Too much of nothing?

2 hours ago, Allan P said:

If shes not interested in tennis balls maybe try her with a flirt pole. Nothing to much just a few minutes to start with. I've had pups before not really interested in balls but go wild for flirt pole. I think it helps them with striking and also good for helping with retrieve. Have fun with her and try not to get frustrated which isn't easy sometimes. It will all work out in the end.

Your second person to mention flirt pole so I'm gonna have to look into this as tbh, no idea what that is ?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No pressure me owd bod ,chill out 10 month is young  , give her a break and try again  ,she be fine 

I remember being in the same position a lot of years ago. 12 month old bitch, one or two runs on the local fields most nights on rabbits that were more clued up than me with the lamping game. Then a o

Give her a month break don’t exercise her to much just keep her at her normal running weight take her out for very short walk on lead everyday just to empty, being rested for a good while can fire the

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, scottpenn28 said:

Your second person to mention flirt pole so I'm gonna have to look into this as tbh, no idea what that is ?

Its basically a pole with a rope tied to it with some short of dummy tied to the loose end of the rope.  Then basically move the pole about so the dummy is moving on the floor with the dog chasing it. You will need to set the ground rules first, like leave on command sit/stay etc which can be worked into the session. If you decide to do it don't go to hard to start with need to build up slowly its a good workout for them also. Have a look on Youtube for some ideas.  I quite enjoy doing things like this with my sapling also do tug training with her all good for bonding and engagement. One day I might even get out and do some hunting with her.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Havelightforcewilltravel said:

She will go when she ready don’t rush her,been many good dog spoilt been started to young.Try get her out and about with few other dogs unsportsmanlike as it is few team kills is good for pups.This pup out Brads litter.

Yeah is out of brads, she's a cracking pup! And the biggest thing for me is, like you say, trying not to spoil her whilst also getting her going, brads invited me out but last time pup had just bashed her leg, so now waiting for.another opportunity to get her out with someone and some dogs who know the score, but until then she will be given a break and just continue the games with her 

21 minutes ago, scottpenn28 said:

Yeah is out of brads, she's a cracking pup! And the biggest thing for me is, like you say, trying not to spoil her whilst also getting her going, brads invited me out but last time pup had just bashed her leg, so now waiting for.another opportunity to get her out with someone and some dogs who know the score, but until then she will be given a break and just continue the games with her 

Do you take her out with spaniel s much?

13 minutes ago, scottpenn28 said:

Yeah she's out with my spaniel almost everyday, then they both have solo time either in garden or out again

13 minutes ago, scottpenn28 said:

Yeah she's out with my spaniel almost everyday, then they both have solo time either in garden or out again

Just thought but if spaniel s trained to gun they obviously don’t chase or grab stuff maybe pup thinks that’s what she thinks you expect of her.

All dogs are different. I’ve got an 8 month old and a 15 month old at the moment. The younger one is sharper. The older one obviously runs better but the younger one was just born more predator like. My mate has a pup out of the big dog I lost recently and it’s killing tree rats at six months of age. Just got to work with what you have got, plenty of time and patience. You’ll know when enough is enough and it’s just not in the dog. ..... and you’re a long way from that point yet. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Havelightforcewilltravel said:

Just thought but if spaniel s trained to gun they obviously don’t chase or grab stuff maybe pup thinks that’s what she thinks you expect of her.

Yeah didn't even consider that, however don't really do much training with the spaniel when she's around so nit sure she's actually been with us when the spaniel is flushing birds ? no doubts she will get there eventually, just need to make sure when I'm out again the odds are in her favour 

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

All dogs are different. I’ve got an 8 month old and a 15 month old at the moment. The younger one is sharper. The older one obviously runs better but the younger one was just born more predator like. My mate has a pup out of the big dog I lost recently and it’s killing tree rats at six months of age. Just got to work with what you have got, plenty of time and patience. You’ll know when enough is enough and it’s just not in the dog. ..... and you’re a long way from that point yet. 

Oh god yeah long long way from that. I still well and truly believe she's got what it takes without a doubt. My old man just mentioned the other day that I need to watch I don't make her sick by keep trying to get her going. Figured I would seek advice from people who know far more than me. Obviously I didn't consider things well with conditions I was out in but thought she was ready so figured I'd keep trying. Typically since then we've had 3 cloudy nights with decent wind but im reluctant to keep trying her locally as they clearly know what the lamp means and she won't have a great number to try catch anyway. 

1 hour ago, SheepChaser said:

ive had good few puos first rabbit at 6 month mate 

Just now, mC HULL said:

ive had good few puos first rabbit at 6 month mate 

Many dogs are catching rabbits at that age mate. 

It's always best to stack the odds in the dogs favour at the end of the day at that age. 

If the rabbits are that wise try and expand your permission, if you have ferrets though it's a no brainer.