my lack of knowledge at the time. I’m sure you’ll have plenty of fun times ahead.

Edited by Shortstraw
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, green lurchers said:

That your way of saying  you’ll end up with a whippet when your bit older and wiser ?

Actually I will be looking at getting a lab when I slow down. Something nice and steady that I can have a mooch about with the gun with. 

47 minutes ago, jake824 said:

How did you rate the beddy whippets ? 

I like beddywhippets and will always have one. to me they are great bushing, marking, finding, mooching dogs. I have always had half crosses and they are certainly not a running dog. but for ferreting, or rat, rabbit, squirrel, pheasant etc they will always put something in the bag. 

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Pups looking good bud ,my first dog was a brindle /white whippet dog me uncul bred and gave me as 10th birthday present ,walked miles with him and took me first rabbit and pheasants with him ,I've had two over the yrs and couple xs and they definitely one of the best rabbit dogs and more if given the chance ,atb mooch 

• Like 1