Rifle ammo or calibre??

Having some issues with my hmr. Browning t bolt. It's accurate enough, hitting targets at several distances. But too often now when I hit something (nothing over 110yds) I'm getting feathers come off but the crow flies off. This never used to be an issue. Still using vmax 17gn I've always used. This is main reason I'm considering swapping for a hornet.

Any thoughts or suggestions on different hmr ammo? Cheers

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gave it a clean last night    93yds 

I've been enjoying the cz 455 I just got in 17hmr. I also acquired some of the ammunition from that notorious time when the cases were splitting! Ever likely folk were put off, me included!

My 457 took this dog fox tonight. Nice 100yd shot. Totally ignored the spotter lamp and the gun lamp. Had to stop him for the shot. Perfect placement and complete pass through. Ran 40yds and pile

Posted Images

Just now, Sausagedog said:

It's good that you are hitting a 2" target at 100 Ben but we're they in the center or spread all over it or were they just on one edge?

When was the barrel de- coppered?

In all honesty the gong is so pock marked I can't tell! Just see & hear each hit. 

Erm........ de coppered..... my cleaning regime isn't great!! No, not since I've owned it (got it 2nd hand) 

The thing with hmr ballistic tips is inconsistent fragmentation. It depends what they strike in the body of a small animal or bird, that determines the terminal effect. If they only contact soft tissue, not a vital organ, they can pass through with very little expansion, therefore not always an instant kill. But then, I might be talking crap, it has been known??