Too much of nothing?

46 minutes ago, trigger2 said:

I don’t get where your coming from with the pressure side of things. Your best bet is to wait until the conditions are better ad try the pup then.  It may take a few goes for the penny to drop for the dog. As long has your not running the dog until it’s f****d every time then just persist with what your doing. It helps if your stood at the spot/hedge the rabbits are running back too, a dog will try that little harder when it’s close to you. Just be a little more sensible and the dog should get there. Have you take the dog out to watch another dog run the beam and catch a couple? 

Just feeling the pressure since she's only pup from litter to have not made a catch, call it silly but I feel like she should be catching also. She's only had maybe 4/5 total runs over about 8 lamping trips, numbers arent great around here  so definitely not been f****d after a night out. Yeah I've been trying to stand in the way they are running but most make off before I get near them. Unfortunately don't know many lads who run lurchers, and of the few I do none live close, have been offered chance to go out with a lad once but unfortunate timing as pup had hurt her leg. Would be ideal for her to watch another dog but chances of being able to are slim. Atb 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No pressure me owd bod ,chill out 10 month is young  , give her a break and try again  ,she be fine 

I remember being in the same position a lot of years ago. 12 month old bitch, one or two runs on the local fields most nights on rabbits that were more clued up than me with the lamping game. Then a o

Give her a month break don’t exercise her to much just keep her at her normal running weight take her out for very short walk on lead everyday just to empty, being rested for a good while can fire the

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, South hams hunter said:

Will she drop her head to strike? If not a Tennis ball on a roughish field bouncing around low to the ground  teaches alot about striking a moving object. 

I saw your post about the other pups but it's like having kids; don't try and compare or compete and just because someone says it's happened don't mean it has. Whilst she's only young just save lamping for those textbook nights so you can really put it in her favour 

If im honest mate she's never been interested in tennis balls when I'm out and about with her but will give it a try and see what she does, she's only really got close enough to 1 rabbit to attempt to strike at it but she just ran behind it for about 10 metres before it slipped into the hedge 

Just now, scottpenn28 said:

If im honest mate she's never been interested in tennis balls when I'm out and about with her but will give it a try and see what she does, she's only really got close enough to 1 rabbit to attempt to strike at it but she just ran behind it for about 10 metres before it slipped into the hedge 

How tall is she mate? So realistically has she ever dropped her head to have to grab anything? 

13 minutes ago, South hams hunter said:

That's a long way to get down especially for a young dog that may not be confident trying to grab a moving target. Try her with something moving mate imo

Yeah somebody mentioned getting Mrs to pull a dummy along and getting her to try grab it so am gonna give that ago, see how she does grabbing it on the move, make a game of it like 

On 19/11/2021 at 06:48, Qbgrey said:

Rest for a bit and be patient find a longish grass field that’s not been lamped to death, dark windy night and a rabbit out in the open. Lots of mixxy rabbits about too. Will it sicken if not catching??? Poss but other traits can creep in like stalking , or not running rabbits near cover , or not running flat out at them. Patience mate, slow down.

Lots of good advice in this thread and some good warnings here. Ive not had a dog that won't eventually catch, but hands up I have not always made entering easy enough and the result is dogs that lack confidence and we see it as lacking commitment. Personally I enter on ferreting trips and let them grab one that's in the purse net. At 10 months the dice must be loaded in the dogs favour. Good luck

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
22 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

Tried my bitch at 10 months old lamping for the first time...she did well tbf...she didn't have another go for probably 6 months....if I'm honest she was  not really fully matured imo until she just turned 3...now she knows the craic and what's expected of her in the day and on the lamp,don't be in a rush with em,they are all different,how's she bred? My bitch was from 2 half X's ,big old unit so didn't rush her along like previous dogs ?at 10 months old she looked ready for most things....20190126_160307.jpg.bb4918b7e6c3725cde73076439de2304.jpg

two belters mate

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Luckee legs said:

Lots of good advice in this thread and some good warnings here. Ive not had a dog that won't eventually catch, but hands up I have not always made entering easy enough and the result is dogs that lack confidence and we see it as lacking commitment. Personally I enter on ferreting trips and let them grab one that's in the purse net. At 10 months the dice must be loaded in the dogs favour. Good luck

I have no doubt she will catch eventually, lad who bred her has invited me out to help with is brilliant but was unfortunate at time as she took tumble over gate so didn't want to risk her. Giving her a break from lamping for now (which is typical as it's been pitch black here for last 2 nights ?) but will hopefully get her out with the ferrets sharpish.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Qbgrey said:

I d get the retrieving and recall bang on first , it may catch a rabbit and run off with it and worse eat the thing then your in a world of training trouble

Shes retrieving well with dummies and toys out and about so I'm hoping she will do the same with live game 

If shes not interested in tennis balls maybe try her with a flirt pole. Nothing to much just a few minutes to start with. I've had pups before not really interested in balls but go wild for flirt pole. I think it helps them with striking and also good for helping with retrieve. Have fun with her and try not to get frustrated which isn't easy sometimes. It will all work out in the end.

• Like 1