Dory boat

On 15/11/2021 at 22:08, whippet IRL said:

Anyone know the name and model of this boat. Iv been told its a dory. The lengh is 16/17ft

IMG_20211109_182825.jpg

Looks like an old style "Shetland 535"  to me mate.

Cheers Arry

Edited by Arry
  • Like 2
On 17/11/2021 at 01:04, Arry said:

Looks like an old style "Shetland 535"  to me mate.

Cheers Arry

The shetlands had the sloped down gunnels but dont remember ever seeing one with a cuddly like that Arry, but i may well be wrong! Either way I would say it is a fairly old boat (probably 30-40yr old), and If it was mine i would be checking the floor and transom for soft spots and rot before I hung an outboard off it,  not worrying about the make and model. If you are needing to know make and model for insurance tell them the plate is missing and offer to send them photos but be prepared to shop around for a reasonable quote.  I have fished off a few boats with similar hulls over the years,  and they were all stable, seaworthy hulls? Post a photo on worrldseafishing.com in the boat section and someone will recognize it I would bet...

14 hours ago, gazjon5 said:

The shetlands had the sloped down gunnels but dont remember ever seeing one with a cuddly like that Arry, but i may well be wrong! Either way I would say it is a fairly old boat (probably 30-40yr old), and If it was mine i would be checking the floor and transom for soft spots and rot before I hung an outboard off it,  not worrying about the make and model. If you are needing to know make and model for insurance tell them the plate is missing and offer to send them photos but be prepared to shop around for a reasonable quote.  I have fished off a few boats with similar hulls over the years,  and they were all stable, seaworthy hulls? Post a photo on worrldseafishing.com in the boat section and someone will recognize it I would bet...

I do agree. since you post and I can't find one with windows like that but it looks like a Shetland. Just reminds me of a mate of mine he had one.

Cheers Arry

I'd say that was made for a river rather than the sea with the gunnels like that and the bounce stops on each corner,a sea going boat has lower gunnels as most of the time your doing something over the side where as on a river you sit and cruise as such and many of the boats on the broads are high sided like that is..Also it looks a heavy'ish boat and so a bigger engine would be needed for it at sea than it would the river and at least 50 HP would be the difference,so likes been said check the transom is strong enough to handle a 50 + HP engine.Good fun doing a boat up and i'm lucky in building up to what i have now by doing up wrecks and selling them on and finaly getting the perfect set up for both inshore and off shore fishing...:victory:

• Like 2