Buildery Types?

I know damp and ventilation is virtually a trade unto itself. There being so many variables. I'm just looking for some ball park pointers, please.

A/ I have a small work room. Family motor would about fit the footprint. It has a small fireplace, which I boarded up, then put an air vent in. I also put air vents in the ceiling, above the window. Allowing air from the roof space. Seems to work.

B/ I have two other rooms. Adjoining. It's a bit dampy in there. But, I'm aware there's only the small fireplace (Boarded and vented) in there.

Question is: Would air vents, top and bottom of the main door help? Or / And should I do the ceiling trick in there too? That seems to let some Serious fukking air in there. Possibly even more so than the chimney.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok Fukc off the commission is mine. 

Ours is an Air sanitizer mate, it kills the spores in the air and will fall on surfaces and continue to "clean". Socks has had good success with it for this purpose, and we have had others report

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

I know damp and ventilation is virtually a trade unto itself. There being so many variables. I'm just looking for some ball park pointers, please.

A/ I have a small work room. Family motor would about fit the footprint. It has a small fireplace, which I boarded up, then put an air vent in. I also put air vents in the ceiling, above the window. Allowing air from the roof space. Seems to work.

B/ I have two other rooms. Adjoining. It's a bit dampy in there. But, I'm aware there's only the small fireplace (Boarded and vented) in there.

Question is: Would air vents, top and bottom of the main door help? Or / And should I do the ceiling trick in there too? That seems to let some Serious fukking air in there. Possibly even more so than the chimney.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

How old is your place ?

One end of my house is a 100 odd years and built of stone directly on the earth, that will suck water all winter no matter what I do.

If I warm the rooms, it sucks water….end of story.

Fair point, Wilf. I'd honestly forgotten to point out that; Yes, as it happens, one of the rooms is indeed concrete over earth! Doubt there's even any plastic. Pretty sure there's not.

Hang about though! This whole fukking place is like that! Only, it's all 'old' concrete. That particular room was done 'much later' and is visibly of the sort of 'crete we see today. Would that make any difference? ?

I've just got a bit of a hard on for ventilation, to be honest. I've vented two rooms now, and it seems to make an appreciable difference.

That's about my own line of reasoning, Salt. It certainly Does seem to be making a hell of a difference.

What actually prompted all this is that; I'd built in a thing, with the 'ceiling vents', where I could remove that whole slab of ceiling, at will.

I'd figured out crap would settle on top of the flat laying vents, inside, and soon block them. And that, sure enough, happened.

Last night, I slid the board out and five gallons of crap fell down! I've spent half the afternoon clearing that up! And, yes; I'd noticed That room slyly getting back to damp!

I've seen some nice, decorative / brass air vents. I'm planning to paint all these doors. Might as well do a proper job :)

2 minutes ago, South hams hunter said:

You can also get damp proof paint Ken, that works 

Not so much paint I'm bothered about, in truth, Hams. These rooms are strictly utilitarian. What they look like isn't an issue.

And, if the paint's for holding damp at bay? Good god! I'd need a tanker full!

No, I really do think 'standing air' is the culprit. Shit gets like light mildew on it in there. Wood especially. No good where stuff gets left for years.

• Like 1

DeHumidifier's a non starter, mate. Electric bills have people standing in the streets at night. Watching in awe and wonder as they skyrocket up!

I'd sooner invest in candles :(

Ken; I was wondering, just the other night, who it was made that air purifier! But, that's what it is, mate. It takes 'germs' out of the air. Not damp. (Hope I have that about right, in laymans terms, NK?)

Good air vents, top and bottom of the doors, seems to get things sorted. I'll try that first, anyway.

:icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek: Well, lads, I think we have a clear fukking winner! If Only I'd taken 'Before' shots! But, I put this hardboard in my work room at the start of the month.

In pretty short order, I was mortified to see that turquoise based mould with the piles of white, fluffy shit growing high out of it.

Few days ago, I unblocked the ventilation in there. Now look!!!

P1010005.JPG.cb78b518416332aad6c55ae7106f9c0d.JPG

Once green and verdant mould culture, practically over night has taken a bigger beating than Maggie Thatchers Boys!!! It's dying off, turning brown  and shrivelling up before my eyes! :icon_eek:

Some Powerful fukking illustration, eh?!

It's like how the carbon monoxide alarm no longer triggers in this room now. Not since I put simple ventilation holes top and bottom of the door.

Ventilation. Ventilation. Ventilation!

:yes:

6 hours ago, socks said:

Speak to Newkid on here about his product ???

3 hours ago, Ken's Deputy said:

DeHumidifier's a non starter, mate. Electric bills have people standing in the streets at night. Watching in awe and wonder as they skyrocket up!

I'd sooner invest in candles :(

Ken; I was wondering, just the other night, who it was made that air purifier! But, that's what it is, mate. It takes 'germs' out of the air. Not damp. (Hope I have that about right, in laymans terms, NK?)

Good air vents, top and bottom of the doors, seems to get things sorted. I'll try that first, anyway.

Ours is an Air sanitizer mate, it kills the spores in the air and will fall on surfaces and continue to "clean".

Socks has had good success with it for this purpose, and we have had others report the same. We never designed it for this reason and certainly would not claim it is a de humidfier, it certainly isn't.

Ventilation is always best, but these little boxes can help as well.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Qbgrey said:

Is the ground outside built up against the wall above the inside floor level?? I believe you can buy passivise vents or something like that that vent but don’t let cold air so your not freezing your tits off

If ditches house is anything like mine you've got a job to Try get them installed in a solid stone wall that's 2ft thick ?.. 

2 hours ago, NEWKID said:

Ours is an Air sanitizer mate, it kills the spores in the air and will fall on surfaces and continue to "clean".

Socks has had good success with it for this purpose, and we have had others report the same. We never designed it for this reason and certainly would not claim it is a de humidfier, it certainly isn't.

Ventilation is always best, but these little boxes can help as well.

Send me a link to a bit more info on that machine please mate ?

• Like 1