Too much of nothing?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No pressure me owd bod ,chill out 10 month is young  , give her a break and try again  ,she be fine 

I remember being in the same position a lot of years ago. 12 month old bitch, one or two runs on the local fields most nights on rabbits that were more clued up than me with the lamping game. Then a o

Give her a month break don’t exercise her to much just keep her at her normal running weight take her out for very short walk on lead everyday just to empty, being rested for a good while can fire the

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, scottpenn28 said:

First time I put lamp on them they got up and bolted like they'd had a bull x on their arse before. Nevertheless traveling isn't hard so I'll find some more ?

Why won’t you take the advice and let the pup be a pup? You’ll be on here in a few months looking for a new pup cose your one yap jacks and stalks and it will all be your fault, good luck with the pup anyhow mate ?

• Like 2
Just now, Busher100 said:

Why won’t you take the advice and let the pup be a pup? You’ll be on here in a few months looking for a new pup cose your one yap jacks and stalks and it will all be your fault, good luck with the pup anyhow mate ?

I think you may have misunderstood, be that my terrible grammar and how I type or through how its being read. 

All the advice I've been given is massively appreciated and I've already thanked you all because once again the people on this forum have genuinely been nothing but helpful to me, not for the first time I might add. 

One thing I can promise you is, I've taken all the advice I've been given on board. With that in mind I did mention a few comments ago that I would be giving her a break from the lamping. I'm due to start ferreting soon (been waiting for cover to die off but doesn't look to be happening any time soon) so will take her ferreting with me and see how she fairs with netted rabbits. Other than that I will do as has been suggested by numerous people and hold back on the rush to get her running the lamp. 

The quoted comment you mentioned was merely my attempt at a little humour as im not sure I've ever seen a comment from black neck that wasn't even slightly humorous. Please don't think advice given to me has fallen on deaf ears as I assure you it has not. Majority of you know far more than me when it comes to lurchers so to ignore advice would be foolish. Atb 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, scottpenn28 said:

The ground I've been on currently is arable land and smaller grass fields. Fields are all bordered by decent thick hedges. Know I should have waited for conditions to be right but like I mentioned, pressure and a lack of patience to get her going means I've been trying whenever I can. Tbh her last run she was right on the rabbit, I was more shocked that she didn't actually grab it. It was the only squatter we've found local and got within about 3 yards of it before it got up and bolted, she took off as soon as it moved but just stayed millimetres from its tail and didn't make the grab. She's close to them and she's running the majority very well. 

I don’t get where your coming from with the pressure side of things. Your best bet is to wait until the conditions are better ad try the pup then.  It may take a few goes for the penny to drop for the dog. As long has your not running the dog until it’s f****d every time then just persist with what your doing. It helps if your stood at the spot/hedge the rabbits are running back too, a dog will try that little harder when it’s close to you. Just be a little more sensible and the dog should get there. Have you take the dog out to watch another dog run the beam and catch a couple? 

5 hours ago, Greb147 said:

Listen fella I've given you all the advice you need, just stop badgering me.

If you or Scott want to pay me to bring your dogs up to catching standard then I'll happily do that. 

No droppers will be needed, money back guarantee. 

• Haha 1
21 hours ago, scottpenn28 said:

How much can a dog take before it gets sick? 

Pup is around 10 month old now and been out on lamp with her a fair few times now after getting her geared up throughout the summer. We've been heading out local now for couple of months but as of yet she's not made her first catch. 

Been out every night this week so far, and whilst the elements have been against us, (full moon, no cloud, no rain). She has managed a few runs this week but still no catch. Last night she had a run where I was certain she was gonna grab it and she never did, bunny safely made it home. 

Now, I've heard about making dogs sick if they keep running and don't catch. How much is she likely to take before she starts turning her nose up at running the lamp? 

Just got home and whilst we still have full moon, we have much more cloud cover tonight so thinking of heading out, but don't want to spoil this dog as its my belief she definitely has what it takes, she just doesn't fully know yet what she's supposed to do?! 

Will she drop her head to strike? If not a Tennis ball on a roughish field bouncing around low to the ground  teaches alot about striking a moving object. 

I saw your post about the other pups but it's like having kids; don't try and compare or compete and just because someone says it's happened don't mean it has. Whilst she's only young just save lamping for those textbook nights so you can really put it in her favour