Hard day up in the mountains..

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had a tough day out in the mountains yesterday,weather was kind if nothing else & that's a bonus for sure! I'm sure age has a hell of a lot to do with how difficult I'm finding walking in & am

Thankyou,I miss my Ruby matey as I'm sure you do your Nell..life's not the same for me without her here that's for sure. I've had some great dog's over the year's & not all running dog's but Ruby

When Ruby had not long seen her 14th birthday we took it upon ourselves to walk the Lairig Ghru drovers path right through the heart of the Cairngorms,the path reaches a height of almost 3000ft &

Posted Images

believe me or believe not my friend, i had a tear in my eye when i read about Ruby,  i enjoyed your posts about that little dog, it really creased me when i took nell to the vets and they put her to sleep, but it would have beeen utterly selfish of me to have kept her as she was cushings disease got her in the end , but  i no deep in my dog loving heart i did the right thing by her 

rip Nell 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
27 minutes ago, iworkwhippets said:

believe me or believe not my friend, i had a tear in my eye when i read about Ruby,  i enjoyed your posts about that little dog, it really creased me when i took nell to the vets and they put her to sleep, but it would have beeen utterly selfish of me to have kept her as she was cushings disease got her in the end , but  i no deep in my dog loving heart i did the right thing by her 

rip Nell 

Thankyou,I miss my Ruby matey as I'm sure you do your Nell..life's not the same for me without her here that's for sure. I've had some great dog's over the year's & not all running dog's but Ruby was the best of the lot by a country mile..on her final day with me I wrapped her up in my shirt & travelled to some of our favourite places here in the Lake District,we parked up several times & I had the craic with her reminiscing of days long gone,I'm not gonna lie I broke my heart I did,it was our last adventure together,i took her to the vet's on the way home & had her put to sleep..what a dog she was for me ❤️ ..here she is on our final journey ?

IMG_20211118_214439.jpg

• Like 8
  • Sad 9
6 minutes ago, FUJI said:

Thankyou,I miss my Ruby matey as I'm sure you do your Nell..life's not the same for me without her here that's for sure. I've had some great dog's over the year's & not all running dog's but Ruby was the best of the lot by a country mile..on her final day with me I wrapped her up in my shirt & travelled to some of our favourite places here in the Lake District,we parked up several times & I had the craic with her reminiscing of days long gone,I'm not gonna lie I broke my heart I did,it was our last adventure together,i took her to the vet's on the way home & had her put to sleep..what a dog she was for me ❤️ ..here she is on our final journey ?

IMG_20211118_214439.jpg

Fair play 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

bloody hell matey, if that pic dunna tug on folks heart strings .   my late wife loved that little dog just like i did we loved reading of your outings with her , getting a tad sentimental here , an owd age thing i suppose but id like to think, they are both somewhere running together , there now havent i made a fool of myself 

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, FUJI said:

IMG_20211118_214439.jpg

Have had a dog like that, fuji, not a runner, but damn near broke my heart,vwhich I never thought would happen.  ?

• Like 1

When Ruby had not long seen her 14th birthday we took it upon ourselves to walk the Lairig Ghru drovers path right through the heart of the Cairngorms,the path reaches a height of almost 3000ft & is surrounded by some of the highest peaks in the UK including Braeriach,Cairn Toul,Angel's Peak etc & we done it on what was the hottest day of the year,no shade & the temp was in excess of 30c,the distance covered was 23 miles,she walked the whole route in one day & in human years she would of been over a hundred year's of age..as we were walking towards the Linn of Dee in the evening she was still out in front blazing a trail just like she always did,as I walked behind her I shed a few tears of pride..the next morning when my Mrs came to collect us she too started to cry as she was unaware if Ruby had made it as we had no phone signal to contact each other,we arranged where to be picked up the previous day,Ruby just bounded towards the car as if she hadn't even been on a 100 yard walk,over the year's she summited 100's of mountains,walked tens of thousands of miles & I know this as even in her last year with a GPS on she walked in excess of 3000 miles..where I went she went,more people knew of her & her exploits than they did me..on foot,by car,by boat we went everywhere together..a dog she was but she was totally unique both out hunting & as my companion & shadow..we lived our dream together we did ❤️

'Us in Corrour Bothy stopping for a bite to eat enroute along the Lairig Ghru ???????

IMG_20211118_221342.jpg

• Like 14

Nice post Andy...?

Every time this happens to me,...(and it has occurred many times, over my last 60 seasons...) I am always reminded of Kipling's words...

He wrote,..."Never give your heart to a dog to tear"...?

A canny piece of script,...but we never learn from it, do we....

Onwards and upwards, Brother,....all the best, stay safe, OldPhil.?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
21 hours ago, FUJI said:

When Ruby had not long seen her 14th birthday we took it upon ourselves to walk the Lairig Ghru drovers path right through the heart of the Cairngorms,the path reaches a height of almost 3000ft & is surrounded by some of the highest peaks in the UK including Braeriach,Cairn Toul,Angel's Peak etc & we done it on what was the hottest day of the year,no shade & the temp was in excess of 30c,the distance covered was 23 miles,she walked the whole route in one day & in human years she would of been over a hundred year's of age..as we were walking towards the Linn of Dee in the evening she was still out in front blazing a trail just like she always did,as I walked behind her I shed a few tears of pride..the next morning when my Mrs came to collect us she too started to cry as she was unaware if Ruby had made it as we had no phone signal to contact each other,we arranged where to be picked up the previous day,Ruby just bounded towards the car as if she hadn't even been on a 100 yard walk,over the year's she summited 100's of mountains,walked tens of thousands of miles & I know this as even in her last year with a GPS on she walked in excess of 3000 miles..where I went she went,more people knew of her & her exploits than they did me..on foot,by car,by boat we went everywhere together..a dog she was but she was totally unique both out hunting & as my companion & shadow..we lived our dream together we did ❤️

'Us in Corrour Bothy stopping for a bite to eat enroute along the Lairig Ghru ???????

IMG_20211118_221342.jpg

You need to write a book bro

• Thanks 1