Too much of nothing?

How much can a dog take before it gets sick? 

Pup is around 10 month old now and been out on lamp with her a fair few times now after getting her geared up throughout the summer. We've been heading out local now for couple of months but as of yet she's not made her first catch. 

Been out every night this week so far, and whilst the elements have been against us, (full moon, no cloud, no rain). She has managed a few runs this week but still no catch. Last night she had a run where I was certain she was gonna grab it and she never did, bunny safely made it home. 

Now, I've heard about making dogs sick if they keep running and don't catch. How much is she likely to take before she starts turning her nose up at running the lamp? 

Just got home and whilst we still have full moon, we have much more cloud cover tonight so thinking of heading out, but don't want to spoil this dog as its my belief she definitely has what it takes, she just doesn't fully know yet what she's supposed to do?! 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No pressure me owd bod ,chill out 10 month is young  , give her a break and try again  ,she be fine 

I remember being in the same position a lot of years ago. 12 month old bitch, one or two runs on the local fields most nights on rabbits that were more clued up than me with the lamping game. Then a o

Give her a month break don’t exercise her to much just keep her at her normal running weight take her out for very short walk on lead everyday just to empty, being rested for a good while can fire the

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, scottpenn28 said:

How much can a dog take before it gets sick? 

Pup is around 10 month old now and been out on lamp with her a fair few times now after getting her geared up throughout the summer. We've been heading out local now for couple of months but as of yet she's not made her first catch. 

Been out every night this week so far, and whilst the elements have been against us, (full moon, no cloud, no rain). She has managed a few runs this week but still no catch. Last night she had a run where I was certain she was gonna grab it and she never did, bunny safely made it home. 

Now, I've heard about making dogs sick if they keep running and don't catch. How much is she likely to take before she starts turning her nose up at running the lamp? 

Just got home and whilst we still have full moon, we have much more cloud cover tonight so thinking of heading out, but don't want to spoil this dog as its my belief she definitely has what it takes, she just doesn't fully know yet what she's supposed to do?! 

Give her a month break don’t exercise her to much just keep her at her normal running weight take her out for very short walk on lead everyday just to empty, being rested for a good while can fire them up a bit 

• Like 4

Just see pups only 10 month give it till 12 month old and start doing some road walks every other day until 14 month give the dog 2 days full rest then take it out and find it a squatter in open on lamp, it is only a pup stop lamping it if I was you mate atb ? 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

I took my blue bitch out from 8 weeks ferreting and didn't make her first catch till 5months. She ended up my best ever rabbit dog. I'd take your dog ferreting to give it some confidence but I don't think a dog from good working lines ever sickens of hunting.

I do plan I taking her out with ferrets but can't guarantee her a rabbit then, numbers aren't great around here. Hopefully get chance in next couple of weeks to get out with ferrets though. I hope your right and she doesn't sicken 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Busher100 said:

Just see pups only 10 month give it till 12 month old and start doing some road walks every other day until 14 month give the dog 2 days full rest then take it out and find it a squatter in open on lamp, it is only a pup stop lamping it if I was you mate atb ? 

Been trying to find all this week, but the few rabbits we have around here tend to be a bit nervous and don't stay still too long. First squatter last night and like I said in post I was sure she was gonna get it. Must have been millimetres from it! 

I remember being in the same position a lot of years ago. 12 month old bitch, one or two runs on the local fields most nights on rabbits that were more clued up than me with the lamping game. Then a old mate of mine took me lamping on some rough ground, edge of moorland type land an hour away and the bitch caught 12 bunnies on her first night, missing very few. she never looked back and in my eyes, at the time,became a champion in one night? 

Go, travel and find some easy kills for the dog?

• Like 6

Rest for a bit and be patient find a longish grass field that’s not been lamped to death, dark windy night and a rabbit out in the open. Lots of mixxy rabbits about too. Will it sicken if not catching??? Poss but other traits can creep in like stalking , or not running rabbits near cover , or not running flat out at them. Patience mate, slow down.

• Like 1

Another vote for rabbits way out on rough ground, probably jinx the next pup but they normally catch the first one.

Don't think missing daft rabbits on the lamp or all summer long missing rabbits on holes/cover in the day does pups any good. Sure lots of faults folk talk about are learnt from this sort of thing

• Like 1

Like said try her ferreting so it give her the feel of it in her mouth when in the net.The moon won’t her as it lights everything up anyway mate.She is still a baby and there is plenty of time yet.Even if she only gets 1 on the lamp at the end of the season it give the dog time to know what she is there for and can sleep on it for the next season.To me you are to keen to get the dog going just 1 or 2 runs on a good dark windy night mate will be better for you.But I would let her get a hold of 1 in the net ferreting so she knows the feel of the fur in her mouth.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Black neck said:

Plenty of time be a different dog in a couple month  at least wait till the moon fecks off and some wind 

See this often lads wanting too much too early. Like he said fullmoon no rain no cloud but missed out the ( No wind ). But its way too early for a pup not only will it knock its confidence you might blow its lungs. Go back to the wild dog in them the mother of a litter provides for her pups till past 12 months maybe upto 2 years of age depending on the maturity. Then in the pack some mature more than others an you see that in the runs when running prey down. So your right mate plenty of time  

• Like 2
9 hours ago, scottpenn28 said:

Shes only pup from her litter not to catch anything yet, safe to say I'm feeling the pressure. 

Honestly mate you will spoil your dog watch your pals dogs start picking and choosing runs by the time it’s 2 year old were as yours will be raring to go and put em to shame if you was to hold it back to 14 or 15 month, take a good side on picture of your sapling at 10 month take the same picture at 14 or 15 month after some fitness different animal 

• Like 2